n4p226r

What gear do you use

I have no clue how these matches work but I'd definitely like to get into it. Im wondering what gear you use

Gun

Magazines

Ammo

Holsters

Belt

Safety

What competitions you shoot

Anything else you'd like to add

Also. I have a p226 9mm. 2 stock mags. Would that be usable/competitive in any class? What additional stuff do I need.

Thanks

Bill

That's totally usable. I've only done 2 USPSA matches, with a Sig Pro SP2022 in 9mm (no external safety), 4 mags (32 rounds is max scored per stage I think, 10 in each in the production class), Blackhawk serpa holster and pouches. I just use my everyday belt, which works fine at my level. So you can get going in USPSA for the price of a holster, pouches (or just use your pockets) and 2 more mags.

Beretta Px4 Storm Type F 9mm

5 mags (3x 10 round, 2x 15 round)

9mm 115gr FMJ (Whatever's cheapest)

Blackhawk SERPA, Uncle Mike's Dual mag holster

Regular belt

Eye protection, Ear pro, "blinders" to protect the sides of my eyeglasses

IDPA, USPSA

Try looking up the Bladetech DOH IDPA pack. That should be good for you. Also - get more mags - you'll need at least 3.

For USPSA I have the following;

Holster (Bladetech for production, L-10, SS, and 3 gun, race type for Limited and open)

Mag or clip holders to hold anywhere between 3 and 6 mags on my belt depending on class.

At least 8 magazines or clips for each gun I use for USPSA.

Cr speed belt set up with holster and mag carriers for each division I shoot in.

Load my own ammo.

Ear muffs

Low rider ball cap

Shorts

For IDPA;

Bladetech holster and dual mag pouch

Several mags

CR speed inner belt

Load my own ammo.

I might have more than what I actually need, but perhaps not enough.

I suggest a good holster and mag pouch,(I use, like, and recommend Bladetech) at least 6 quality mags, and a CR speed or similar type belt.

this should be enough to get you started.

After that, sky is the limit.

Ruger SR9

Five total. Two X 15, three X 10. Ten rounds in each.

Whatever ammo I can get my hands on.

Fobus holster. Mine works for my gun, a better holster is recommended.

Uncle Mikes belt.

Eye/ear protection

USPSA

"Anything else you'd like to add" That it's fun as hell.

Your P226 will work just fine, however I recommend that you get AT LEAST three more mags for a total of 5, 6 would be better.

For production, L-10, and SS I would consider having 5 mags on the belt and 1 in the gun. So many times I have (and seen) people drop mags, forget to load mags in their belt, and go though several mags on stubborn steel.

Having 48-60 rounds for a stage might be overkill but when you don't finish a stage because you ran out of ammo, that would drive me bonkers.

I have a cr belt and bladetech holster/ mag pouches.

I have a lot of mags for each gun I have. If you need to borrow some mags, let me know. I think I may have like 10 9mm p226 mags. I also have a bladetech holster for a p226 if you wanna try it out.

For production, L-10, and SS I would consider having 5 mags on the belt and 1 in the gun. So many times I have (and seen) people drop mags, forget to load mags in their belt, and go though several mags on stubborn steel.

Having 48-60 rounds for a stage might be overkill but when you don't finish a stage because you ran out of ammo, that would drive me bonkers.

+1. I learned about only having 4 mags during a run in with stubborn steel this weekend. I plan on having 6 next time around. that "oh crap I'm out" for the last 4 paper targets really really sucked

So is 9mm the most popular round? Seems that's what most here shoot

I am not sure but I think from what I have seen 40s&w might be the most popular.

I load 9mm for production and Open,(using 2 different toolheads ) 40s&w for limited, production, and singlestack, (2 toolheads as well) and 45acp for 45acp.

Honestly, "most" of the shooters I know who reload are reloading different calibers.

But when I started out I was only loading 45acp, but that lasted about 2 months.

Honestly, if you're just starting out in USPSA, don't worry about getting expensive equipment or more things than you need.

All I have is:

CZ 75b

Holster

1 Mag pouch, another on order

4 magazines

Ammo 9mm

Ear/eye protection

That's it. And that is all pretty much what's needed if you're starting out, until you start getting more serious about it.

Just make sure to have at least 4 or 5 mags, a good holster, mag pouches, and lots of ammo :D

So is 9mm the most popular round? Seems that's what most here shoot

9mm is popular in Production division as there is only Minor Power Factor. 40S&W and 45ACP is popular for major power factor, 38 Super and 9mm Major to a lesser degree. The most important piece of equipment is a holster that prevents access to the trigger. The second is a velcro inner and outer belts. After that, it's personal preference and whatever shaves time off a stage. You should also consider a good quality set of electronic ear muffs.

