7-3-2

1st handgun purchase

Semi or Revolver  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you recommend for a first purchase

Hey guys,

So for the last few weeks after going to the range and doing reviews I always assumed i was going to grab a semi auto pistol and was leaning heavily towards a M&P. No I have read a decent amount of people suggesting that you should buy a revolver as a first gun. Im just trying to gather the main points for and against each type of gun. Also is it possible to find a revolver in 9mm if I was to go that route? As right now I think I think that it a good caliber for my first purchase. Thanks in advance for your replies,

Kev

If I could only have 1 gun it would be a revolver.

Now that that is out of the way, being that you have been shooting a bit at the range I would also hope you have had the chance to shoot more than just one gun. The best first gun if your planning on getting more than 1 would be what feels the best and what you are most comfortable shooting, and it sounds like you have been using a Semi.

For cost of shooting, I would recommend 9mm as long as a 22LR pistol wasn't also in the mix, than go from there.

As far a a 9mm revolver I have not held one or seen one but haven't been looking either, but there are a few I have herd about, I think it was a Taurus.

Either way, shoot both before you make a decision and shoot the gun you want to buy before you buy it, and Shore Shot is a good place to do that.

Harry

A 4" 357 maag revolver is the best all around handgun and a good place to start. Small enough to carry and big enough to shoot well. There's a wide variety of factory ammo power loadings for whatever you need. Some will say it's harder to master a DA trigger and there's some truth to that. However millions of people have learned on a DA revolver so its not some unsurmountable feat. First choice would be a L frame S&W or GP100 (my choice).

There have been 9mm revolvers made but they have proven to be not too popular. You can do more with a 357 revolver in the same size package.

A 4" 357 maag revolver is the best all around handgun and a good place to start. Small enough to carry and big enough to shoot well. There's a wide variety of factory ammo power loadings for whatever you need. Some will say it's harder to master a DA trigger and there's some truth to that. However millions of people have learned on a DA revolver so its not some unsurmountable feat. First choice would be a L frame S&W or GP100 (my choice).

There have been 9mm revolvers made but they have proven to be not too popular. You can do more with a 357 revolver in the same size package.

I'm going to have to disagree. The Flash and recoil of a .357 is an acquired taste. I agree, it's a great round but I don't agree it's a good place to start. You can do 300 rounds of 9mm without batting an eye...300 rounds of .357 anyone?

I'm up for it, you buying the ammo? ;)

How about .38 instead of the .357, that should be an easier round.

I have a Beretta 96 INOX on order as my first handgun. Most likely the next will be a S & W 686 with a 6" barrel. Gotta see if the wife likes the weight of that first, I did!

I'm going to have to disagree. The Flash and recoil of a .357 is an acquired taste. I agree, it's a great round but I don't agree it's a good place to start. You can do 300 rounds of 9mm without batting an eye...300 rounds of .357 anyone?

How about 300 rds of 38 wadcutter? How about 130 gr fmj? That's one advantage of the 357 revolver you can start soft, go to standard 38s, +Ps and +P+s, and have the capability of shooting a round that is more powerful than a 9mm. With a 9mm you have a choice of...9mm.

I never said start with 357 ammo.

well, the beauty of the 357 revolver, is that you can shoot 38 special out of it. =)

I would say a revolver lets you focus more on controlling the gun, as opposed to a semi auto, where not only are you worrying about controlling the gun, but also making sure the gun functions.

Semi by a mile. Revolver takes a lot more practice to get proficient with. The long and heavy double action pull is hard enough to master when you already have most of the fundamentals in place. For a novice pistol shooter, semi trigger will be a lot simpler to master. It will help you avoid early frustration that may discourage you from shooting. Once you are proficient with a semi, go ahead and get a revolver if you are into that sort of thing. I enjoy my 686 now. I am even gearing up to do some USPSA shooting with it some day in not too distnat future. But I all but gave up on it when I first got it.

It is a tough decision because there is no right answer.

This..... it is a completely Personal choice.

I happen to LIKE Revolvers, if i had to choose betweeen all of the fireaarms ive had exposure to, and pick ONE, I would choose my first duty weapon a 4" S&W 681. Next choice would be the 1911 I currently carry and shoot comps with, that i've owned for over 20 years. I LIKE 1911's, and there will probably be a couple more variants before long in the safe if i keep shooting USPSA/IPSC others hate them. I Like Glocks.. Some despise them. I HATE metallic-framed Smith Autos...others swear by them. Try to shoot as many different types and calibers as you can before you make your decision...Listen to everyone, but make the decision yourself. better to buy a gun that YOU like and will shoot, then listen to soem "Expert' and drop money on something you'll come to hate, and have it be a safe queen.

Browning Hi Power, a 75 year old design, is the most ergonomic, compact, reliable, 9mm out there. They are high quality beautiful pistols.

An anniversary edition can be picked up at CDNN for $699.

Only negative is the trigger which can be heavy but can be fixed.