Babyface Finster

Couple questions before putting in my application

I was filling out the paperwork and a have a few questions:

1) The form asks for hair color. I have had a completely shaved head for almost 10 years. What do I put down?

2) When I was 18, I was convicted of shoplifting. It was a bit more complicated than that but suffice to say it was stupid kid's stuff and I haven't been in any type of legal trouble since then save for a speeding ticket here and there. I'm 41 now. Would this conviction be grounds to deny me? I really don't want to spend the money or wait the extra time to have the record expunged, but also don't want to have a denial on my record. Do I really need to have this expunged or am I overthinking?

3) Due to some marital issues, I began seeing a therapist less than a year ago. No big deal, just someone to help me communicate with my wife better. It has done wonders for us, but I'm not sure why I need to disclose this to get a handgun permit. I'll put it on the form, it just aggravates me that I have to. What's next, they'll want to look through my wife's underwear drawer? Anyway, do you guys think this is any kind of an issue?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1. I would put "bald" on the application, or just call them up and ask them what to put.

2. Will let someone else answer this.

3. My understanding is that if you are going to a therapist for things like this, you should put NO. This questions refers to those who are mandated by court to go.

When ever you have a conviction if its still on your record you really should try to get it expunged, It is potential grounds for getting denied. For hair you should ask if you can put bald or you would have to put the color your hair would be if you grow it. I do not know enough about the psychological background checks to give you an answer on that. Best of luck

You can go online and get forms for a records check on yourself from the state police and can do so for the town it happened in. See what comes up. I know somone who had a shoplifting charge many years ago and did not show up on the records checks and it was much cheaper then a lawyer.

3) Due to some marital issues, I began seeing a therapist less than a year ago. No big deal, just someone to help me communicate with my wife better. It has done wonders for us, but I'm not sure why I need to disclose this to get a handgun permit. I'll put it on the form, it just aggravates me that I have to. What's next, they'll want to look through my wife's underwear drawer? Anyway, do you guys think this is any kind of an issue?

You're 100% fine. The mental health check is for people that have had a history of violent mental illness and/or have been INVOLUNTARILY confined to a mental institution ie court ordered anger management. Mark it as "no". Many of us have seen psychologists and psychiatrists for personal issues; it does not preclude us from owning firearms.

I did my own expungement. Start to finish took about 7 months from my initial petition to the letter from the NJSP. 4 moths for the judge to order the expungement and 3 months for the NJSP to send me confirmation that they complied with the order.

Thanks for the replies.

I did my own expungement. Start to finish took about 7 months from my initial petition to the letter from the NJSP. 4 moths for the judge to order the expungement and 3 months for the NJSP to send me confirmation that they complied with the order.

I suppose I have waited this long to apply, I can wait another few months to expunge my record first. I found the forms online, so as long as I can do this without a lawyer it's well worth it.

I was filling out the paperwork and a have a few questions:

1) The form asks for hair color. I have had a completely shaved head for almost 10 years. What do I put down?

I gave up putting down Brown for hair color a while back (it would be more gray than brown now anyway). I put in bald.

You're 100% fine. The mental health check is for people that have had a history of violent mental illness and/or have been INVOLUNTARILY confined to a mental institution ie court ordered anger management. Mark it as "no". Many of us have seen psychologists and psychiatrists for personal issues; it does not preclude us from owning firearms.

Don't they check against HIPAA records? If you were on medication, they would know about that probably? I checked into HIPAA and supposedly they have a 5 year record of prescriptions.. Anyone care to chime in? Reason I say this is because a psychiatrist writes Rx, not a psychologist...

Don't they check against HIPAA records? If you were on medication, they would know about that probably? I checked into HIPAA and supposedly they have a 5 year record of prescriptions.. Anyone care to chime in? Reason I say this is because a psychiatrist writes Rx, not a psychologist...

Here's my take on it...

If the medical history check is marked "no" and returns a record, you will have to get clearance from a psychiatrist before getting approval.

If the medical history check is marked "yes", you'll have to get that clearance even if no record is returned...

Here's my take on it...

If the medical history check is marked "no" and returns a record, you will have to get clearance from a psychiatrist before getting approval.

If the medical history check is marked "yes", you'll have to get that clearance even if no record is returned...

Good point.. Damned if you do damned if you don't.. Might as well make em find it rather than advertise it..

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to have my record expunged and I can see it will not be easy. It looks to be simple enough to fill out the paprework, but the agencies involved move with the typical lack of haste you would expect.

I stopped by the court clerk in my old home town (been gone for about 20 years) to get all the pertinent info on the conviction. The clerk gave me a form and told me it would be at least a month before he could even look into it. I recognized the administrator as a guy I used to hang out with in high school. I talked to him for a minute and he told me to sit tight. Came back in about 5 minutes with a printout for me. Lucky break.

I then called the probation office and was told that it would be 2 weeks before they could even send me an information request form just to find out the date I completed probation. God knows how long it will take to get the actual information. All this is just to get the information I need to fill out the damn expungment request.

By the time I get the expungment and actually get my FIP and PP they will probably be selling ray guns. Oh well, one of the many joys of being a lifelong resident of NJ.