9mm is popular in Production division as there is only Minor Power Factor. 40S&W and 45ACP is popular for major power factor, 38 Super and 9mm Major to a lesser degree. The most important piece of equipment is a holster that prevents access to the trigger. The second is a velcro inner and outer belts. After that, it's personal preference and whatever shaves time off a stage. You should also consider a good quality set of electronic ear muffs.

people use 9mm, 40s&w, 357sig, and 45acp all the time in production. Yes it is scored as minor, but if you have a gun that meets the criteria for production it's your call.

If I had a choice, I would use 40s&w in production over a 9mm. Larger bullet profile for hits that are near the perf , 40 minor load has less recoil (felt) than a 9mm, enough weight to knock down steel.

9mm major and 38 super/supercomp are 2 of the more popular choices in open. However some people use 9mm/38 super in L-10, Limited, and especially SS minor.

40 and 45 are used everywhere else.

Really is just a matter of what do you have and what division can you shoot it in.

But I agree with Mike you should have a quality holster, mag pouches, and a good belt.

After that, you are on your own.

I only shoot IDPA at the moment

-P226 E2 in 9mm

-4x15 rd mags

-Blackhawk Holster on belt (serpa-lock is nice for everything but competition, get a Bladetech)

-Fobus paddle double mag carrier

-load my own, 124gr JHP

-Since you only carry two spare mags in IDPA, I put my 11 rd in my pocket (to start with, not under time constraint) and keep two loaded to 10 in my mag pouch.

For you guys that use 5-6 mags what hipsters do you use. The only 4 mag one I've seen is raven concealment. Everything else I see are single or two stack. How well would the raven phantom work for competition? I know a lot of ccw users like it which I'm sure means nothing for competition. Or may be a negative

you either run 5-6 single mag pouches or 3 dual mag pouches or a combination of both.

Various different companies make mag pouches, so choose whichever one you want.

I currently run with Cr Speeds, Bladetech, and Safariland.

Rule 5.2.5

Where a Division specifies a maximum distance that a competitors handgun and equipment may extend away from a competitors belt, the measurement shall be taken in the following manner:

-perpendicular to the belt at the point of attachment to the belt

-from the inner most surface of the belt equipment (against the pants/body) to the nearest body-side surface of the handgun and/or any reloading device.

I will say that rig is legal, but undesirable. In the ideal world, when you reach for a mag you want your hand to move backwards along your belt until it runs into a mag, grab it, and go. When your mags are arranged linearly this works well. When you start staggering them you end up grabbing the mag inconsistently, or missing it completely.

Personally I've been using the same old Uncle Mike's double mag pouches for 9 years. This one actually. I have two of them on my belt next to each other and they are getting kinda beat up but are in perfect working order after many many thousands of reloads. They are adjustable so they fit a number of mags (I've personally used then with CZ, Glock, M&P, and Beretta mags). Every now and then I look at high speed low draw ones and go "Hmm those look sexy I should buy some" and then I remember that I payed $25 for mine (inflation, they were $12 9 years ago), work like a champ, and would be an idiot to replace them.

I'll be using

Stock Colt "Combat Elite" 1911

Blackhawk Serpa Holster

magazines are a mix of no-name 7 rounders from 44Mag, original colts, and a couple of Kimbers. To be replaced gradually with Wilson Combat 10 rounders.

2X Blade-tech 4-pack mag pouches

Safariland Buckleless outer and inner belts

Ammo will be handloads, Berry Plated 230 Rn over Clays

Hearing Pro is Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs

i have an extra 1911 double mag pouch if anyone needs to borrow.

Started with a 1911 Blackhawk Serpa, on my belt, along with 2 double mag pouches. Then started playing with stuff.

Production:

Sig P226,

Double alpha belt

Blackhawk Serpa holster

5 Safariland 771 single mag pouches

Limited 10/Single Stack (1911)

Smith 1911 9mm Pro

Double Alpha belt

Blackhawk Serpa holster (Single Stack)

Safariland 011 holster (Limited 10 minor)

5 Safariland 771 single mag pouches.

Limited 10/Limited

Tanfoglio Limited HC (Eaa Elite, Limited 40)

Double Alpha Belt

CR Speed WSM2 Holster

5 Safariland 771 mag pouches

So. Going to order a bladetech doh for my p226r. Which belt loop is the one to get though

I think the Tech-Lok comes standard with that holster. Nice in that you don't have to thread it on the belt and Vlad's right, it does work quite nicely.

That pic is what I have on my holster. I ordered the teklock but they sent the belt loop attachment by accident. It works very well but I hate threading it thru the belt instead of just attaching it where I want with the teklock. Plus belt loops are a royal pain in the a**. I see a CR speed belt in my future.