Old Glock guy

Do I need a knife? (Serious question.)

I haven't left the house without a swiss army knife in 20 years. It's an indespensible tool, I highly recommend one. Opening boxes, screwing in any number of loose screws, picking my teeth with the toothpick, cutting hangnails with the scissors, fixing my glasess with the mini screwdriver, opening bottles of wine. Now if they only made one with an assisted opening/switch blade...

I use my kershaw scallion every day for things like:

Opening boxes

Cutting food

cutting tape

cutting wire

cutting thread

opening plastic packages

and so many more.

I haven't left the house without a swiss army knife in 20 years. It's an indespensible tool, I highly recommend one. Opening boxes, screwing in any number of loose screws, picking my teeth with the toothpick, cutting hangnails with the scissors, fixing my glasess with the mini screwdriver, opening bottles of wine. Now if they only made one with an assisted opening/switch blade...

:D

makersmacgyver.jpg

• Like 1

When at home (not at work) I have a Leatherman on my belt and it does come in very handy throughout the day, especially when traveling and needing to repair stuff wherever I'm at. I am experimenting with an S&W M&P as a carry around knife partly because of the glass break pin on the end and the ability to cut through jammed seat belts in an emergency.

• Like 1

I carry an MTech folder I picked up for 5 bucks. I've used to open boxes and plastic clam shell packaging, to cutting cardboard to cover holes and reset a door latch so it locks on the pin. I also carry an Ozark trails multi-tool when I'm home because its got everything I need for small repairs to working on antique rifles.

Benchmade, Boker, Case, CRKT or Swiss Army always in my possession. It is amazing the number of times you use it a day. My kids laugh at my wife and want to know why she does not carry a pocket knife as she stuggles with twine, boxes or what have you.

And the old southern gentleman from whom I learned about bird hunting, bird dogs and bourbon always said "A gentleman always has his pocket knife with him."

Dont know why... but it sounded good.

I have never had to defend myself with a knife, yet I carry one daily and find myriad uses for it. Peeling an orange, opening all sorts of packages, scraping labels off of equipment so that I can read them, etc.

I agree with axeman - "A gentleman ALWAYS has a pocket knife with him".

What's funny is when I come home from work and "unload" all my gear. Leatherman, buck knife, tactical knife, marker, pens, flashlight, pen-light, electrical pen meter, and whatever else I needed that day!

Now with the rugrat grabbing everything all the crap goes up high on a shelf. Makes for a cool picture, I'll take one tomorrow!

Huh. I never carried one. If I needed one, it could be found close by in the cabinet drawer or glove compartment.

+1. I'm not out in the middle of the woods. Knives at home, knives at work. Multi-tool in the car.

Now, my Blackberry, that is always on me.

Anytime I leave my knife at home or in the car I always find that I need it. I carry it with me so I don't have to run to the cabinet or my glove box its out of my pocket and a spring assist away.I don't even think about my knife for self defense only practical applications.

This. If I had to leave the house with ONE thing.....it wouldn't be my cell phone, it would be my knife.

I'd probably take my house keys :-P

I always have some sort of knife on me.. since.. about 12ish? When do you earn your wittlin' chip card in scouts?

I've been leaning towards "beater knives".. around $20 or so.. spyderco's lower end models, ka-bar's, gerber's etc.. I always end up abusing and chipping them.. and I hate to do it to a good $$ knife..

I usually have it clipped to my waistband where my gun would go if I was allowed to.

I wish I could a folder and a Swiss army type knife.. but I just don't have enough comfortable pocket real estate.

My ultimate knife would be a tacticalish folder with a clip, but also have an extra out of the way multi-use "blade" with a screw driver tip, can/bottle opener, etc..

I've tried searching.. and nobody seems to make such a knife.

I always used to carry a buck knife. But now the port authority police hassled me a couple of times at the bus station so I leave it home.I think the guys I work with miss it more then me. They all say what do mean you dont have your knife like it was my job to do so.

I used a knife to cut a LAN cable today. Not to make LAN cables. Because I needed something long to stick it where it didn't belong. And the plug made it too large to get the job done so the plug had to go. Saved me a 5 minute trip on foot and who knows how long to get some sort of cutter.

yes, you need a knife

I've carried a leatherman of some kind, everyday since I was in the army (1990-1993). I've fixed trucks, gas pedals, pc's, glasses, toys, bikes, motorcycles and appliances with it. I would feel naked with out it on my belt. Current carry is the Leatherman Wave

http://leathermanlibrary.com/albums/userpics/10001/WAVE_FANNED.jpg