Hello - I reveiwed the NRA writeup on NJ gun laws and am a little confused (surprise) about transport to the range.

Basically, I'm looking to stop at the range (cherry ridge) after work once in a while to unwind. Due to geography (My daily

commute is 1.5 hours each way), the only

way for this to make any sense is to tranport my firearms (in my trunk) to work and stop on my way home at the range.

The NRA writeup talks about the legality of transporting firearms between the home and your place of business.

If I get stopped by a LEO in this scenario, am I screwed ?

Do you own the business? If not I'd say you are screwed. The truth is...nobody can tell what a "reasonable deviation is". So I tend to say anything more than picking up a buddy on the way or getting gas is about the extent. I wouldn't do what you are asking personally. Sucks doesn't it

The law says reasonable stops. Reasonable is subjective. If you get stopped by LEO 1.5 hours from home and 1.5 hours from the range.... That is hard to justify as reasonable. Personally, I think the law is to prevent people from driving around with a handgun in their trunk. My friends stops at McDonald's on the way to the range. Some people won't stop at all.

Now, if it's your own business it's different than if you work someone else.

as long as you dont do anything stupid while driving, theres no reason you should worry. keep in mind that even IF you are pulled over for whatever reason, you have NO LEGAL OBLIGATION to say you have guns in the car. you dont tell him a damn thing that he doesnt ask for. remember one thing.....you are GUILTY until proven innocent in NJ with anything gun related, period. if asked where youre going, just say to a friends. im sure you have friends at the range. i dont care if you strip the guns down to 50 pieces and keister the ammo, all youre doing by saying youre transporting guns is asking for more trouble. if blatantly asked 'are you transporting guns', then answer. otherwise, you dont have to say a word about anything.

read this thread on this same page

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/23234-nj-traffic-stop-laws-and-guns/

I'm not too concerned about being caught transporting guns if I'm pulled over for a routine traffic stop. For one thing, I've never had a police officer ask about firearms or check my trunk; and secondly, unless you're far from the beaten path, you could always say you were headed toward or returning from the range. So I don't see a problem there.

The scenario that troubles me is that if one were to make a stop (not that we would do that, but for the sake of discussion), and your car was broken into and a gun stolen, how would you explain it? Certainly, you would have a legal obligation to report a stolen gun, but how would you explain the circumstances?

I'm not too concerned about being caught transporting guns if I'm pulled over for a routine traffic stop. For one thing, I've never had a police officer ask about firearms or check my trunk; and secondly, unless you're far from the beaten path, you could always say you were headed toward or returning from the range. So I don't see a problem there.

The scenario that troubles me is that if one were to make a stop (not that we would do that, but for the sake of discussion), and your car was broken into and a gun stolen, how would you explain it? Certainly, you would have a legal obligation to report a stolen gun, but how would you explain the circumstances?

Agreed. Another scenario is an accident that results in your car having to be towed. What then?

I have heard this on the forum before but I can't seem to find the law and or statute that says its illegal to deviate with a handgun but not with a rifle.

Has this ever come up in a court case?

If you have a Firearms Purchaser ID, you could deviate since it's also a carry license for long arms. You don't need the transport exemptions in this case so deviation doesn't matter. This isn't to say I would make a regular practice of it. LEOs that don't know the law can make your day end very badly and it may be lots of money and time before it's all straightened out.

I have stopped to eat on my way to and from a range. My stuff is cased up and ammo is seperate. I may not be a cop, lawyer, or judge, but to me that's certainly "reasonable". Eating is one of the basic things you need to do to preserve life.

Would I go shopping at the mall? Prob not. But I certainly would stop at a food store for groceries or at a restaurant to eat. Do I want to be the test case? Not really. However the facts are that I am white, 33 years old, no record, job, no points my license, and clean cut. I would be worried if I was black or hispanic and looked and dressed like a thug. Racist? Maybe a little but this is real life and it matters. I really don't think there would be a problem but hey who knows.