ronhonda

USPSA @ CJRPC (Jackson)4/10/11

Good match today!

Perfect weather. Not cold, not to hot, and cloudy.

Nice to see everyone out.

Sucks someone DQ'ed themselves while I was the RO. More so that it was his 1st match and it occurred on the last stage. Maks's zombies claimed 1 victim.

On a side note the match and squads are run by "us", and "we" all need to help out in what ever capacity we can to keep the squad moving along. It is kind of not cool for some of "us" not to help out through out the duration of the match.

Awesome Maks, thanks a lot for bringing the camera!! It's awesome to see where I did well and where I need a lot of work. It looks like I could use some work with drawing a little quicker. I think that shooting more accurately and faster will just come with practice.

Awesome Maks, thanks a lot for bringing the camera!! It's awesome to see where I did well and where I need a lot of work. It looks like I could use some work with drawing a little quicker. I think that shooting more accurately and faster will just come with practice.

quite welcome. Thank you John for running the camera. Today we were light on RO's so Ronny and I had to run the entire squad back to back... that left little time to run the camera. =) I have videos in full 1080p if anyone wants. So if you want it on a dvd, let me know and can burn you the original files.

Oh man, 2 of those stages are painful for me to watch. I shot okay, but either forgot my reload plans or had a premature slide lock-back (?). On a positive note, all those years of ballet and jazz tap paid off for the qualifier. ;) Thanks for ROing to both of you. If someone shows me how to score sometime, I'd be glad to help out with that.

Fun day...challenging stages and good weather. This was my second time out; it took two stages to get the jitters out, but then I did OK. I need to focus on slowing down because I had some easy misses due to rushing. I messed up Mak's stage by putting four holes in one target and failing to engage the other. Oh well...

I will be on vacation the next two weekends, but look forward to the May events.

Babaganoosh - I was in your squad. I was wearing a black sweatshirt and shot last in the first stage. I was the one talking to your cousin about the Open class shooters while we were waiting for Stage 1.

Thanks Vlad!

Mike

Wish I knew, I would have taken some video for ya.

I set a limit in my head of how many shots am I gonna waste if I start missing the plates. At that point, I was just going to decide to move on if I missed that many times. I think I figured 12 shots total (basically 4 shots a plate). Thankfully I hit the 3 plates in 5 shots so I was good to go. I guess my time spent shooting soda cans off a post came in handy.

I told myself that for course #4 that had those plates pretty far away. I decided that I wasn't going to use more than my first mag on them.

That's exactly the one I was thinking of. If you start missing them it could get in your head and you would end up shooting at them all day.

At some point you need to realize you are never going to hit a target except by luck, and move on. I've seen people take 20 shots at a single target, we call that "Falling in love with the target". If you hear someone behind you telling their buddy "He is going to marry it" (think the intonation of Sloane Peterson at the end of Ferris Buller) it may be time to move on :)

BTW, thanks to everyone who stepped up and helped out in the morning as well as to Maksim for designing a stage.

Given the turnout everything ran pretty smoothly.

As far as advice for the poppers, don't rush your makeup shots. Use appropriate speed.

So for example, if you missed or had crap hits on a target because you came into a port quickly and your first shots were with bad footing, you can probably burn down a makeup shot at the end because you have already settled to a solid stance.

If you missed on a target because it requires accuracy that taxes your skill level a bit, you need to slow down and get a good sight picture and use good trigger technique. Very often, you'll see something along the lines of miss, miss faster, miss faster, miss again, have a puzzled look of throught wondering how many rounds you have left cross your face, slow down, miss because you have psyched yourself out about your entire game plan, hit, hit.

In many cases, especially when new, if you KNOW it requires accuracy, and you miss at the speed you think is appropriate, you need to slow down and get disciplined with good fundamentals for accurate shots.

Some quick math. If you are having a 3 second reload shot to shot, and missing at an accuracy target makes for an extra reload, spending 2.5 seconds on accuracy would shave .5 seconds off a stage.

Also to the comments that you guys need ot work on faster draw times. Don't sweat it. Watching your vids, I see plenty of 2-3 second draws, which ARE slow, but half the time you are STILL all done drawing well before you have reached your first target.

Faster draws are all sexy and stuff, but faster reloads have a better return on investment. In the videos, I see a lot of 2+ second draws. I also see a LOT of 2+ second reloads. Except for each slow draw, there are probably 4 slow reloads. Shave half a second off your reloads, and you'll shave 4 seconds off your stage times. Shave half a second off your draw, and you'll save half a second on the stage.

The other thing to work on to have better scores is stage breakdown and planning. That's a long conversation, but you can pick up HUGE amounts of time there. You have a 3 second shot to shot reload? If you can make sure you are doing it at the same time you are going to spend 3 seconds getting to the next place to shoot, you shaved 3 seconds on your stage time compared to a flat footed slide lock reload. HOW to break down a stage is a long detailed discussion, but there are LOTS of gains to be made there.

