msmith521

Transporting Fireman and Ammuniition Question

Hi everyone,

I am new here and have a couple of questions if anyone can help me out. I am new to owning a gun and I want to make sure I follow all the laws. My questions:

1) If I am driving to the range, if I have my gun UNLOADED in its gun case in my trunk, do I have to have my ammunition locked up or can it just be in a bag?

2) Also, if my gun is unloaded in its gun case in my trunk, where am I allowed to put my ammunition while driving to the range?

3) Does anyone know any good cleaning kits to clean a Smith and Wesson 357 Mag revolver without damaging it?

Thanks everyone! I look forward to hearing from you.

Mike

Hi everyone,

I am new here and have a couple of questions if anyone can help me out. I am new to owning a gun and I want to make sure I follow all the laws. My questions:

1) If I am driving to the range, if I have my gun UNLOADED in its gun case in my trunk, do I have to have my ammunition locked up or can it just be in a bag?

2) Also, if my gun is unloaded in its gun case in my trunk, where am I allowed to put my ammunition while driving to the range?

3) Does anyone know any good cleaning kits to clean a Smith and Wesson 357 Mag revolver without damaging it?

Thanks everyone! I look forward to hearing from you.

Mike

There are no ammo transportation laws except the general non sporting prohibition of hollow points. This means you could have ammo in your front pocket.

Firearms must be unloaded.

As for cleaning, buy a cleaning kit they are cheap. Chemicals...get Breakfree, remoil or G98 or any number of them and go to town. Hoppes is a little more tricky so read up on that before you go there.

I have a midway range bag.It's one bag with several compartments that seal. I place the pistol in a sleeve and put it in one compartment, ammo in another mags in another and so on.

One bag has all and it's perfectly legal. The key is each compartment is sealed(zipper).

Thanks for the quick response. As for the cleaning kits for the Smith and Wesson revolver, do you know of any certain brands that are good? I don't want to purchase a bad kit and potentially damage the gun.

Also, what is Hoppes? Sorry I am not fimiliar with the lingo yet since I am new to owning a firearm haha.

There are no ammo transportation laws except the general non sporting prohibition of hollow points. This means you could have ammo in your front pocket.

Firearms must be unloaded.

As for cleaning, buy a cleaning kit they are cheap. Chemicals...get Breakfree, remoil or G98 or any number of them and go to town. Hoppes is a little more tricky so read up on that before you go there.

Thanks for your reply. If the gun is unloaded in my trunk in a gun case, can I have the ammunition in the trunk as well in a different case and that's legal? Just clarifying since I am new to all of this. Thanks!

If the gun unloaded is locked in your trunk, the ammo can actually be on your back seat.

I also give a thumbs up to the midway bag. On sale for 39.99 right now. Bags like this easily go for over 100 bucks.

Click me for link to the bag

You can put your pistol, ammo, ears, eyes, drinks, rags, mags, and a ton of other things in this bag. It's a great deal.

Edit. I got beat to the punch but my link is for the bag that's a little bigger.

If the gun unloaded is locked in your trunk, the ammo can actually be on your back seat.

If you do this put it in a bag or something. If its laying about in the open it could be an instant conversation starter if you should get stopped enroute.

Thanks for the quick response. As for the cleaning kits for the Smith and Wesson revolver, do you know of any certain brands that are good? I don't want to purchase a bad kit and potentially damage the gun.

Also, what is Hoppes? Sorry I am not fimiliar with the lingo yet since I am new to owning a firearm haha.

Hoppes is a brand name of both Solvents, lubricants as well as Cleaning Kits themselves. As long as you buy a standard Cleaning Kit you shouldnt damage your handgun...after all, thats what the kits are Designed to do. About the only Possible worry might be if you were using some of the products such as the "Lead Out" Cloths on a blued finish gun, the solvent in those can strip the finish over time. But any kit will do, and you can spend anywhere from around $10.00 for a complete kit for a handgun up to a couple of hunded if you get really fancy.

Hoppes is a brand of gun cleaning products that have been around for a long time. Many dedicated users.

Nothing really special to clean your gun

Need a pistol sized cleaning rod that you thread attachments on to, I would get a brass or carbon rod as

these are softer than the steel of the gun and won't scratch it.

Need some type of solvent mostly this is a matter of personal preference as there are a lot of good products on the market.

The solvent makes cleaning lead, carbon and copper residues out of the gun easier.

Need a bore brush, can be plastic or brass use it to clean the barrel and the cylinders,

Some cotton patches to run down the bore to get the gunk loosened up by the bore brush.

After cleaning make sure to oil moving parts as the solvent will also removed lubrication.

If you gun is stainless, I have found the lead removing cloths do a very good job of cleaning the cylinder and around the forcing cone.

DO NOT USE THESE CLOTHS ON A BLUED GUN THEY WILL TAKE THE BLUING OFF

There are several videos on YouTube showing how to clean your gun.

Question on the lead cloths- is the removal process based on abrasive or chemical? I read on the i-vine the cloths may actually be removing the metal altho in micro amounts but can add up over time.

I have used one for over 10 years on stainless revolvers. I think its mostly chemical with a very mild abrasive. If they did any damage I would have seen it by now and there isn't any.