jcerillo70

Building an AK-47 (without expensive tools)

So i am going to build an AK as my next rifle project. This is something i can take my time with. For everyone else out there thinking about doing the same thing, once this thread is over, it will help them get through the process i am going to go through.

Rules & Laws (to my knowledge)

1) 25% of the parts used MUST be manufactured in the USA

20 total parts counted, the ak and variants only include 16 total exchangable countable parts.

so, to drop the count to 10 or less imported parts, no less than 6 u.s. parts are required. in ak's of course. different weapons require different counts.

2) Muzzle brake must be pinned/welded

3) Stock must be fixed or pinned

I will research the parts needed, create a plan, and carry out the plan. (with a little help from my friends ;) >

In the mean time, Any one have any good suggestions? I am going to start off of a 100% reciever.

Main priority is to find...

1) 100% receiver (i've been looking at http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm)

2) U.S parts kit

3) knowledge

Im about to put one together myself. Gonna use the saiga platform.

i figure there's 20 components in an AK, I need

<1 peice>U.S.A made reciever (That doesnt say AK-47)

<5 piece's> #2- AKM US PARTS PACKAGE:

THIS PACKAGE FITS NEARLY MOST AK's. US G2 TRIGGER

GROUP, US PISTON, US PISTOL GRIP. (5 COUNTED US

PARTS) THIS PACKAGES ALLOWS YOU TO USE ANY

IMPORTED MAGAZINE AND ANY IMPORTED MUZZLE

DEVICE. YOUR US RECEIVER IS THE 6TH US PART.

6/20 = 30% u.s.a parts... Im good lol

1. Reciever = $90 shipped + 50 for transfer

2. Parts kit = $75 shipped

total so far $215

ROMANIAN AKM COMBO + 100% reciever + us compliant parts kit = $290 AKM ;)

NO PRESSES OR GAUGES NEEDED FROM WHAT IM READING. JUST A RIVET HERE AND A RIVET THERE.

but then again i always seem to be wrong

"building" a saiga and actually building an AK is 2 very different things. To build an AK you need a press, rivet tool, and headspace gauges among other things. theakforum.net has a building board with comprehensive how-to threads

He said without expensive tools so I assumed he meant "put together".

Joe. Your gonna build from ground up?

I'm going to try, whats the worst that can happen? $290 write off...Im ok with as long as i tried

I'm going to try, whats the worst that can happen? $290 write off...Im ok with as long as i tried

ROMANIAN AKM PARTS SETS- 7.62 X 39 CALIBER.

MOST OF THESE WERE NEVER FIRED. GRADE "A"-

98% FINISH TO NEW. WOOD STOCKS HAVE

TYPICAL DINGS AND DENTS FROM DEMILLING

AND SHIPPING. DISCONNECTORS ARE WRONG

TYPE FOR THE TRIGGER FOR SOME REASON.

INCLUDES SLANT BRAKE.

SOLD OUT OF PARTS KITS

------------------------------------------------------------------

ROMANIAN AKM COMBO: GRADE "A" PARTS

SET PLUS 80% RECEIVER BLANK, LOWER BOLT

RAILS, ASSEMBLY BOLTS, AND LONG

TRIGGER/HAMMER PINS. SAVE $10 ON THE

RECEIVER BLANK PACKAGE BY PURCHASING

AS A COMBO! INCLUDES

INSTRUCTIONS/TEMPLATES.

WE GET A LOT OF QUESTIONS LIKE: "TELL ME <b style="mso-bidi-font-weight:normal">

EVERYTHING I NEED FOR A RIFLE BUILD".

TO BUILD A LEGAL AKM TYPE RIFLE, ALL YOU

NEED IS THE ROMANIAN AKM COMBO PLUS THE

US COMPLIANCE PARTS PACKAGE. THAT GIVES

YOU ALL THE NEEDED PARTS TO DO A COMPLETE,

LEGAL AK BUILD. AKM RIFLE BUILDS REQUIRE 6

COUNTED US PARTS, AND YOU CAN CHOOSE

DIFFERENT METHODS TO GET THOSE PARTS.

