Old Glock guy

Do I need a knife? (Serious question.)

All right, I'm happy to announce that I finally got around to picking up a knife. Stopped at Mastodon after CR yesterday to inquire, and for six bucks they sold me something that looks a lot like this: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10202677_425011002_425000000_425011000?hvarAID=shopping_pricegrabber

(If I had paid five dollars less, I would have had a buck knife!) :sarcastichand:

Anyway, that should be fine for my purposes, especially since I'm still not sure what my purposes are. :icon_e_confused:

Just remember that you get what you pay for!

Keep you eye on ballisticreload.com, they usually have some decent spydercos every once in a while. I picked up a $180 (on some sites it was $250) spydero knife there for about $50 (VG-10 blade) as well as 2 other sydercos for $20 that were originally $80 or so.

Not always! Case and point, Mora knives - most can be had for < $20 and these are some of the best fixed blades I've ever owned (especially the ones w/ triflex and carbon blades!)

Check them out: http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

Yes and no.

Mora knives are amazing for their price, but they don't hold up well to heavy usage/heavy duty work. But then they weren't designed for that. For the money, I'd buy 2 or 3; but then that also depends on the job it is to perform. For the jobs the OP might come across I think these would be much better, although I'm pretty sure he wanted a folder.

Just remember, the most common murder weapon is the kitchen knife and they're friggen cheap!

I do agree you get what you pay for, but good deals are out there.

Yes and no.

Mora knives are amazing for their price, but they don't hold up well to heavy usage/heavy duty work. But then they weren't designed for that. For the money, I'd buy 2 or 3; but then that also depends on the job it is to perform. For the jobs the OP might come across I think these would be much better, although I'm pretty sure he wanted a folder.

Yeah, agreed that mora's weren't designed for heavy chopping, batoning, etc...even though there are youtube vids out there trying to prove otherwise ;) I'm of the mindset that a tool needs to be used for it's intended purpose so I leave tasks such as chopping to a hatchet and leaving my knife's edge nice and sharp for cutting. I'll only carry a fixed blade if I'm camping or hiking.

For EDC, it's a Swiss Army Solider. Small enough with just the right amount of tools for me. It also doesn't cause people to crap their pants when I take it out at the office :p

Yes and no.

They are ubiquitous in Scandinavia where just about every worker and fisherman wears one, I still own the "Dress" version that my father gave me for confirmation.

I'm going to be getting a few different models soon, as they are great for the jobs they are designed for. However most people don't stick to just that function, which is why I posted that. I generally have a Leatherman of SOG Power assist on me at all times, both are amazing.

To be honest I think the OP should get a multi-tool. Takes the guess work out of it if the LE ask him why he has it.

My S&W (knife) has a glass punch and belt cutter on it....I have it on my in case I need those, and the convenience of being able to cut open boxes and twine :icon_mrgreen:

You have any pic's, I could use something like that for Hang Gliding at beach sites in case of the so called "water landing" also know as a crash

Harry

You have any pic's, I could use something like that for Hang Gliding at beach sites in case of the so called "water landing" also know as a crash

Harry

If you intend to use it around saltwater, then you might want to look into a diving knife that has a line cutter on it (looks like a gut hook on a hunting knife). It'll have stInless steel that is not corroded easily by saltwater, and should last you many years. A regular folding knife may start to rust is you use it around the beach.

Also a good diving knife should come with a sheath that you can strap to your leg or arm for easy access, in case you do crash and need to have quick easy access to it.

If you intend to use it around saltwater, then you might want to look into a diving knife that has a line cutter on it (looks like a gut hook on a hunting knife). It'll have stInless steel that is not corroded easily by saltwater, and should last you many years. A regular folding knife may start to rust is you use it around the beach.

Also a good diving knife should come with a sheath that you can strap to your leg or arm for easy access, in case you do crash and need to have quick easy access to it.

Very good point, thanks Tony, didn't even think about the saltwater side of things.

Harry

Harry

Here is the one I think he is referring to Harry. The second link Is a nice one also.

http://www.smith-wes...playErrorView_N#

http://www.google.co...ved=0CDsQ8wIwAg#

Keep you eye on ballisticreload.com, they usually have some decent spydercos every once in a while. I picked up a $180 (on some sites it was $250) spydero knife there for about $50 (VG-10 blade) as well as 2 other sydercos for $20 that were originally $80 or so.

What a strange site thanks for the heads-up

Rule #9, always carry a knife.

+1 I've carried some sort of knife (mostly Swiss army) for over 20 years. I used to carry a regular model to school every day and now I carry one of the uber thick models with a million different functions. You never know when you'll need it but you'll be glad you have it when you do.

Harry

I wouldn't recommend it for that kind of use. If I literally needed to entrust my life in this knife, I would invest more money. The seat belt cutter isn't worth squat. The knife itself and the window punch appear to be made of good quality for the price. Again, for something like that where you may need to cut something QUICK, invest more.

I wouldn't recommend it for that kind of use. If I literally needed to entrust my life in this knife, I would invest more money. The seat belt cutter isn't worth squat. The knife itself and the window punch appear to be made of good quality for the price. Again, for something like that where you may need to cut something QUICK, invest more.

Exactly what was suggested to me by Tony, and a diving knife that has both the tools in one would be the best option in the environment I would find myself in.

Harry

Exactly what was suggested to me by Tony, and a diving knife that has both the tools in one would be the best option in the environment I would find myself in.

Harry

I saw that he suggested that. As the owner of the S&W knife, I simply wanted to reiterate it. I like my knife....however if I needed to DEPEND on something, I would have invested more.

Damn, you guys have corrupted me. Not only do I now have the two knives I mentioned earlier on this thread, but I added an S&W M&P folder http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-SWMP5LS-Linerlock-Generation/dp/B0037H29XY/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1310516116&sr=1-1 and a SOG axe.