hd2000fxdl

Thinking about getting into Reloading

I have read over a few pages of posts in this section and have been thinking about getting into this later in the summer, a lot of information to absorb and plenty of research to do before I do make any decisions.

As far as equipment I have been looking at Dillan products with Hornady coming in a close second at the moment.

Here is what i am planning to reload if I do this, Mostly 40 cal and maybe 9mm, both would mainly for USPSA and steel is my thoughts, and also practice ammo so I am used to it when I do shoot a match. Was thinking about 380 but I have a couple thousand rounds and I don't shoot it that often, so I think it would cost more to set up than it would be worth so I'll just plan 2 different calibers for handgun ammo.

I may think about 30-30 being I also shoot that on occasion and for what i can get 7.62x54 for in bulk and the amount of shooting I would be doing, I'd skip that for now also, but I did want to mention the Rifle ammo being it would play a factor in what setup I would put together.

Now here is 1 of the 2 questions, I have been thinking about shooting clays, I have never done it, but I know from watching it and I know myself, as soon as I do it I will probably have another money sucking thing to add to all the others I have.

Now the second question, I mainly shoot USAammo new products, I was wondering if this was worth saving my old brass now and start being a brass whore with it. I also shoot WWB and Speer Lawman that I planned on saving.

Also with the brass I save, what is the number of times you can reload it, I know it would be the condition of each piece of brass but on average how many time can you safely reload them. Keep in mind I would be planning to load for power factor to keep it as close as possible, not looking to start turning out +P+ stuff.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I have only read about 4 pages in this section so far.

Harry

I can't directly speak to the reloading, but I can speak to clays. It's not that expensive. Costing 1 box of shells($6), $6/round of trap, it comes in cheaper than plinking with anything but a .22. Informal clays is even cheaper. After 75-100 rounds, I find I'm "done" for the day.

HD: If you start shooting clays, save your boxes and hulls. You will eventually reload shot shells. Not to save money but to get a more consistant round. It is much more fun than shooting paper. You have about 1/2 second or less to see and destroy a moving target 40 yards away. Very challenging and satisfying. I will show you how if you can get to Central Jersey RPC. PM me.

I just switched from a LEE Turret to a Dillon XL 650. They are worlds apart, but I learned on the LEE and would recommend that to anyone looking to get into reloading at an affordable price. Now, you will sacrifice speed for the dollars saved, but as a beginner I wouldn't say thats a bad thing.. If your of the "buy once, cry once" crowd, then start out with a Dillon. With the LEE you make mistakes one at a time, Vs. 4 or 5 at a time on the Dillon.

Since I started reloading, I got more into rile. So my plan is to keep the LEE for Rifle rounds, and use the Dillon to mass produce 9 and 45. I am far from a reloading expert, but either way you go, this board has a ton of knowledgeable people to help you out.

Start saving your brass now so you can hit the ground running when you decide, if you decide not to reload, you can always sell the brass to someone here on the forum for a few bucks..

If you are shooting USPSA and steel you will want a progressive press eventually. Single stage or turret just don't produce ammo fast enough. So you might as well buy once.

Dillon is the the gold standard. Hornady also gets good reviews. Normally I would recommend Dillon SDB. It is a nice little progressive press with auto indexing. You get it for about $370 preset for a caliber of your choice and ready to go. You can not get much in the way of accessories for it. Caliber changes are about $100 a piece. You can comfortably load about 300 rounds per hour to start and work up to 400 once you get the rhythm down. On the downside it uses proprietary dies that will only fit SDB and it will not reload rifle rounds. Which may make it a non-starter for you.

If you want to load rifle you will have to get either Dillon 550, Dillon 650 or Hornady Lock-N-Load. All of them accept standard dies, can be equipped with a shell feeder and will load both pistol and rifle cartridges. 550 does not have auto indexing - meaning it does not advance shell plate every time you cycle the handle. That means that you have to pay more attention or risk a chance of either a double charge or a squib. Otherwise it is a really good press. Both 650 and Hornady have auto indexing. I think Hornady has a bit more of vertical travel which makes it slightly slower. Hornady will run you about $200 cheaper than Dillon. Any one of the tree choices will work.

Another option is to get a SDB for pistol and a single stage or a turret for rifle. Most shooters that reload for rifle go for extreme accuracy rather than volume.

If you are shooting USPSA and steel you will want a progressive press eventually. Single stage or turret just don't produce ammo fast enough. So you might as well buy once.

Dillon is the the gold standard. Hornady also gets good reviews. Normally I would recommend Dillon SDB. It is a nice little progressive press with auto indexing. You get it for about $370 preset for a caliber of your choice and ready to go. You can not get much in the way of accessories for it. Caliber changes are about $100 a piece. You can comfortably load about 300 rounds per hour to start and work up to 400 once you get the rhythm down. On the downside it uses proprietary dies that will only fit SDB and it will not reload rifle rounds. Which may make it a non-starter for you.

If you want to load rifle you will have to get either Dillon 550, Dillon 650 or Hornady Lock-N-Load. All of them accept standard dies, can be equipped with a shell feeder and will load both pistol and rifle cartridges. 550 does not have auto indexing - meaning it does not advance shell plate every time you cycle the handle. That means that you have to pay more attention or risk a chance of either a double charge or a squib. Otherwise it is a really good press. Both 650 and Hornady have auto indexing. I think Hornady has a bit more of vertical travel which makes it slightly slower. Hornady will run you about $200 cheaper than Dillon. Any one of the tree choices will work.

Another option is to get a SDB for pistol and a single stage or a turret for rifle. Most shooters that reload for rifle go for extreme accuracy rather than volume.

You have to be pretty mindless to get a double load or squib on a Dillon 550. It just doesn't work that way. BTW I load w/ a 550 and it's pretty fool proof.

Edit: If anybody needs help reloading PM me. Come spend some time and once you understand what you are doing it will be simple. If you don't want to understand how and why you are doing what you are doing, then DON'T RELOAD!!!!!!

BTW I've been reloading longer than most of you are alive.

You have to be pretty mindless to get a double load or squib on a Dillon 550. It just doesn't work that way. BTW I load w/ a 550 and it's pretty fool proof.

A lot of people reload successfully on a 550 otherwise that model would not sell. However it is hard to argue that it is less fool proof than auto indexing press. The only person I personally know that has ever had a double charge reloads on a 550. And he loaded lots of rounds both before and since.

You can get SOME stuff locally, but basically the internet is your friend. Some guns shops will carry primers( Sayreville Sportsman), some will carry powder and primers (Solomon's) and most will carry nothing at all. Most serious reloaders but stuff mail order.

Take a look at Powder Valley, Wideners, Midway, Precission Delta, Montana Gold, etc

Hello all, I'm thinking of getting into reloading and was wondering where you get your supplies, brass, powder and so on and can you get them locally? Any help would be appreciated.

Locally, solomons in farmingdale has powder, sometimes primers. Brass, start picking it up at the range now and you will have a nice collection to get started. You can also buy once fired brass online, or sometimes a forum member will sell some on here. Check with your local range as well.

Bullets, I personally haven't found anyone local to be as cheap as buying online. You can also hit a PA gun show for powder/primer deals. From time to time there will be a group buy on any of the above by forum members as well. Search the forum for lots of links to online places. Others will chime in with local resources, my answers are based on my experience and practices... good luck and learn a lot Before crank that handle and make a round...

Edit; see Vlad G snuck one in while I was typing my response, ain't this forum great :-) ....

Edited by Regulator72