PISTOL BUILDS NEED NO US PARTS.

STATE/LOCAL LAWS MAY VARY OF COURSE!<br style="mso-special-character:line-break"> <br style="mso-special-character:line-break"> </b>

There are a lot of videos on youtube about building an AK....A press and jigs help....but you can also do it with cobbled together tools....like all thread rod and nuts/washers.....a rivet squisher made from a cheapy set of bolt cutters.....Large c clamps....a bench vice....gear puller......a BFH (Big F'ing Hammer) ....that sort of thing.....Of course..if ya hook up with a build party in PA or somewhere like that...it will be a lot easier...

get a 100% receiver dont mess around

and get a matching numbers kit so your head space is good ,, this will save time

make your rivet squeezer out of a pair of bolt cutters ,

and you dont need a press, a good heavy vice and a dead blow or large plastic hammer will work to replace the barrel.

to remove the barrel pull the pin then place the outer part of the trunnion on the vice jaws with barrel facing down, use a brass or alum punch grab them with vice grips (the hammer hurts) and go to town dont be a girl hit it solid.

they also have 2 plates with the rivet dimples drilled, you clamp them on the out side of the receiver over the front trunnion with threaded rods and a plate on the end , so you just slowly turn them in and that pulls the barrel in,, grease the barrel 1st.

they also make a jig fir the trigger guard but you can also use the vice if you open the jaws and place the rivet heads on the jaws then crush them with a punch and hammer.

just search the net there's plenty of step by step instruction just pick the best one for you

A drill press with a vise is the best to drill out the old rivets use lots of oil a good bit and go slow , on some if you grind them flat they will just punch out.

AND DONT DO A SCREW BUILD that just looks crappy but it works

I have considered a similar project.. while I understand this is likely legal.. our state has such a narrow view on this type of gun it was one more reason I just stuck with something off the shelf that has been sold in masses..

what is that gun, is that legal?

1) "oh it is a XXXX (insert wasr, saiga, etc..) they are totally legal and tons have been sold in this state.."

2) "oh well actually I built it.. "

for me... while in NJ.. it just seems kind of sketchy..

I have considered a similar project.. while I understand this is likely legal.. our state has such a narrow view on this type of gun it was one more reason I just stuck with something off the shelf that has been sold in masses..

1) "oh it is a XXXX (insert wasr, saiga, etc..) they are totally legal and tons have been sold in this state.."

I completely agree. My uncle/Lawyer came by today, to check out my AR buid and CJR&P with me and we had THE LONG TALK

1) do you want to spend a night in jail even if you are doing everything by the books?

He suggested that when it comes to this specific firearm, you buy it off the shelf and keep point of sale documents with you when transporting.

I completely agree. My uncle/Lawyer came by today, to check out my AR buid and CJR&P with me and we had THE LONG TALK

1) do you want to spend a night in jail even if you are doing everything by the books?

He suggested that when it comes to this specific firearm, you buy it off the shelf and keep point of sale documents with you when transporting.

I love my Saiga.... no regrets..

good luck and pictures with whatever route you choose...

i know someone that built a nodak spud kit with a romy g numbers matching parts kit. without a press and some custom ordered jigs, id say it would be next to impossible to do and be happy with it. he easily spent $500+ on tools just to make it. if you want to go the cheap route, go saiga.

• Like 1

how is saying it's a wasr vs saying it's a nodak spud any different? im sure plenty of nodak spuds have been sold in this state.

how is saying it's a wasr vs saying it's a nodak spud any different? im sure plenty of nodak spuds have been sold in this state.

a wasr is a complete rifle that is generally agreed to be legal in NJ...

some wild card AK variant you build in your garage may or may not be legal...

