Membership only (yearly, $60 for non-mil/vet; $30 otherwise). Members can bring up to four guests (according to their pamphlet). $3 per hour, for everyone.

They do not have steel targets on hand, but do sell paper targets on wooden posts. They also have post-hole diggers on-site, though I personally use my own shovel that I just keep in my box o' targets in my trunk. However you can shoot at steel, though the RO needs to approve of it first (normally), and it can only be put at the max range of 200yd. From what I've heard and seen, the steel targets have to be swingers (or capable of swinging).

Its my go-to range, as I personally prefer to shoot outdoors. Costs aren't bad at all too, considering the price of membership at surrounding locations. The range itself is relatively spacious, and straight-forward. Nice thing is that on the pistol and rifle ranges, you can place your targets virtually anywhere (there are caveats) within your "lane."

Skeet and trap ranges are available too, though I cannot really comment on them as I am not experienced in trap and/or skeet and don't really know what qualifies as a nice trap/skeet range.

Membership only (yearly, $60 for non-mil/vet; $30 otherwise). Members can bring up to four guests (according to their pamphlet). $3 per hour, for everyone.

They do not have steel targets on hand, but do sell paper targets on wooden posts. They also have post-hole diggers on-site, though I personally use my own shovel that I just keep in my box o' targets in my trunk. However you can shoot at steel, though the RO needs to approve of it first (normally), and it can only be put at the max range of 200yd. From what I've heard and seen, the steel targets have to be swingers (or capable of swinging).

Its my go-to range, as I personally prefer to shoot outdoors. Costs aren't bad at all too, considering the price of membership at surrounding locations. The range itself is relatively spacious, and straight-forward. Nice thing is that on the pistol and rifle ranges, you can place your targets virtually anywhere (there are caveats) within your "lane."

Skeet and trap ranges are available too, though I cannot really comment on them as I am not experienced in trap and/or skeet and don't really know what qualifies as a nice trap/skeet range.

Can you drive through fort dix with your weapons? I have valid Military ID, or do I have to go all the way around?

I'm not sure as that is per BC's orders, and I'm not familiar with the installation's regulations regarding transporting personally owned firearms. You would be best consulting with the correct people at Dix.

As for Range 14, its of course on Ft Dix property, but is accessed via public roads-- so, regular transportation rules apply.

So they may not like you shooting at old propane tanks? Maybe if you hang them from something?

yeah, I don't think thats gonna fly with the RO in the tower. Any steel target must be on a swivel or hanging, not fixed, a round would have to virtually push the steel out of the way as to not ricochet. Lunker has a steel target that he made, looks basically like a bent piece of re-bar shaped into a upside down U, with a steel plate hanging from it by 2 steel cables. I also believe steel HAS to be @ 200 yds only. someone correct me if i'm wrong on that.

They sell standard targets (pine strips with targets stapled onto them) and clays.. I typically use a real estate sign frame, and change out the insert. Lunker has the right idea as well, take all the political vote for so and so signs when you see them around your hood, once the elections are over of course :icon_twisted:

For those wondering if you can drive through FT. Dix (or McGuire) with your weapons: that would be a big fat NO - military or not. However, Range 14 is technically on Fort Dix, but is outside the fenced area, which means you can get to it (via New Egypt or Cookstown) without entering the more restricted part of the base. I also advise you strictly follow the speed limits (and any other laws, like littering) while heading to the range. The DoD police are not known for just giving warnings!

yeah, I don't think thats gonna fly with the RO in the tower. Any steel target must be on a swivel or hanging, not fixed, a round would have to virtually push the steel out of the way as to not ricochet. Lunker has a steel target that he made, looks basically like a bent piece of re-bar shaped into a upside down U, with a steel plate hanging from it by 2 steel cables. I also believe steel HAS to be @ 200 yds only. someone correct me if i'm wrong on that.

They sell standard targets (pine strips with targets stapled onto them) and clays.. I typically use a real estate sign frame, and change out the insert. Lunker has the right idea as well, take all the political vote for so and so signs when you see them around your hood, once the elections are over of course :icon_twisted:

Yeah, steel targets need to be at 200 yards, essentially at the berm. I even made a target stand out of 2x4s and the RO wouldn't let me have it closer than 25 yards because I was shooting .22! Real estate signs and the like seem to be okay, though, as long as the target itself is paper/cardboard/clays/etc.

