siderman

WTF are all these hi-tech optics?

Being reletively new to using long guns I'm way behind on the optics associated with them. I do know about standard scopes but all these Aimpoints, Eotechs etc I'm out of the loop. I could cruise around all over for bits and pcs of info but I'll throw it out here to the experienced people who use these things.Are they magnifiers, just fast target pickups, night vision whatever.Pricey stuff so whats the big deal on them?

The most common are Aimpoints and Eotechs. An aimpoint is a non-magnified red dot sight. An Eotech is a non-magnified "holographic" sight that places a reticule over the target. They are both widely used by military, law enforcement and sport shooters. Basically they allow for quick target acquisition, and both eye open shooting. Basically where the red dot or reticule is, is where the bullet is going to go.

Most models are night vision compatible. The main reason why they're so expensive is that they're overbuilt in order to take any abuse that hardcore (read: mil/le) users can throw at it.

• Like 2

The most common are Aimpoints and Eotechs. An aimpoint is a non-magnified red dot sight. An Eotech is a non-magnified "holographic" sight that places a reticule over the target. They are both widely used by military, law enforcement and sport shooters. Basically they allow for quick target acquisition, and both eye open shooting. Basically where the red dot or reticule is, is where the bullet is going to go.

Most models are night vision compatible. The main reason why they're so expensive is that they're overbuilt in order to take any abuse that hardcore (read: mil/le) users can throw at it.

Great response. They also are built so that battery usage is minimal. I think battery life on the good optics is what, 4yrs if left on?

EOTechs can vary, though four years is about right with them. Aimpoints can last up to ten years, though of course it would be recommended to change the batteries more often then that(!).

There are other 1X options, like the reflex sights, most notably the Trijicon Reflex. These are interesting optics because they require no batteries, and instead use the same type of technology that powers Trijicon's other products.

One of the issues with all of these types of optics currently is the washout issue. Going from light to dark, or vice versa, can cause the dot to be washed out by the background. Is it a major issue? Depends on type of use, though I would argue it is a bullet point to be considered regardless.

This can be remedied by dialing up the intensity of the dot/reticule (depending on the system), but that would defeat some of the practice of the 1X optic, as the dot/reticule could appear to be *too* bright.

• Like 1

Aimpoints and Eotechs and other type of sights like that called "Reflex Sights". They are "Parallax free" and have unlimited Eye Relief.

Parallax free means that if you move your head around, the dot will still be on the point of impact (if sighted in right).

Unlimited eye relief means that you can see the dot from any distance. Unlike a rifle scope, which means that you need a certain distance to see through properly, otherwise the view will be too small.

As others have said, do your research. It may seem daunting at times, cuz there's SO much info out there, but it's the best way to decide what works best for YOUR needs.

When it was time for me to choose, I went the with the Aimpoint H1 over the T1. Why? Because I wasn't planning on going scuba diving with my AR, and the likelihood of being able to afford any decent night vision equipment was slim to none. So I saved a few bux and got the H1.

• Like 1

As others have said, do your research. It may seem daunting at times, cuz there's SO much info out there, but it's the best way to decide what works best for YOUR needs.

When it was time for me to choose, I went the with the Aimpoint H1 over the T1. Why? Because I wasn't planning on going scuba diving with my AR, and the likelihood of being able to afford any decent night vision equipment was slim to none. So I saved a few bux and got the H1.

LOVE my H1... unbelievably light.. and VERY fast....

• Like 1