It is not about the truth.. as I stated.. building your own.. probably totally legal.. I would just not deal with finding out.. especially when you can purchase something like a Saiga and build off of that.. and to be honest my interest was that in just understanding the process.. It was not a gun I was that interested in actually owning..I mean sure I would shoot it.. but the interest for me was just that it was the next logical step to go after piecing one together (the Saiga).. I looked at similar receivers and parts kits on gunbroker.. but at the end of the day it just didn't seem worth it.. sometimes perception is more important than truth.. and for me it was just not worth it in this instance..

• Like 1

I believe that Anthony has a very valid point. Perception often plays a very large role. Simply telling the officer that you complied with certain laws will not keep you out of jail, or stop the onslaught of legal bills to come.....even if you are found not guilty. Choosing a safer route is probably a safer option. Granted.....my Saiga or Vlad's Saiga would probably attract more attention than a wood AK style rifle :icon_rolleyes:

i looked at doing something similar about a year ago, I say keep it simple, simple is better in nj. get yourself a nice saiga and convert/restore yourself it's a fun, and you'll be at the range in no time enjoying her!

i looked at doing something similar about a year ago, I say keep it simple, simple is better in nj. get yourself a nice saiga and convert/restore yourself it's a fun, and you'll be at the range in no time enjoying her!

First post here. I say, build the AK. There is no difference between an AK-type rifle that says "Nodak Spud" on the receiver and a converted AK-type rifle that says "Saiga." If you take away the receivers and only look at the leftover parts from both rifles, the only difference between the demilled AK and the Saiga is the age and wear on the parts. If you got a demilled kit that was "only dropped once," there might not be any difference at all.

Where you might run into trouble is if you make the receiver yourself from a blank or a piece of sheet metal. It's legal, of course, but trying to explain why your gun doesn't have a serial number or importation mark might be more trouble than it's worth.

For the record, I have both a Saiga and a Hungarian AMD on a Nodak receiver.

Where you might run into trouble is if you make the receiver yourself from a blank or a piece of sheet metal. It's legal, of course, but trying to explain why your gun doesn't have a serial number or importation mark might be more trouble than it's worth.

In NJ...unless you have a license to manufacture firearms, then you cannot legally make the receiver yourself. A serial number, model and any other info can be easily stamped into the metal, and often is in states where its legal to build your own receiver........As for the answer to "what gun is that?"...instead of saying you built it yourself...which is not the answer to the question asked........you can answer with the actual model designation of the gun...Its a Yugoslaviam M70 or M63....its a hungarian AMD65 ...Its a Romanian G....and then you can show why your gun is NJ legal...see officer...no bayonet lug...permanently attached muzzle device...no folding stock...and the mags have been permanently altered to hold no more than 15 rounds....all NJ legal requirements.......

• Like 1

First post here. I say, build the AK. There is no difference between an AK-type rifle that says "Nodak Spud" on the receiver and a converted AK-type rifle that says "Saiga." If you take away the receivers and only look at the leftover parts from both rifles, the only difference between the demilled AK and the Saiga is the age and wear on the parts. If you got a demilled kit that was "only dropped once," there might not be any difference at all.

Take the receiver off a Colt AR15, and you have a bunch of legal parts in NJ. Keep the receiver, you're breaking the law. I am not saying you are wrong, however you are still missing the obvious. NJ's laws are so confusing that to some people, it's not worth the risk. It MAY be legal, but show me a cop who knows NJ's firearms laws inside and out....or who won't arrest somebody simply because they say their rifle is legal. The overwhelming odds are that you will be arrested, and at the very least incur several thousands of dollars in legal fees. Worst case scenario? You get an inept judge, or a really crappy lawyer and end up behind bars. It may be worth it to you, but it's not worth it to me.

By the way, welcome to the site. I'm sure you will enjoy your stay :D

• Like 1

In NJ...unless you have a license to manufacture firearms, then you cannot legally make the receiver yourself. A serial number, model and any other info can be easily stamped into the metal, and often is in states where its legal to build your own receiver........

