-sro-

Making Pmags NJ legal?

Hi all!

I am looking to buy a bunch of Pmags and would like to save some cash. I can buy the 20 round magazines and the 5 round reducers for alot less than the already modified mags.

What do I have to do to make the magazines legal?

all opinions appreciated.

Thanks!!

I am sorry, but I strongly believe that your FFL is incorrect. Considering it is your freedom on the line, please don't take just my word for it. Look at the statutes.

I believe that it would be illegal for even a non gun owning individual to possess a 20 round magazine in New Jersey. There are exemptions to this (i.e. police on duty, FFLs), but not for ordinary citizens.

Copied from the NRA-ILA site:

Any magazine with a capacity greater than fifteen rounds is prohibited, even if there is no semi-automatic firearm to accompany the magazine unless the person has a registered “assault firearm” and the magazine is used for DCM sanctioned shooting matches

Here's the actual cite:

2C:39-3(j)

j.tab.gifAny person who knowingly has in his possession a large capacity ammunition magazine is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree unless the person has registered an assault firearm pursuant to section 11 of P.L.1990, c.32 (C.2C:58-12) and the magazine is maintained and used in connection with participation in competitive shooting matches sanctioned by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship of the United States Department of the Army.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

There are exemptions to this (i.e. police on duty, FFLs), but not for ordinary citizens

LEOs are totally exempt. The original law said no exceptions off duty but that meant is a LEO was issued a Glock 17 as a duty weapon he or she couldn't carry it off duty. Trust me the legislature tried to restrict LEOs but decided they'd just exempt them.

There are exemptions to this (i.e. police on duty, FFLs), but not for ordinary citizens

LEOs are totally exempt. The original law said no exceptions off duty but that meant is a LEO was issued a Glock 17 as a duty weapon he or she couldn't carry it off duty. Trust me the legislature tried to restrict LEOs but decided they'd just exempt them.

bs...... We are not "Totally Exempt" Weapons used in performance of out Duties (which Off-duty firearms DO fall under since we are considered ALWAYS "on Duty" when armed) are covered, as long as you have a signoff letter from your Chief Stating that it is a weapon to be used in the performance of duty. However, Firearms used solely for personal use are NOT COVERED. For example I Can't have Hi-cap AR Magazines, GSG-5 Mags, or Black Dog Mags any more than any other citizen, or Hi-caps for any other firearm I purchase, not can I have ANYTHING covered under the AWB without the Letter, which VERY few CLEOS are going to give out considering the liability. For Example.. I Want an Fn 5.7, but I CANNOT POSSESS 20 round magazines for it, as it does not fall within the On/Off Duty carry guidelines because that caliber is not authorized by my Dept.,,if i Get one i have to have the same 10 round factory mags as everyone else, unless someone out there is blocking the 20's to 15 for those of us here. Same with the Kel-tec .22WMR pistol..WANT BAD..but ehatsht eh point as we cant have thosr 30 round mags here.

As for the Pmags, You cannot possess and unaltered magazine unless you are a FFL holder, andf that includes the "Rebuild Kits" some folks use to try and get around the law. Now, Will you get jammed up for buying them disassembled, putting in the -5 floorplates and pinning them yourself? In all honestly the probablility is INCREDIBLY Low...that said, the possibility exists, although if the circumstances dictate LE coming across those unaltered magazines in your home, you probably have a hell of a lot more to worry about than a couple of PMags.

• Like 1

Talked to my FFL, he says I can have the magazines separate from the gun.

You should tell us the identify of this FFL, because he sounds like someone from which to stay away (at least for those of us who aren't anxious for some leisurely "state time"). Goodness only knows what he/she is telling people about other stuff....

