So my father-in-law gave me an M1 Garand, which made me extremely happy. Until he said it was chambered in .308. This made me sad, because that means it is a new production Springfield and not USGI surplus. Still, it's a free Garand. Please make me feel better about this...

I guess that sounded quite shitty on my part. Believe me, i am extremely grateful. I just don't understand why this even exists when there are so many USGI surplus rifles out there. I'm fairly sure he paid close to $1K for this and at that pricepoint, you're looking at some high-quality USGI Springfields or Winchesters. Why bother buying a "copy" in the wrong chambering when you can get an original?

EDIT: WOOHOO 100 posts.

Edited by papercutninja

Guest schutzen-jager

check the markings - navy converted many garands to 7.62 in the 1960's - might be an original GI -

I guess that sounded quite shitty on my part. Believe me, i am extremely grateful. I just don't understand why this even exists when there are so many USGI surplus rifles out there. I'm fairly sure he paid close to $1K for this and at that pricepoint, you're looking at some high-quality USGI Springfields or Winchesters. Why bother buying a "copy" in the wrong chambering when you can get an original?

EDIT: WOOHOO 100 posts.

Don't worry about it, I was just busting your chops. Congrats on a great rifle!! Part of it was because I'm green with envy :icon_mrgreen: Wish I could AFFORD an M1, let alone get one as a gift!! In for the range report.

So, it turns out that this is a milsurp receiver converted to 7.62 at some later date. Checking the serial number, it looks like it was originally manufactured in May of 1943. The charging handle is stamped "7.62mm", which is the only clue it isn't a standard .30-06 chambering. The stock is new, with no markings.

I actually feel about a million times better now, because it's not a foolish copy like the 2005 Springfield release.

Check the barrel under the charging handle. If it's marked 7.62 NATO Mod 2 it's one of the Garands the Navy converted to 7.62 NATO. A much rarer bird than your run of the mill M1. The Navy first tried putting a chamber insert in the original M1 barrel and it didn't work so well. Then they rebarreled them ( Mod 2!). When I moved by LST in Vietnam the sailors on deck watch carried these. I think some Garands were made up in 7.62 NATO by the military for competition. If you go to the CMP forum and list all the markings there are people there that can give you more specifics.

Note that whatever the case you should only shoot NATO spec ammo in it unless you install an adjustable gas plug. The gun is set up for that pressure curve as a standard Garand is set up for M2 ball.

I have 7.62 NATO "Tanker". It was made up with an Arlington Ordnance barrel and shoots well. The 18" barrel does throw out a huge fireball though.

So, it turns out that this is a milsurp receiver converted to 7.62 at some later date. Checking the serial number, it looks like it was originally manufactured in May of 1943. The charging handle is stamped "7.62mm", which is the only clue it isn't a standard .30-06 chambering. The stock is new, with no markings.

I actually feel about a million times better now, because it's not a foolish copy like the 2005 Springfield release.

Your FIL seems to like you quite a bit to give you a piece like that, one that is a rechambered GI receiver. You should of course give him something he would appreciate in return, like maybe grandchildren, or more of them, if you already have kids. And take him to teh range, pay for the ammo, let him shoot your toys, if you don't already.

Perhaps go to a CMP match?

Your FIL seems to like you quite a bit to give you a piece like that, one that is a rechambered GI receiver. You should of course give him something he would appreciate in return, like maybe grandchildren, or more of them, if you already have kids. And take him to teh range, pay for the ammo, let him shoot your toys, if you don't already.

Perhaps go to a CMP match?

All M1s rebarreled to 7.62 NATO aren't rare but you should do something nice for him. If it's a Navy rebarrel or Match Grade Garand made up by the military you really owe him more.

Believe me, when he did give it to me i was/am very grateful. That's the reason selling it was never an option as it has more sentimental value than anything else. When i thought it was the re-issue, i felt more like he was ripped off than anything else, considering the reviews on that version. But i'm extremely happy that it's a USGI, AND that he didn't get ripped off.

L1040486.jpg

these are the markings UNDER the charging handle. The numbers start with SA (Springfield Armory?) and all the way on the right side looks like the a 3 stars/Eagle Dept of Defense stamp, with a sans-serif P proof mark. I don't know what the M or the other numbers mean. It does NOT look like the USN conversions that i've seen, but it does lead to the conclusion that this is based on USGI parts?

L1040487.jpg

Charging handle markings

Like i mentioned before, the stock is a new one so there are no armory or other markings on it.

8-63 or 8-68 hard for me to tell but its a Springfield Armory august 63 or august 68 barrell manufacture. Not an after market. I cant quite make out the D number can u post it. Also, pull the trigger group and pop the stock off and post a pic of numbers on D number and revision on front leg. Barrell seems to have some funky coating on it, may be paint or it may be the pic. Barrell should be marked 7.62 nato, if not you may have a 7.62 op rod and 30.06 barrell, not likely but I would headspace before i used it. better yet, take it to a qualified smith who works on these rifles. Can you give us a pic of the chamber?

R1448_Bbl.jpg

R1447_Bbl.jpg

The number under the op rod has:

SA 6535446 3 63 Y16 P M (DoD mark)

Field stripped

Trigger has D28290-12-SA

Right side of the receiver has:

0 3 8 B (Diamond mark)

D 28291 27

Op Rod has:

6535362 HRA

Chamber pic

L1040492.jpg

The number under the op rod has:

SA 6535446 3 63 Y16 P M (DoD mark)

Field stripped

Trigger has D28290-12-SA

Right side of the receiver has:

0 3 8 B (Diamond mark)

D 28291 27

Op Rod has:

6535362 HRA

Chamber pic

L1040492.jpg

Springfield Barrell March 1963

WWII Trigger housing

Heat lot and D# seem correct to receiver, IMO not a reweld.

Post WWII HRA op rod

Try a spent 30.06 casing and see if it will chamber, if so its not 7.62x51. If it chambers I think you have a 30.06 with a HRA 7.62 op rod. Rifle is a mixmaster, I have a few mixmasters and they're my best shooters. Yours is probably a 1963 arsenal rebuild with the parts on the rifle.

• Like 1

AWESOME!! I'll get it checked out (i know for a fact that .308/7.62 cycles through it because i had some dummy rounds). Thanks for all the info.

It does not have import marks on it.

308 will chamber and cycle with dummys. Get some dummy 30.06 or 06 snap caps and see if they chamber and cycle......