ktm525xcatv

Did the banks double dip with this recession

No. You still owe the bank money.

Lets say you lend me $20k. I go to gamble it away. Tell you to go pound sand, and file bankruptcy. Do I owe you money? Or if you go bankrupt, does it mean I don't have to pay you back?

I don't know if bankruptcy covers personal loans.

I won't loan people more then $5 anyway.

Unions = the death of this country

While they did serve a purpose in the past there are a lot of companies and employees over time that would benefit more so if they were done away with for the most part, but there are still cases that they do serve a purpose but not like that did at one time.

Harry

Do you even know how much an auto worker actually made wage wise?? I know the exact number. I really want to hear what other people actually think an autoworker makes in those factories. There is a lot of misinformation about wages in the media and its actually pretty pathetic considering a lot of collective bargaining agreements are available online at the NLRB website. All the companies ever had to say at the contract negotiations was "NO". Mismanagement from the top down destroyed those car companies. Not necessarily all the unions fault. Corruption within the union and management has been known to happen but again, upper managment had a hand in a lot of the issues. Now public employee unions are a whole different ball game.

Would depend on the position as with any industry, but I would say the AVG auto worker is in the range of 28 to the mid 30's per hour if I had to guess, but I think the larger problem is not that compensation for the auto worker in what they receive in there paycheck, but the actual cost per hour per employee to the company. I am not in that industry and have no affiliation but I would guess the cost to the company would be closer to 60-80 bucks an hour when you add up insurance, cost of training, benefits etc.

Close??

Harry

While they did serve a purpose in the past there are a lot of companies and employees over time that would benefit more so if they were done away with for the most part, but there are still cases that they do serve a purpose but not like that did at one time.

Harry

If we carefully examine the history of unions, they were developed to protect the worker, in all aspects of his employ. This included safety on the job, collective bargaining for decent wages, daily hour limits, etc.

Now let us consider which of these varied tasks the Union still completes: In the Construction Trade unions they still educate their people, but beyond those unions... The NEA certainly does not educate any teachers. OSHA now takes care of all worker safety - it's true that there are few OSHA inspectors - but if you make a call, they are like flies on crap... The Government now mandates a minimum wage, a normal day (8 hours), overtime pay for Non-Exempt workers, etc. Even healthcare due to Obama care - except for Union workers who can "opt out"...

The only thing that remains really is the collective bargaining, and IMO this should be up to each worker. Of course, as companies get larger, it is more difficult to "make your own deal" as you can in a small company, but beyond that, Unions, for the most part, have an insignificant role in day to day operations.

They continue to suck the life out of the worker via "dues" and in many cases provide inept or zero representation on the part of the worker. For the record, I was a Teamster - local 177, the Union did crap for me, I saw a fellow male worker get physically assaulted by a female supervisor and the Union did S-Q-U-A-T. Today, I would have called the cops - F the Union...

Consider for a moment how much the Union worker pays in dues, and compare it to what "Regular NonUnion Joe" pays in health and medical benefits - in that case, I think more often than not, the costs are equal - perhaps even less for NonUnion Joe.

Put 10% of your income away.

Good rule to live by, my father taught be a very good lesson when I was just a teenager, he said to pay myself first and live off what is left over, I have been doing that for the past 28 years, it's nice to know that Pension money and Social Security will be just found money and not needed but be gladly excepted.

I give that same advise to all the people who work for me and they have all come back a few years later when they see what they have invested and what their net worth is and tank me.

Harry

Is it not this mentality that got us here in the first place. I can just take money and not pay it back because i am unable to do so.. Then complain when the repo men show up to take your belongings. I have a news flash for you, you may not be paying off your debt, but other people are doing it for you. When the banks take a hit from you, they just take it from other people, they have never and will never sport your bill. People can blame the banks all they want but when it comes down to it, they did not force your to take out a loan you couldnt pay, or make you swipe that card thousands of times. So in reality, i have no issue with the banks, i have issues with people who feel they are entitled to free money.

I also have a very big issue with people on unemployment who feel they are entitled to sit on there a** and just collect. People honestly need it, and they try to work, but cant. I also know people on unemployment who have under the table jobs which pisses me off even more. Why a 25 year old who never had a real job to begin with gets unemployment is beyond me, with the current system i see why people fall into this mentality but it is not right. I know people who make more money sitting on there a** doing nothing then before they were let go from there previous job.

+1000

I know if I lost my job tomorrow, I would be putting applications at every Costco, Lowe's, Home Depot, Sam's Club etc, I would do what I had to try and maintain my lifestyle but support my family is first and foremost. I do not feel anyone on this earth owes me anything other than myself to myself.