• Like 1

a dealer can ship you a high capacity magazine dissasembled and its perfectly legal to own as long as its dissasembled. just make sure when you assemble it the first thing you do is put that block in. heres a website that actually ships the high cap magazines dissassembled. Trust me its legal i looked it up its a loop hole in the system. Theres nothing that says that you can't receive a high cap magazine dissasembled then modify it to except the legal amount. when you find the magazine you like just tell them you want it as a part kit. I bought two glock 17 mags from them took them to my vt house and assembled and left them there.

http://www.44mag.com/

but honestly i would just order the ones from midwest its easier then dicking around with modifying them

a dealer can ship you a high capacity magazine dissasembled and its perfectly legal to own as long as its dissasembled. just make sure when you assemble it the first thing you do is put that block in. heres a website that actually ships the high cap magazines dissassembled. Trust me its legal i looked it up its a loop hole in the system. Theres nothing that says that you can't receive a high cap magazine dissasembled then modify it to except the legal amount. when you find the magazine you like just tell them you want it as a part kit. I bought two glock 17 mags from them took them to my vt house and assembled and left them there.

but honestly i would just order the ones from midwest its easier then dicking around with modifying them

Anyone else buying this "repair kit" thing? The site is saying they believe a magazine in disassembled form does not constitute a 15+ rnd high cap mag in NJ. I suppose there isn't any "constructive possession" wording in our laws similar to in the AWB, so I guess it has some merits for discussion.

Personally to me, it sounds like one of those "who wants to be the legal guinea pig" moments....

Anyone else buying this "repair kit" thing? The site is saying they believe a magazine in disassembled form does not constitute a 15+ rnd high cap mag in NJ. I suppose there isn't any "constructive possession" wording in our laws similar to in the AWB, so I guess it has some merits for discussion.

Personally to me, it sounds like one of those "who wants to be the legal guinea pig" moments....

I just got 2 mags in from 44mag.com this morning ( took forever to get here). I ordered the NJ compliant disassembled mags as you did. Ive already filled the bottom of the mags with acrylic resin and im going to pin them tomorrow when the acrylic sets a little harder. I surely hope that these are legal to have in a disassembled form! I just did this as a bs project to see if i could do it properly and will not be ordering disassembled mags again unless i can confirm that it is legal!

I am tempted to ask how you came to that logic, and please site the law. I honestly don't think a loophole is a good legal foundation. We have had this discussion numerous times here, and in all cases, it is parts that go together.

:facepalm:

Does anyone ever bother to read?

There are currently no federal restrictions on the sale of high capacity magazines, but several states do have their own restrictions. High capacity magazines can be disassembled into repair kits for shipment to states with high capacity magazine bans. This allows customers to repair magazines that they already legally own. There is a per magazine service charge for disassembling a magazine into a repair kit. Simply check the convert to repair kit box when adding the magazine to you shopping cart.

A repair kit is a magazine that has been disassembled into parts and is to be used to rebuild a damaged magazine that the customer already legally owns. A repair kit normally consists of a magazine body, follower, spring, and floorplate. Exact contents will vary depending on type of magazine. It is important that these kits are only used to rebuild magazines that the customer already owns as any other use may be a violation of state law.

Trust me, that site is just trying to circumvent the law... they have absolutely no skin in the game, and just want to make a buck.

From the state police.

"Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container, which is

capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly

therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm. A large capacity ammunition magazine that has been

permanently altered so that it is not capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition will

cease to be defined as a "large capacity ammunition magazine." An ammunition magazine, which

has been temporarily blocked or modified from holding more than 15 rounds, as by a piece of wood

or a pin, is still considered to be a "large capacity ammunition magazine."

So even having that mag body, the argument can be made it is a large cap mag. Why risk it over a few bucks. Either go to PA, modify the mags there, bring them back, or just buy permanently modified mags to begin with.

• Like 1

WAIT. You mean that my full automatic M16 that is in parts spread about the house is illegal. It is still in pieces and the guy that sold it to me said it was legal to own since it was in pieces.

• Like 1

At one point I was able to purchase permanently modified P-Mags that started as 30 rounders. Then tubes were cut down and floor plate groves cut in a new position. The springs was also cut down. These mags fit 15 rounds exactly, run 100% and have the advantage of being fully disassemble-able for cleaning. I bought 5 of these originally. Wanted to buy some more but I did not save the link and now can't find the vendor who sells them. Which is a shame because from what I am seeing available now, these were by far the best executed reduced capacity mags.

I could probably replicate the work with a table saw, but that of course entails bringing 30 rounders into the state to begin with.