They are very safety conscious at 14, really a good thing, and probably an artifact of being on a military base.

For those wondering if you can drive through FT. Dix (or McGuire) with your weapons: that would be a big fat NO - military or not. However, Range 14 is technically on Fort Dix, but is outside the fenced area, which means you can get to it (via New Egypt or Cookstown) without entering the more restricted part of the base. I also advise you strictly follow the speed limits (and any other laws, like littering) while heading to the range. The DoD police are not known for just giving warnings!

Thank you for clearing it up. It's not a problem for me to get there going the long way around, It would just be quicker to drive through. I hope to be there this wednesday

Thanks to the marvels of google I ended up joining this forum. Sorry if somewhat off-topic, but seemed to be something the helpful expert posters here have some info on...

...I moved last month to Browns Mills NJ (from Levittown PA). I am retired but do a lot of driving to PA, and found Mapquest and maps shows roads that are extra convenient, except several don't go through since 9/11 due to non-public base "restricted access". Without a military id i get turned around; I tried a few.

I wrote several Joint Base public affairs and community offices and asked if there were public maps or other info that indicate what roads are closed to the public. All ignored my inquiries totally - no replies.

I realize there are precautions due to 9/11 and the Pizza plot that make sense. I actually get a little nervous when I try a road and reach a warning sign or dead-end. I actually enjoy watching planes land and take-off and drove around looking for a suitable "best view" vantage point. I didn't find anything. A friend who is a Pemberton policeman recounted his teenage years of driving up Trenton/Texas and parking at the foot of the runway and watching the planes land while laying on the car hood.

I am happy to provide photo id, address, and other info to anyone who suspects I may have less than benevolent interest in asking the following questions:

1) is there a map online or otherwise available that shows where the public is barred on access roads?

2) do all public access bars apply to walking as well?

3) is there a suitable (public access)vantage point for best viewing of airplane activity?

4) I note the 317 bus runs through the base, presumably on roads I cannot access by car... could I effectively "tour" the base to see the runways or

other activity that interests me by taking a bus ride from Browns Mills to Cookstown without disembarking, and be considered a safe idle tourist and nothing more?

Thanks!

Do you have a car? If you mapquest to 10 Cookstown Browns Mills road in Cookstown, NJ. Go straight south on that road - that goes through Ft Dix and it's a public road. You'll see signs for "Range #" - Range 14 will be a couple miles down on your left.

I'm always itching to shoot outside on nice days, so I joined Range 14 today instead of doing a Pa. run. I enjoyed myself, and will be there on a regular basis, probably Wednesday's which is one of my shooting days. Only 45 minutes from my house, and will beat fighting traffic to Lakewood this summer. Got there around 12:40 and chatted on the some of the old timers on the front porch while waiting for them to open.

Going to be on the look out for almost rotten fruits and veggies. Shooting paper plates, cans and bottles of water today was a lot more fun than shooting paper. Need a good variety of melons for next week.

ben to range 14 a couple of weeks ago. love to shoot outside as well. bought one of their $3 targets but ill probably bring my own next time.had fun that day, they also told me you can use any ammo you want except tracers.i will be out there again this saturday .

I emptied a 7 round mag on my 22lr Marlin.. :search: and I barely noticed..

They also have like 10 Pistol only tables to the LEFT.. which are separate from the 15 lanes for rifle (which is like stated above is 200 yards)..

Rifle range is marked off at 25, 50, 100, 150, 200

you get a bench with a roof, and 1 PAD on each side for prone or whatever shooting..

you can shoot shotgun on the rifle range.. (clean up your hulls though)

horrible cell pic from last Saturday.. my targets are at 100 and 200 yards.

Range.jpg

I go every other weekend usually..

I shoot clays on the little 'rooster' posts.. I do have some small 3" steel AR500 I shoot out at 200 yards also..

Al

I am thinking of trying this range. Targeting fruit and plastic bottles sounds like fun. How are they if you empty a ruger 1022 magazine in 2 seconds?

Guess you are talkin rapid fire. Range 14 does have a rule. Rapid fire is ok but defined as: 2 or 3 rapid shots and done. Pause. Do it again.

Last NJGF group at 14 may have had a couple of people who didn't know/care about the rule. So as you always see on NJGF let's not give us a bad name.

Practically speaking they are mostly concerned about 762/556/3006/308 and such noise.

So don't sweat any of that. Come out and have some fun.