Melgamatic

Pure Sex

thanks, I am researching for my first pistol for my 21st birthday. I plan on giving myself a big gift of an H&K but not sure as to which one. Either p30, hk45, or usp

completely different animals altogether.

P30 is a 9mm, in different flavors, even a 40 is out now. You can have it with 3 different triggers (da/sa, LEM 1 and Lem 2), different sizes, Long and regular, and manual thumb safety or in between the ears safety. Very very ergonomic, great pistol.

Hk45 is a full size 45 caliber. very comfy, but it is a 45.

Both extremely reliable, and pleasant to shoot.

If this is your first handgun, keep in mind, most of the money you will be spending is not on the gun, but rather the ammo.

• Like 1

completely different animals altogether.

P30 is a 9mm, in different flavors, even a 40 is out now. You can have it with 3 different triggers (da/sa, LEM 1 and Lem 2), different sizes, Long and regular, and manual thumb safety or in between the ears safety. Very very ergonomic, great pistol.

Hk45 is a full size 45 caliber. very comfy, but it is a 45.

Both extremely reliable, and pleasant to shoot.

If this is your first handgun, keep in mind, most of the money you will be spending is not on the gun, but rather the ammo.

I agree with you. I have held them, but its more of picking a caliber to shoot. If i shoot .40 i will go with the p30. Lately i have been thinking about the hk45 because i read that it has a 30% recoil reduction built(or do all H&K's?) in and shoots well. I have only ever shot a couple glocks and my uncles kimber 1911. I fell in love with the H&K's due to the ergonomics.

Cost wise shooting, I plan on reloading to help cut costs. Reloading looks like a very neat hobby to get in to. I have began reading "The A,B,C's of reloading" and i was looking into a lee turret press.

thanks, I am researching for my first pistol for my 21st birthday. I plan on giving myself a big gift of an H&K but not sure as to which one. Either p30, hk45, or usp

P30 - Excellent handgun in 9mm or 40. Probably, THE most ergonomically perfect in existence right now....purely subjective of course. I've shot Cylinder Head's P30L w/, I believe, Heine sights. I believe his was/is a DA/SA variant. I'd like to spend a day shooting 250rnds or so through one. The guns I've been practicing w/ lately are mostly 9mm Glocks and an M&P40. The P30 has a recoil pulse that has a distinct feel to it. The Glocks/M&Ps feel like they have a faster cycling sequence to them vs. the P30. Not to say that's good or bad, just an observation. The only real complaint I've read of the P30/HK45are the sights. They use a luminous substance that glows in the dark after holding a light source to them. I understand that's for Europe as they don't all tritium of nigh sights over there. But I understand it is very common to replace the stock sights w/ something else. Also, I understand they are more coarse than precision sights. A P30 or USP9C are very high up on my acquisition list.

HK USP45/HK45 - I have a USP45F, my buddy has a USP45C and I've shot the HK45 a few times . Between the USP45 and the HK45, the ergonomic feel goes to the HK45. Like the P30, they feel great in the hand. Amazing feel, especially for polymer. Shooting them, they feel remarkably similar. The recoil signature has pretty much the same pulse to it. LIke the P30, the cycling doesn't feel to be as fast and gives a controlled pace to firing quickly (I know I'm not describing this correctly). Something for me that I've noticed when I really starting shooting Glocks heavily was that I shoot better w/ the blocky'er style grip frames. This applies to the USP45 and HK45 as well. The USP has a more rectangular grip frame, while the P30 is more oval. The trigger's have more or less the same feel w/ better reset going to the HK45. That is to say, long heavy smooth (smooth when broken in) DA and smooth (again, when broken in) long pretravel (more so on the USP) in a medium'ish 4.5lb SA trigger. I think the HK45 is a really nice pistol. I can't say I'm in any kind of rush to run out and get one w/ already having the USP. I think a good way to put it, at least to me anyway, is that the HK45 is the evolved version of the USP. Everything about the HK45 is a slightly more refined version of what the USP offers (outside of magazine capacity dropping on the HK45 to 10 from the USP's 12, this was done to keep the grip frame of the HK45 a smaller size).

It absolutely goes w/out saying that, in my mind anyway, HK pistols are at the top of the heap in terms of reliability, as well as durability and accuracy. In terms of accuracy, at worst, HK's are among the best examples of other service type pistols. At best, they are among the elites. I have a P7 that is THE most accurate pistol I've ever fired (again purely subjective). I remember all the hype when the USP's appeared on the scene, and especially for the USP45, reading about all the testing done on these pistols. I went out and bought one and was seriously impressed w/ it. I've never had a bobble w/ mine and accuracy has always been superb. Controlled pairs are pretty decent w/ it. The ONLY major downside I see is the rail. The USP pioneered the concept on the onboard pistol rail. It's unfortunate that they didn't have the foresight to see the desire for a standardized rail, such as that found on the P30/HK45, vs the USP only rail.

I have such an itch for a USP9C lately. Yeah, I know the P30 is the "uber'ist" HK 9mm pistol right now, but..... Was at the Bullet Hole and had the occasion to put a few rounds through a USP9C. I've never taken a pistol I've never shot before and shot so well w/ it. Again, I like a more blocky grip. Everything about it was perfect. Having said all that, I still like my Glocks. I, for some reason, find them more rewarding to shoot. Ehhh, it takes all kinds.

• Like 1

There is no Beretta handgun that can hold a candle to the HK45.

I agree with this. I am not a Beretta fan though.

I suggest you take a ride to shore shot. They have a hk45 there you can rent.

I like the HK45 but comparing it to glocks etc.. is apple and oranges. The triggers are nothing alike. Comparing the p30 to a sig 2022 would be more inline. While I like the p30/ hk45 lines, the trigger guard annoys the life out of me and that is why I don't own one anymore, Other than that, they are awesome guns and I wouldn't hesitate to own one. I also own a p7 and love it.

Awesome writeup by Rauchman. I'd agree with the different feel of "cycling" speed w/ HK's vs. Glocks or M&P's. I can't put my finger on it either, but if I had to guess it would be the difference in bore axis.

It's too bad you didn't shoot my HK45 man, you'd be hooked!!

Thanks Cylinder Head!!! I'm guessing the dual recoil spring has as effect on slide speed as well. I have to believe that the different spring rates of the recoil spring unit, slow the slide in stages as it goes through it's firing cycle.

As to your HK45, yeah, I'd like to shoot it and really compare the differences to the USP.