I was not aware of this. I was under the impression that it was similar to ATF law where it states that, as long as the firearm built is not for profit or illicit gain, not transfered (ever) and not otherwise prohibited (SBR, Class 3 etc.), it is perfectly legal to build and keep. I looked up the NJSP's definition of "manufacturer" and it's not exactly clear, but better to err on the side of caution, of course.

Take the receiver off a Colt AR15, and you have a bunch of legal parts in NJ. Keep the receiver, you're breaking the law. I am not saying you are wrong, however you are still missing the obvious. NJ's laws are so confusing that to some people, it's not worth the risk. It MAY be legal, but show me a cop who knows NJ's firearms laws inside and out....or who won't arrest somebody simply because they say their rifle is legal. The overwhelming odds are that you will be arrested, and at the very least incur several thousands of dollars in legal fees. Worst case scenario? You get an inept judge, or a really crappy lawyer and end up behind bars. It may be worth it to you, but it's not worth it to me.

By the way, welcome to the site. I'm sure you will enjoy your stay :D

Thanks for the welcome!

I get what you're saying. My point is, what's the difference between a converted Saiga, who's legality no one is debating as far as I can tell, a crappy Century-built AK made from a parts kit, which is also NJ legal as long as it plays the evil features game, and a Nodak Spud AK that you built yourself (also NJAWB compliant)? All three are guns that have been "changed" from their original configuration. As long as you have paperwork for all three, no LEO is going to look at any of those rifles and say, "You built this yourself, didn't you?" Conversely, anybody that converts a Saiga is rolling that same dice if they are doing the work themselves and not farming it out to a licensed "manufacturer."

Hardline, don't get me wrong....I COMPLETELY understand where you are coming from. I'm just saying that it's a slippery slope, and all it takes is that ONE cop who is sketchy on what you have. Doesn't matter if he built it from toothpaste and bubble gum, NJ is a terrible state to be a firearms enthusiast in. I also have a converted Saiga. Although it is no more dangerous than an SKS, it would LOOK more dangerous to someone who doesn't understand firearms. Perception unfortunately does play a big role in NJ.

Thanks for the welcome!

I get what you're saying. My point is, what's the difference between a converted Saiga, who's legality no one is debating as far as I can tell, a crappy Century-built AK made from a parts kit, which is also NJ legal as long as it plays the evil features game, and a Nodak Spud AK that you built yourself (also NJAWB compliant)? All three are guns that have been "changed" from their original configuration. As long as you have paperwork for all three, no LEO is going to look at any of those rifles and say, "You built this yourself, didn't you?" Conversely, anybody that converts a Saiga is rolling that same dice if they are doing the work themselves and not farming it out to a licensed "manufacturer."

if it is an "AK" then it is banned by name and you can't have it... if you are saying what is the difference between ordering a blank receiver and building from scratch? the difference is the overwhelming mainstream popularity of one VS the other... popular may not always be right... but if someone is pointing fingers at me yelling illegal.. I would rather be standing in the boat filled with thousands of owners of the more standard common Saiga... as opposed to the lone home builder garage gunsmith who builds his own from nothing.. I guess the biggest difference is this..

when you take a blank receiver and "build it" you have just created a firearm which might be slightly grayer than when you look at my Saiga which is essentially built also.. you can take the Saiga and argue that all I really did was add accesories.. I didn't in the most basic terms "build" it... which could in this insane state be the single saving grace... look at your own post.. NJ laws are confusing.. you were under the impression that building it from a flat is legal which I KNOW is not as pointed out by others..

again it might just be perception..

"where did you get this gun.. is this legal? what is this"

"it is a Saiga.. it might look a little different than one off the shelf.. but those are essentially just accessories.."

"oh.. I built that from scratch in my garage"

again.. while the second option MIGHT be legal.. I am not rolling the dice on that till I hit a free state..