Harry

$28 /hour is about right. I have heard of people saying that the auto worker makes $70/hr which is ridiculous. No autoworker makes that much. As far as cost per employee it doesnt matter union or non union you still have to pay for insurance, cost of training and benefits. Just goes with the price of running a business. I suppose a company could offer no benefits but would good employees stick around? Probably not.

Would depend on the position as with any industry, but I would say the AVG auto worker is in the range of 28 to the mid 30's per hour if I had to guess, but I think the larger problem is not that compensation for the auto worker in what they receive in there paycheck, but the actual cost per hour per employee to the company. I am not in that industry and have no affiliation but I would guess the cost to the company would be closer to 60-80 bucks an hour when you add up insurance, cost of training, benefits etc.

Close??

Harry

$28 /hour is about right. I have heard of people saying that the auto worker makes $70/hr which is ridiculous. No autoworker makes that much. As far as cost per employee it doesnt matter union or non union you still have to pay for insurance, cost of training and benefits. Just goes with the price of running a business. I suppose a company could offer no benefits but would good employees stick around? Probably not.

The only reason I added the cost to the company was because over all the years we the public have herd the labor rumblings and settlements. Seems the perception was that in lue of somethings asked by the union for the employee was met with additional benefits, over and beyond what most other industries have. That and it seems over history this had repeated it's self taking the normal balance that other industries have in Wages vs. Benefit's and swings them way out of the norm.

Again, just an outside observer with no real knowledge of the industry other then my vehicles keep cost more and more and car loans are getting closer to mortgages. I help where I can, 1 truck, 2 cars and 2 bikes so I'm trying to help the economy. :)

Harry

I won't loan people more then $5 anyway.

Yet you owe this much:

$20,000 on one maxed out

$17,000 on another

$2,000 maxed out on a cabelas card

$800 on a walmart card

So if the construction industry doesn't improve the banks may have to eat that debt.

And you have no intentions of paying it back simply because you refuse to find a job in any field but construction. You're just an all around douche. Please, don't insult NJ by coming here.

• Like 1

Yet you owe this much:

And you have no intentions of paying it back simply because you refuse to find a job in any field but construction. You're just an all around douche. Please, don't insult NJ by coming here.

I will attempt to find a job but only making a few dollars an hour will just be enough to pay, rent, food, diesel, insurance.

Banks are the douces here for destroying out economy. Yet their CEO's will all take home $10,000,000+++ a year.

I will attempt to find a job but only making a few dollars an hour will just be enough to pay, rent, food, diesel, insurance.

Banks are the douces here for destroying out economy. Yet their CEO's will all take home $10,000,000+++ a year.

Just being able to pay for rent, food, gas, and insurance is better than no job at all. Almost EVERY company CEO makes millions upon millions of dollars a year, not just the banks. It's also pretty hard to ENTIRELY blame the banks for crashing our economy. They didn't just stand out on the street and hand out money to people, the people came into the banks and ASKED for it when they KNEW they were going to be living above their means. In fact, you have $40k racked up in debt...that you admitted to. You're one of those asshats that contributed to the mess we are in. If you think the banks are such douches, then DON'T USE THEM. Don't have ANY ACCOUNTS AT ALL with ANY BANKS. Hide your money under your mattress, and when you have $300k+ saved up, buy a house.

Just being able to pay for rent, food, gas, and insurance is better than no job at all. Almost EVERY company CEO makes millions upon millions of dollars a year, not just the banks. It's also pretty hard to ENTIRELY blame the banks for crashing our economy. They didn't just stand out on the street and hand out money to people, the people came into the banks and ASKED for it when they KNEW they were going to be living above their means. In fact, you have $40k racked up in debt...that you admitted to. You're one of those asshats that contributed to the mess we are in. If you think the banks are such douches, then DON'T USE THEM. Don't have ANY ACCOUNTS AT ALL with ANY BANKS. Hide your money under your mattress, and when you have $300k+ saved up, buy a house.

You are 100% correct sir. The credit crisis begun when people borrowed beyond their means, not because banks allowed it to happen. People did not understand credit, they did not understand their own finances, and they did't give a **** either. They went out and spent to their hearts' content and in the end they screwed themselves, it's not the banks' fault.

I don't wish to let the banks off free and clear, I think they could have handled it at least slightly more responsibly. However....the banks did not FORCE people to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on their credit cards, or take out mortgages well beyond their means. They allowed it to happen, but they did not provoke it to happen.