ronhonda

USPSA @ Old Bridge 4/24/11 Easter Sunday

5 mags per stage work you think? didn't even think i may be light on mags. 10 round mags.

That should be fine. The highest round count stage I have ever been on was 33, most I have done hover in the mid 20's......51 rounds should be more than enough to make up for any bad shots, or malfunctions. Most of the times, you probably won't need the last one or two mags, but they are always there just in case you have a bad stage.

I am putting up a Texas Star on my stage. And it will be moving by the time it is visible. :icon_twisted:

Your an evil evil man.. I'll keep an extra mag on my belt just cause i know the star will screw me up.. Last month the star on stage 4 (I think,, whatever stage had the highest round count) really screwed me up.. I didnt reload into the star and had two misses which forced a reload on a moving star.. But it was tons of fun. And now i know Texas Star = evil

Anyone that mentioned mag holders- I keep at least a soft double pouch that isn't the greatest but better then nothing.. And I'll have a double blackhawk if someone needs that too.

Stef or anyone else if you need a mag ill have glock mags.

I also have like 7 1911 mags that are 10rd- 4 are CMC and rest are wilsons. I also have 2-double pouches and 3 single pouches for those mags. I let me know what you want to borrow. I also try to keep extra holsters on me too if needed. I'll have glock and 1911 SERPA or other types

Also other people that mentioned mags- production class is 10rd mags so no worries if that's all you have.

Another thing I didn't know when I was just starting out is position of mag pouches and holster. In production it has to be behind you hip bone.. I'm explaining this wrong I think- point is the holster can't be all the way foward past your pants pocket. Someone more experienced can use the correct terms for what I'm talking about. I only mention it cause I didnt know till first uspsa match- which meant my practice draws all week were from the wrong holster position.

Anyone want to squad up?

For serious?

I need to buy 3 more mags then.....

For serious.

Two things to keep in mind:

1. Don't chase the plates. Pick a spot and let the plates rotate into your shots.

2. There is no other place you can practice shooting a Texas Star except at a match.

Don't hate the star, it is a VERY good target to practice on and frankly one of the most practical targets we have. Think about it, a 8" target moving about quickly, sometimes in unpredictable ways, thats a good target to know you can hit.

As for the round count, the reason you want 51 round on you, is not because you are going to shoot every one of them, but because you might miss, you might want to reload your gun BEFORE its empty (and dump some half full mags on the ground), because a mag can break, because you can fumble a reload and drop a full mag and you want to go for a fresh one instead of shaking dirt out of the one you dropped, etc.

Yea what Vlad said. I couldn't quite switch my brain to allow me to dump half mags on the move but once all the comstock stuff made sense and my stage plans actually stuck a few times after the buzzer I found out why 51 is useful.

Especially valid about mags in the dirt. I had a glock fail in a rainy muddy situation after the mag got really dirty- so pretty sure most guns don't like dirt mags haha

Vlad....I don't hate on Texas Stars because I think it's a bad target for competition or practical use....I hate on it because I'm a relatively new shooter, and have a tough time on them! I would LOVE to be able to run through a Texas Star with even ~10 shots, just not there yet. It's probably a GOOD thing that it will be there, probably good practice. It's one of those love/hate relationships.

We still have some folks on the injured reserve list and it's a holiday weekend. Anyone who can show up a little early to help setup or stay after teardown to help put things away will be considered awesome.

We still have some folks on the injured reserve list and it's a holiday weekend. Anyone who can show up a little early to help setup or stay after teardown to help put things away will be considered awesome.

i was planning on beith there before 8 anyway raz, gives me a chance to help set up before the new shooter's brief

Ohh and ill be cutting out some ears later on tonight :icon_twisted:

As far as The Star goes..i've shot it a couple of times in CAS matches..but then its usually at rifle distance. We call it the "Stink Star" for a reason

• Like 1

Do you HAVE to register in order to go? I have been holding off to see how the weather is.....I want to go, but would rather not freeze my a** in the mud.

You should preregister to make it easier for the pda scoring, however you can come there and register as a walk on.