Sign in to follow this  
alxsanz

Do I need a permit to trade a Handgun?

To break it down (for civilians), every pistol that comes into your possession without the owner present needs a permit. For each one. Doesn't matter if your father is giving it to you or your wife or your child. 1 permit, each pistol. Basically no exceptions.

EDIT: corrected the part about inheritance. No caveat. Even inherited pistols require a permit for each one.

Double Edit: As per the other posters below, if you directly inherit a pistol, you do not need a permit.

To break it down (for civilians), every pistol that comes into your possession without the owner present needs a permit. For each one. Doesn't matter if your father is giving it to you or your wife or your child. 1 permit, each pistol. Basically no exceptions.

EDIT: corrected the part about inheritance. No caveat. Even inherited pistols require a permit for each one.

You do NOT need a permit to inherit a handgun as long as you are inheriting it directly and it is not going to someone else (like your mother who then wants to give it to you).

• Like 1

You do NOT need a permit to inherit a handgun as long as you are inheriting it directly and it is not going to someone else (like your mother who then wants to give it to you).

Exactly right. If you are the inheritor, no paperwork is required.

• Like 1

So could I legally give one of my handguns to my son for his 21st birthday without a permit/paperwork?

Nope.

He may inherit it if you pass, providing that you will it to him, or that there are no other heirs with priority, but you cannot gift a firearm. For a handgun, he needs to have a PPP, and you can execute a face to face transaction (still legal in NJ, but hurry), file the papers, and go on your merry ways.

Nope.

He may inherit it if you pass, providing that you will it to him, or that there are no other heirs with priority, but you cannot gift a firearm. For a handgun, he needs to have a PPP, and you can execute a face to face transaction (still legal in NJ, but hurry), file the papers, and go on your merry ways.

Just a nit to pick.

You can GIFT a gun but it still requires paperwork. The gifting removes any Straw Purchase issues. I.E. You buy a gun at a dealer and use a permit, you can legally give that gun to anyone you want but that person has to use a pistol permit for the transfer(I.e. two permits were used here)(Note, I'm talking about two non prohibited persons in state only). It MUST be a gift otherwise you're engaging in a straw purchase or gun dealing.

Sorry to drag this off the rails.

Exactly right. If you are the inheritor, no paperwork is required.

The NJ handgun "Permit To Buy" is not required, but, I believe the inheritor must have or acquire within 90-180 days a NJ FID to possess that handgun. Otherwise, inheritor must legally dipose of the handgun.

When obtaining the FID there is no requirement to disclose its purpose.

It helps if the inheritance is spelled out in the will, otherwise title would pass to the surviving spouse and I've been recommended by an attorney to have Mom sign a disclaimer of the gun's inheritance so it passes to the next heir which would be me. Always good to have this all in writing and witnessed.

The NJ handgun "Permit To Buy" is not required, but, I believe the inheritor must have or acquire within 90-180 days a NJ FID to possess that handgun. Otherwise, inheritor must legally dipose of the handgun.

Not true. The person inheriting must not be a prohibited person and must be ABLE to obtain a firearms purchaser ID. They don't actually have to obtain one.

If they are a prohibited person, they must dispose of the firearms within 180 days.

CatShitOne Out! :offtopic:

Glad you get the reference :)

back on topic (somewhat): Now if i were to directly inherit a handgun, how would i prove to the PO (for instance during a traffic stop) that i legally own that handgun?

Glad you get the reference :)

back on topic (somewhat): Now if i were to directly inherit a handgun, how would i prove to the PO (for instance during a traffic stop) that i legally own that handgun?

Do you think a LEO is going to go through paperwork at the side of the road?

If they have reason to suspect there's a problem, they're going to arrest you and let the judge figure it out.

This is where a Purchaser ID will come in handy. While they have no bearing on handguns, they do show that you've gone through the trouble to get printed and checked out.

• Like 1