I don't want to insult anyone's intelligence, but just to be sure you know, DON'T SHOOT THAT RIFLE until you get this sorted out. I agree with Edge, I don't see anything at all that points to .308 or 7.62 conversion so I think it's still 30.06. I've NEVER seen one (conversion) that didn't have the barrel stamped, (even if only the insert was added they still restamp the barrel).

If it is 30.06, it wasn't a good idea for someone to put that op rod on it, but if it was converted, the op rod is a poor choice of locations to mark it as it could be changed out too easily.

It's hard to tell from only two pix, but the finish looks strange on it too. It looks like some kind of paint or coating that has been chipped or started peeling off. Parker would not do that. The only reason I bring it up is that it may show that someone that isn't one of the "usual" Garand gunsmiths has worked on it. Maybe they did a non-standard conversion as well as a non-standard finish?

Either way, it looks like a real decent rifle and the price was certainly right! Once you figure out which round to stick in it, you should have a very good gun, but definitely put a 30.06 round in it and see if it chambers.

Good luck!

Guest schutzen-jager

i have 3006 mausers that are stamped 7.62 - in metric 30 06 = 7.62x63 mm + .308 = 7.62X51 mm - check to see if it will chamber a 30 06 case -

It has definitely been refinished at some point; the chipping is the grey paint that is on the receiver, and most of the metal parts on the rifle. It is most definitely NOT Parkerizing. In fact, the rear of the receiver where the serial number is stamped actually has fuzz/dust trapped in the paintjob. I know for a fact that this was not re-finished by my FIL, but whomever DID re-finish it certainly did a hack-job. I don’t know how much he paid for it (none of my business), but I REALLY hope he didn’t get ripped off because the finish was a HUGE concern of mine as soon as I saw it (aside from the caliber issue). Once I figure out definitively what the caliber is, I’m planning on sending it off to one of the places that re-parkerize Garands (probably DGR) to get it cleaned up and presentable. The whole rifle itself (stock aside) needs a good cleaning. I haven’t checked out the bore yet but most of the action in the receiver is pretty greasy (not cosmoline).

Regarding the chambering, I don’t cycle rounds through weapons unless I’m at the range, and if I’m not then I use dummies/snap caps. I do NOT use live ammo to check the action on a weapon. That said, I’ve run .308/7.62 dummies through it, and I’ve got some .30-06 snap caps on my next Midway order. That is, unless any of you nice folks have some dummy rounds you’re willing to send my way :)

Once I figure out definitively what the caliber is, I’m planning on sending it off to one of the places that re-parkerize Garands (probably DGR) to get it cleaned up and presentable.

Or don't bother trying to figure it out and let DGR do it for you. That seems like the best answer.

This guy does fantastic work. $125 and back to you inside one week.

My link

Deans is without a doubt one of the best in the buisiness, but a bit more money and MUCH slower turnaround time. Tim Shufflin is very personable and would make it more of a personal transaction and not like dealing with a big company. Can't go wrong either way.

So i ordered some 30-06 snap caps and got them today. I locked the action back and slid the snap cap into the chamber. THUMP. It stopped, with about a half an inch of the cap sticking out of the chamber and could not be inserted any further. The .308/7.62 dummy round i have slides in all the way.

Is it safe to say that this is a 7.62 Garand that does not have the barrel marked?

Sure makes this a bit of a mystery.

The barrel absolutely has the SA drawing number for an original USGI 30.06. If it were modified by the military they definitely would have stamped it 7.62. But from your test it sure sounds like it's modified for .308, (1/2 inch shorter). So it MUST have a chamber insert or "Navy Sleeve" even though it's not visable in the photo. The Navy considered the sleeve a failure as it would sometimes extract with the empty shell and caused a dangerous situation as the next .308 round would slide into the now 30.06 chamber, but for every person that says sleeves don't work, there is another who swears they do. (I don't know). My guess is that whoever refinished the rifle also put in either a Navy or commercial insert.

Is it safe to say that this is a 7.62 Garand that does not have the barrel marked?

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion yet. It would really be helpful to have an expert look at it. Can you shine a light down the chamber to see if you see a fine outline of an insert? (It would be helpful to get all that grease out of there for a better look at the chamber). Did you ask your father-in-law if he ever shot it and what he used? Or if he knows who may have converted it?

If you're going to send it out for refinishing, either Dean or Shuff would be able to give you the skinny on this so you know what you're dealing with for sure.

Best of luck with it.

Talked to my FIL, he had not shot it and says that all he knows is that it's 7.62, with no idea on the provenance or modifications on it. I'm 90% sure it's 7.62, just some sort of unmarked conversion like some of you have suggested. I AM however, going to to take it to Garand Guy up at Firearms Guild. I just have to find a day where i can get up there during the week.

I'll keep everyone updated. But don't worry, i have no plans on shooting it until i get an expert verification on what this is exactly chambered in.