imperialfish

What Ever Happened to the Katrina Guns?

During the aftermath of the Katrina disaster, August 29, 2005, to December 31, 2005, authorities confiscated and/or destroyed legally possessed weapons from their owners, according to news reports and eyewitness accounts. Armed National Guard and Police officers went house-to-house and took the weapons, refusing to provide any receipts and (according to witnesses) even destroying family heirloom weapons on the spot (watch the videos below for details).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm5PC7z79-8&feature=player_embedded

At this point, you can “apply” for the return of your firearm — but there are multiple hoops you have to jump through — and there is no guarantee that they will ever be found or returned. The paperwork just means they will “conduct a search” for your weapon(s). You also have to sign a “hold harmless” waiver, witnessed by a notary, and you may be required to get a court order. There is also a background check.

To learn more about this debacle, visit the City of New Orleans website and begin by downloading the paperwork.

http://www.nola.gov/en/GOVERNMENT/NOPD/Hurricane-Katrina-Firearms

I can't watch those videos again. They make me sick to my stomach. What a surprise they are making people sign a "hold harmless" statement, so they can't be sued. Screw every single one of those douchebags that unlawfully disarmed people. Those people should be publicly executed for treason. And don't try to feed me the "they were only following orders" line, an order is only only to be followed if it is lawful!

• Like 2

Lets take away people's guns when they most need them. Yup that makes sense.

Lesson learned, in any disaster situation, hide your guns. I'd problaly leave a few around to give them as bait so they move along.

Cold dead hands baby!

and they would be if you went against a whole group of PD or National Guard guys. Sure I bet you would take out a couple though. I agree with you in theory though.

I also think I would leave a few for bait and hide the rest a bit better.

• Like 1

Cold dead hands baby!

everyone says that, everyone says 'take my guns bullets first', but when it comes down to it, no one has ever stood up against this rotten government. not during katrina, and not here a few months ago when IO rifles were suddenly illegal. how many people on this very forum had to turn in their totally legal guns......and now what? have they gotten them back? exchange? what?

it will take a HUGE number of people to COLLECTIVELY say 'from my cold dead hands' -and actually mean it- to make a difference. one, two people who stand up (if its reported in the first place) will be labeled militant terrorists, and imprisoned forever if not killed outright.

• Like 1

and not here a few months ago when IO rifles were suddenly illegal.

That's because CMO was refunding them, and this was ONE gun. If I was told one of my guns was illegal, and I had to return it.....I would be pissed as hell, but I'm not going to go postal about it. Somebody comes knocking on my door saying I need to give ALL my guns up during a crisis......that's a different story.

• Like 1

IMO this is not so much a gun-rights thing, as so much of an "emergency powers" thing. It seems when it comes to emergency powers/marshal law, it is rule by decree with an exemption based system of how far they can go.

This is why some states have enacted gun-rights rules during usage of emergency powers, i.e. "During emergency power/marshal law periods, govt employees are forbidden from disarming citizens in legal (according to current state/fed laws) posession of firearms".