MarkWVU02

Mossberg 590a1

Took a drive out to cabelas today. Was looking to pick up an inexpensive HD shotgun but wound up walking out with a 590a1 with a speedfeed stock (a bit overkill but it's tax return time). My question is what should be done before I fire it. It's got a shitload of grease on it. Do I have to fully disassemble the shotgun and clean it? This is my first shotgun so I'm definitely a newb

sorry no pics unless someone can tell me how to post pics from my phone. My computer is broke

Congrats on your new purchase!

As with all of my newly purchased used/new guns, I like to strip them and clean them to make sure everything is okay...plus I'm picky.

I would definitely suggest disassembling it and cleaning it before shooting it. This not only to prevent malfunctions when you shoot it for the first time, but it also gets you to know the in's and out's of your new shotgun. I would suggest using some gun grease, as grease seems to do a better lubing job in shotguns than oil does...but that's just my personal preference.

Most of all, have fun doing everything stripping, cleaning, and shooting of course!

Thanks! Guess it's back to YouTube videos haha. Wish I knew someone that was familiar with this gun to walk me through it.

There's not much to a 590, wipe out the bore, clean any excessive oil or grease out of the breach, pull the trigger group out and clean it if you think you need to. The owners manual will have instructions on how to get it out.

It was a little tricky but I figured it out. Took it over to the bullet hole today...threw some birdshot down range at first then switched to buckshot. This gun is a TANK. It's a blast to shoot although my shoulder is going to feel it tomorrow. Might switch out the stock to a knoxx specops since it's adjustable. The speedfeed is long! That will be down the road a little. I figure I can sell the speedfeed to cover some of the cost of the knoxx. Now all need is some good HD ammo. Any suggestions? Living in an aparment buildng I need something that won't penetrate walls like 00 will.

A guy there let me shoot his bushmaster AR. It was sweet. Been debating building one but this mossy ate into funds a little more then I planned. I'm thinking of doing a slow AR build next just take my time finding all the right parts when I have the extra scratch.

Great purchase, couldn't have done much better. Did you get the 18 inch version or 20? Just saying cause the 20 inch version is a bit long.

As far as ammo recommendations, Remington makes a home defense birdshot that would be perfect for you.

@Ray I got the 20 inch version...it's long but the two inches isn't really that big of a difference (that's what she said). I'll take a look at that ammo. Been meaning to get to one of the group shoots you all do at Bayonne on Tuesday nights

@Jon thanks for the advice I'll pick some up and test it out. Right now it's loaded with 00 buck because it's all I have on hand.

I did install a knoxx specops stock on it (nrs version). It makes the shotty fit me much better and it's nice having the adjustable stock (especially when other people want to try it out, a couple of girls wanted to shoot it at BH on Sunday the adjustable stock made it much easier on them). The safety location doesn't really bother me that much. The slide release (not sure if that's what it's called) is a little difficult to get at, but there are ways around it. Overall I'm very pleased with the mossy 590A1.