DblEGT

Which 9mm RANGE Handgun $600 or less? (no conceal and no carry)

Which 9mm RANGE Handgun $600 or less? (no conceal and no carry)  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which 9mm RANGE Handgun $600 or less? (no conceal and no carry)

Which 9mm RANGE Handgun $600 or less? (no conceal and no carry) Also, NEW...(not used).

Currently leaning towards a Beretta 92A1, although I can be swayed. Primary use will be a range gun, and therefore accuracy is very important.

Want to hear all your opinions and experience with the above, or if you have a better suggestion, please explain why?

thanks!

If accuracy is the overriding criteria, then the CZ. No other pistol you have listed here will match its mechanical accuracy potential. If you want THE most accurate pistol to be found in the $600 range, then the HK P7 will be the one to get. There have been a run of these as German police trade in's for the last few years. They typically run from the high $500's to the high $600's last I looked. I bought mine a few years ago for $650. No other pistol at that price point will have more mechanical accuracy unless you come across a screaming deal for a Sig P210 or something of that nature. The question is, can you as the shooter exploit that accuracy potential?

If you want something where other factors come into play a little bit, then any of the pistols you have listed will be roughly equal in terms of performance. You really have to shoot them to understand their differences in things like recoil characteristics, reset, muzzle lift, how it handles in your hand when firing vs. how it feels just holding the pistol, etc.

My pistol preferences are for Glocks, M&P's, HK's and Sigs. I like the CZ's for accuracy machines. I have an SA (Single Action)in .40 and it's THE most accurate .40 I've shot. I don't like that the pistol somehow seems cruder in manufacture and the trigger, while light, is not the best. I have, rather I should say, my wife has a Beretta 92FS, that is very accurate, but for me, hard to be accurate on. The grip is big and the trigger, while being very smooth, is heavy. I understand the main spring from the 92D model helps the trigger pull. As mentioned, I have an HK P7 that shoots laser beams and has a feel of sophistication that I haven't found elsewhere. But, past the accuracy and finesse equation, it's not what I would consider ideal for much else. It is small, but is far from light. I've shot an HK USP9C. It was very easy for me to be accurate on this little gem. It is VERY high on my list of "next pistol". I've shot a USP9/C, USP40/C, own a USP45F and have shot a USP45C & P30's of various flavors. I would have no hesitation buying a USP9/C, P2000 or some flavor of P30 if I came across one used in the $600 range. While most I've come across use a DA/SA type trigger, LEM (forget what this stands for) triggers are increasingly becoming popular. These allow a consistent SA weight trigger in a DA pull length. Sort of like a Glock trigger, but w/ 2nd strike capability in DA trigger weight. I've owned and sold a Springfield XD9mm Tactical. Of any pistol I've ever owned (somewhere around 20 or so), I thought the quality of the XD was the lowest. Extremely hard for me to be accurate on. Had very high hopes for that pistol. I've only shot an M&P in .40 (mine) and it has a lot going for it. Downside is, stock, the triggers leave a lot to be desired. I understand triggers in newer guns are better. If you're like most, plan to spend an additional $100 or so for better trigger parts, such as the Apex DCAEK. On mine, I've polished the internals and installed an Apex sear. The trigger on my M&P40 is now probably the best of any polymer gun I've handled. For myself and others I've read about, even though the pistol offers 3 different grips, the ergo's are "off" a little bit. Many do stippling or other grip mods. Overall, a really nice pistol, but for it to be optimal, plan additional funds and or time for your trigger. Sig has really nice offerings in the P226, P228, P229, if you're willing to go used, and the SigPro series for new purchase. Sig P226's are among the most accurate service type pistols. They've always maintained their accuracy and have been known for "To Hell and Back Reliability", whereas quality control on post 2004 models has been in question. The SRT (Short Reset Trigger) now available on newer Sigs, and as a retrofit to older Sigs, make's the Sig DA/SA trigger into the best trigger of this type, IMHO. I've gotten heavily into Glocks in the last few years. For me, they are the most rewarding pistols to shoot. For me, it took some time of frequent practice to get the Glock trigger down. The Glock is more accurate than most give it credit for. If it weren't for the mag situation, I would get a Gen4 G17 in a heartbeat. I have a Gen2 G17 and Gen4 G23, along w/ 2 G19's and G26. Of any, I like the G17 best for range time. It hangs w/ any service pistol out to 25 yards or so. Haven't fired much past that. W/ the Gen4 changes, I think the pistol would be perfect. G19 is a great choice, but if you really want to shoot for accuracy, this pistol is a little harder to be accurate on. I've read a lot of reports of Gen4 9mm's having issues, particularly the G19. I firmly believe Glock will sort this out at some point. I don't know if that point has been reached yet.

Revolvers are also great for accuracy...like a 686. That will beat any of the autos mentioned.

For accuracy and comfort, you cant beat a 1911 platform or CZ. I still cant believe that the glock 19 got 20 votes to be a target gun :facepalm: I love my glock 19 but if I had to pick one gun for target use only....that would NOT be it. It is mechanically accurate however it is more difficult to shoot accuratly due to the blocky sights, trigger, and weird hump in the grip.

Revolvers are also great for accuracy...like a 686. That will beat any of the autos mentioned.

For accuracy and comfort, you cant beat a 1911 platform or CZ. I still cant believe that the glock 19 got 20 votes to be a target gun :facepalm: I love my glock 19 but if I had to pick one gun for target use only....that would NOT be it. It is mechanically accurate however it is more difficult to shoot accuratly due to the blocky sights, trigger, and weird hump in the grip.

I totally agree with you Glenn... A Glock 19, although a good CCW pistol, is not a good target/accuracy gun. So many other choices out there that are way more accurate and easier to shoot for target shooting.

I'm starting to get interested in the Glock 19. Continue to hear nothing but good things about it !

I'll go to a store and check out ASAP.....have to make sure it fits my hands. Will also want to shoot at a range after that.

Any issues with the Gen 4 Glock 19 ??

My gen 4 g19 has been a workhorse.. I have both springs, no.3/no.4.. The no.3 spring feeds all ammo no problem, but i at least perceive SLIGHTLY more recoil than on the stiffer no.4 spring.. No.4 spring was picky with ammo on day 1, but after it got broken in was much better unless i was running really weak range ammo (IE, PMC, or blazer brass).. I love the gun though, reliable accurate and compact..

I started out with a Beretta ( M9A1 )

I've put probably about 2500 rounds of 9mm down range through it with ZERO issues. No Failures whatsoever.

So that's where my vote went.

And it also gives me an excuse to post a picture of mine, I ordered some hogue grips for it and got them installed today.

( its alot of different feel, The grip is tons better with the rubber and finger molds, but it does fatten the grip up alot, which isnt to bad for my giant hands, but others may have issues )

5867659355_5bc29a040d_b.jpg

STI Spartan 1911 in 9mm. Around 6 beans, and a tack-driver out of the box! A great 1911 "trainer" that you can run on cheap ammo, THEN:

Home defense .45 ACP 1911

IDPA .45 ACP so you can shoot with the big boys in CDP division

USPSA .45 ACP L-10 division (all you need to switch from Single-Stack is some Wilson Combat 10-round mags, around $35.00 each)

And you might be able to use the same holster & mag pouches for both the 9 & 45 too??

It all depends on which games you wanna play.........

Dave