At some point you need to realize you are never going to hit a target except by luck, and move on. I've seen people take 20 shots at a single target, we call that "Falling in love with the target". If you hear someone behind you telling their buddy "He is going to marry it" (think the intonation of Sloane Peterson at the end of Ferris Buller) it may be time to move on :)

lol, that's funny.

Good info Raz, I know what I want to do, and how I want to do it then the dang beep goes off and blam, it's all gone. :o

I think I will just forget the timer and walk and shoot the stage and remember what I want to do and move on from there, I am getting more into a rush and not scoring as well as I should be.

In my head I can think a good stage and know what I want to do, heck I feel the same way when I play pool, after the break I can glance at the table and see how a run should be shot so that's not problem but unlike pool that I can run out, I'm not doing the same with shooting.

I'll have to check with my club but it would be nice to be able to practice small stages, nothing elaborate maybe a easy to change stage to practice on, would be nice if the club allows it and some other folks would like to get in on it. I think I would learn a lot more in a setting like this with others trying to do the same thing rather than just shooting a real match once a month.

Harry

Don't worry about the timer. The ONLY thing that should dictate your speed through a stage is your vision. You need to see what you need to see to make the shot. If you rush it, you will not get your hits and you can't miss fast enough to win. Let your vision control your speed.

For stage breakdown, look at what the more experienced shooters are doing and also ask them how to shoot a stage and also why shoot it that way. You might notice that lots of us talk to each other before we run a stage and discuss our plans. Yes we are competitive and want to do better then the next guy, but that doesn't mean we don't share our plans which each other because some time the other guy sees a small flaw in our plan or a way to improve it.

Don't worry about the timer. The ONLY thing that should dictate your speed through a stage is your vision. You need to see what you need to see to make the shot. If you rush it, you will not get your hits and you can't miss fast enough to win. Let your vision control your speed.

This. I am FAR from an experienced competition shooter, but this is how I shot my first stage @ Shongum. I ignored the timer and focused on nothing other than scoring good hits. I shot 31 "a" hits, and 1 "c". My total time was approx. 32 seconds on a 32 shot course, and I posted the 3rd best score in Production for this stage:

For stage breakdown, look at what the more experienced shooters are doing and also ask them how to shoot a stage and also why shoot it that way. You might notice that lots of us talk to each other before we run a stage and discuss our plans. Yes we are competitive and want to do better then the next guy, but that doesn't mean we don't share our plans which each other because some time the other guy sees a small flaw in our plan or a way to improve it.

As far as experienced shooters, I was lucky with the 1 USPSA match I shot at at the OBRPC to be on the same squad as Leo R and Mike G, 2 very good competitors and very helpful with comment and suggestions. Like I said I am going to slow it down and not try be pressured by the timer next time and see how that goes, I think taking a more relaxed approach will be better for me being new to this. Regardless I'm hooked. :)

Harry

1st So when is the next one at Central Jersey so I can take off work?

2nd How do we see the scores?

3rd I signed up last Sunday at Central Jersey. How long is it before I get all my info in the mail

1. Always the second Sunday, but confirm with the site

2. Http://www.cjuspsa.org Scores and match info

3. I signed up at the march match and got an email last week saying the just got payment. Nothing in mail and no membership info.. So I'm guessing at least this long for you also.

1. Always the second Sunday, but confirm with the site

2. Http://www.cjuspsa.org Scores and match info

3. I signed up at the march match and got an email last week saying the just got payment. Nothing in mail and no membership info.. So I'm guessing at least this long for you also.

1. Glad it's consistent, easy to plan for.

2. March match is up, I'll check once in awhile for the newest info.

3. Doh.

Thanks for the info

1) Yep, second sunday of every month

2) Scores will be up tonite, they take me a while to get done as I have to find a few hours of free time

3) I normally send in the membership apps to USPSA as I do the prep work for the next match (financials, classifier submissions, new members applications, financial reports for the club, payout checks, etc). That is normally another few hours so I have to find time for that as well.

Basically there are about 6-8 hours that go into every match, not on the range that I need to deal with every month. I wish I had more time do it all promptly, unfortunately I don't.

No problem.

Last month the scores took around a full week before going up.

Once uspsa bug gets you, you might want to do both 2nd Sunday CJ uspsa and 4th Sunday Old bridge uspsa.

I missed the April match at CJ,, making up for it with steel tomorrow and Easter uspsa both @OB

My pleasure. I hope everyone had fun.

Vlad, you run a Great Match, had a good time and i'll definitly be back. Best part was i ended up Squadded with a retired coworker i hadnt seen in years. One thing i learned was the importance of the correct equipment. I winged it as far as mag pouches went, and it cost me in reload times..but it was also an excuse to buy a new gun belt and pouch system, so all is good. :icon_mrgreen: Now is draw, dry fire, and reload practice to get the muscke memory of where everything is.