Sign in to follow this  
Recon Racoon

Vetteril Model 1881

5562289451_f94ac86df5.jpg

5562289457_1a0191dea5.jpg

Vetterli Model 1881. Fires a 10.4x35 Rimfire cartridge. Designed to replace muzzle loading Swiss rifles in the early 1860's. Inherited this through my great grandmothers passing, because my great grandfather was an avid collector. The bolt was hell to pull back so I disassembled the bolt and cartridge elevator and used silver polish on the parts that were gunked up with grease that was over 125 years old.

• Like 1

Can you even source ammo for it anymore?

No original ammo is available. You can make cases from other brass (or buy them already made) but you have to convert the bolt to centerfire. You will also need to slug the bore to get what cast bullet size you need (they run .431-.432). It will cost about $150-200 for dies to do all this. It seems like a lot of work to go through for basically 45-70 ballistics. I may be able to put you in touch with someone who does this for himself and can steer you to some information sources. PM me if you're interested.

Try Buffalo Arms. They carry an assortment of obsolete cartridges.

I looked and no rim fire cartridges are available in 10.4. Like I said the bore is shot to the point I wouldn't want to shoot it any way, I just like it for its historical significance in bolt action rifles. At the time it was the most accurate bolt rifle and was a Swiss man's hunting rifle and military rifle. It was later imported to Italy during WWI and converted to 6.5 Carcanno.

I've been considering selling it to get a Mosin or start a savings for a VZ 24 Mauser.

They are not worth that much in shootable condition. A friend of mine picked one up recently for $150. I'd keep it as a wall hanger, family heirloom.

I've been seeing 150 as a common selling number on Gun Broker and they look a lot worse condition wise. Honestly this one isn't my favorite. I prefer my 11mm mauser over this. Its in better condition with a shootable bore, excellent stock, and in good working order. I only have two working fire arms, and thats a side by side 12 gauge made in the 80's and a Type 99 early production before they were desperate. Really I just like them for their history.

After hitting the bolt and elevator with silver polish I still had problems working the bolt. It was insanely stiff to pull back and very hard to push the bolt back into position. So I pulled it apart again today and hit polished some internal parts and hit the entire action with Kroil. I ran a couple patches down the bore with Kroil as well and it looks much better compared to what it was like when I got it. The bolt is redunkously fast to work now and it after working it a few times it didn't bind up and stop half way through the pull.