JTQ911

Trusted Mechanic - VW?

Due for the 40k service and a check engine light came on the other night coming home from Shore Shot and I have been trying to find an independent shop? Does anyone have a place they would personally recommend or knows they do good work on volkswagens? I live in Allentown NJ not far from Jackson and don't mind driving for quality.

Jim

Due for the 40k service and a check engine light came on the other night coming home from Shore Shot and I have been trying to find an independent shop? Does anyone have a place they would personally recommend or knows they do good work on volkswagens? I live in Allentown NJ not far from Jackson and don't mind driving for quality.

Jim

I know this maybe a hike for you....But Same Old Brand is the best around and he olny works on VW's. I took my VW to him for years and I mean 4 VW's which were all bought new. He service them. I never used the dealer shop... It is worth the trip..

Same Old Brand :: Specializing in VW Repair Same Old Brand is a small town garage specializing in Volkswagen repair. I know it well. ... 610 Atkins Ave. Neptune, NJ 07753 (732)776-7309 ... www.sameoldbrand.com

I never went to this one...But I hear he is good also...in Lakewood

Lakewood Volkswagen Repair Shops

(732) 363-5552

http://www.njautobahn.com/

40 Chestnut St, #2,

Lakewood, NJ 08701

<BR>Due for the 40k service and a check engine light came on the other night coming home from Shore Shot and I have been trying to find an independent shop? Does anyone have a place they would personally recommend or knows they do good work on volkswagens? I live in Allentown NJ not far from Jackson and don't mind driving for quality. <BR><BR>Jim<BR>
<BR><BR>Not sure what year or what your warranty is but if your still covered I would bring it back to the dealer. Most check engine lights are Emission Issues.<BR><BR>If you are out of warranty, check around to see if anyone has a scanner that you plug into the car to get you a report on what the trouble code is that is triggering the Check Engine Light. They are cheap these days, I think I bought the one I have that is OBDII for about 150 bucks but that was a few years ago and the price has really dropped. OBDI units that weren't that common (Pre 1996) and cost a little bit more. <BR><BR>I like having the tester, that way I know what the problem is, and a lot of times I am able to fix it myself, most times for a lot less money that it would cost me to drive to a shop and have them JUST TEST it.<BR><BR>If you were closer I would test it for you, however if you go to Shore shot on Tuesdays mornings I could meet you there, but not until the the 11th being I have to work. Wasn't planning on going to SS, was planning on OBRPC being it's closer but if you want to wait and the 11th is doable I'll make the trip down there.<BR><BR>Harry

hd2000fxdl is correct. The Check Engine light monitors the emission system sensors. The point he didn't make is that the warranty on the emissions system is considerably longer than your regular new car warranty. Not sure what it is currently, but 100,000 mi/8 yrs comes to mind. Troy may chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong. Only a dealer can do warranty work and, dependent on what you mileage is, I'd take it back to the dealer since there is a good chance it will be covered.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

hd2000fxdl is correct. The Check Engine light monitors the emission system sensors. The point he didn't make is that the warranty on the emissions system is considerably longer than your regular new car warranty. Not sure what it is currently, but 100,000 mi/8 yrs comes to mind. Troy may chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong. Only a dealer can do warranty work and, dependent on what you mileage is, I'd take it back to the dealer since there is a good chance it will be covered.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Chiming in..... LOL

Only 2 Emission items are warrantied beyond the manufacturers base warranty.... The Catalytic Converter and the main ECU .... those are mandated by the Fed to be warrantied 8yrs or 80,000 miles whichever comes 1st.....

When it comes to Check Engine Lights..... the dealer is your best bet for a "Fix It The First Time" result. Diag is usually 1hr of labor, and they will provide you with a Repair Cost.

Thanks for all the help so far. Went out and bought a OBD scanner this morning and its telling me intake valve range/pos error code and 3 out of 4 cylinders misfiring. Seems for the 2.0L turbo TSI engine, the intake manifold or at least the sensor inside of it is known for going. The car just hit 40k so no basis warranty. This should still be covered under the powertrain warranty right?

Thanks for all the help so far. Went out and bought a OBD scanner this morning and its telling me intake valve range/pos error code and 3 out of 4 cylinders misfiring. Seems for the 2.0L turbo TSI engine, the intake manifold or at least the sensor inside of it is known for going. The car just hit 40k so no basis warranty. This should still be covered under the powertrain warranty right?

Nope.....

Common misfires on VW / Audi's are faulty coils.... Ask VW if there is a coil recall on their motors, just like the Audi's..... you might get lucky...

There is also possibly a "flap" motor in the intake that is not operating properly... plus any number of other sensor's that could be causing your issue..

I second bringing it to Tony..... let him look at it....

Wonderful. And here I am looking at a CPO Audi. Guess I'm staying away from them. Lol

IF your going to buy one..... CPO is the way to go.... nice warranty

I would not get a 4 cyl Audi / VW ..... they just dont get it.... misfires.... oil consumption..etc...etc...

The 3.2 V6 or 4.2 V8 are great motors....

As to the OP, if you have 3 cylinders misfiring, your car should be running rough. Is it? You can do a little diagnosis yourself on this. Start your car up and pop the hood. Pull one coil or wire out, see if the engine sounds/runs any worse or not. Try each plug one by one. A system like yours has either coil on plug, or coil packs (aka waste spark) systems. The waste spark systems fire two plugs at once for a complete circuit grounded to the cylinder head, and a failure on one will cause a second cylinder to misfire, which sounds like it may be the case in your car with two misfiring cylinders. Coil on plug uses an individual coil for each cylinder.

That will at least allow you to isolate if it is an ignition-related misfire or not. Remember an engine needs 4 things to run - air, fuel, spark, and compression. This can figure out if you are getting spark or not.

A simple OBD scanner will not tell you what is REALLY going on. Find someone in your area that has VagCom (VCDS) to do a much more meaningful scan. If you are really stuck, I am in Hunterdon and can do the scan for you. I know more about the TDI, but can at least scan for you.

I know this maybe a hike for you....But Same Old Brand is the best around and he olny works on VW's. I took my VW to him for years and I mean 4 VW's which were all bought new. He service them. I never used the dealer shop... It is worth the trip..

Same Old Brand :: Specializing in VW Repair Same Old Brand is a small town garage specializing in Volkswagen repair. I know it well. ... 610 Atkins Ave. Neptune, NJ 07753 (732)776-7309 ... www.sameoldbrand.com

I never went to this one...But I hear he is good also...in Lakewood

Lakewood Volkswagen Repair Shops

(732) 363-5552

http://www.njautobahn.com/

40 Chestnut St, #2,

Lakewood, NJ 08701

the term SOB isn't only for the name of his shop...i have sold to him extensivly over the years...

he is hard to deal with.

(nice way of saying it)

try longwood motors if you are looking to drive...stockholm nj...right by cherry ridge btw.

speak to John...973-697-8729.

they do excellent work and are reasonable with prices...if you want to bring your own parts, he doesn't care.

Probably not, but check around there may be a TSB (technical Service Bulletin) or Recall on this is it's a common problem but I don't know VW's, last one I had was a 74 Supper in Kali back in 84 and you could do repair just about anything on the side of the road they were soooooo easy to work on back then.

Harry