Sign in to follow this  
Blue

handgun acquisition

But it wasn't obtained through a licensed dealer, so what good would getting a handgun purchase permit for it?

I dunno if it's the way you worded your question, but it is evident to me that you are in possession of this pistol?

I would go apply for a pistol permit asap, also i would start reading up on NJ gun laws.

I would not mention this so called pistol ever again until you have proper paperwork which shows a legal transfer of it to you.

Don't assume anything..... this is NJ and nothing makes sense.

Do you even have a Firearms ID card?

But it wasn't obtained through a licensed dealer, so what good would getting a handgun purchase permit for it?

Pistol Permits are required for face to face transfers of handguns. It's the law.

Do what you want, but do yourself a favor and read up on stuff like this http://www.sussexcountyjustice.com/guns.html

Yes, I have a firearms ID card. It appears, from the process I went through to buy the handguns I currently own, that this handgun must pass through a licensed dealer in this state for me to take possession of it, so in this situation where the pistol was not legally possessed (at least in the eyes of the state of NJ) by the previous owner, what good would a handgun purchase permit do?

What I am asking is if there is a way to bring this firearm into a legal status in NJ. What if I said I purchased it out of state in an estate sale, for instance? That there is no documentation to prove (or disprove) that statement?

I appreciate all responses, but especially informative ones that aren't patronizing...nuff said.

Blue

As a NJ resident, the only time you can receive a handgun without a purchase permit is if you inherited it. Any other situation you need to get your FID card and a Pistol Permit for each handgun you are receiving

Edit: out of state pistol acquisitions.. the pistol must be transfered from an FFL in the state of purchase, to an FFL at the destination state where it is to be picked up by the person acquiring it according to all state laws at the destination state. This is Federal law regarding pistol transfers.

As a NJ resident, the only time you can receive a handgun without a purchase permit is if you inherited it. Any other situation you need to get your FID card and a Pistol Permit for each handgun you are receiving

Edit: out of state pistol acquisitions.. the pistol must be transfered from an FFL in the state of purchase, to an FFL at the destination state where it is to be picked up by the person acquiring it according to all state laws at the destination state. This is Federal law regarding pistol transfers.

Not entirely accurate Dan. I believe an out of state pistol owner COULD bring it to an NJ FFL directly so that only ONE FFL is involved. I know that a non-FFL from out of state can ship a gun to an NJ FFL also though some FFL's don't like to accept shipments from non-FFLs.

The only legal state to state Handgun transfer requires an FFL. In state handgun transfers DO NOT require an FFL by law though some sellers prefer to use an FFL. BOTH of the preceding two processes require pistol permits in NJ.

The only exception to pistol permits is direct inheritance - and I'm not clear on the law regarding out of state inheritance.

Sorry for the sarcastic attitude Blue.

It's a really simple answer. You need a purchasers permit. If the current owner is in this state, you can do a face to face transfer by both filling out the pistol permit. If they are out of state, it needs to go through a ffl. In that case, you still need a pistol permit. If you already took possession of the gun that's an illegal transfer and I don't know what you can do there. Either way GET A PISTOL PERMIt

That is a helpful response, thank you.

So for the given the estate sale scenario to be legal, the owner would have to go with me to an FFL in the other state and pay a fee to have that FFL ship the pistol to an FFL in NJ so it can be transferred to me. Is that correct?

Does the owner live in another state? If so he can just bring it to any ffl there to send it here. I believe he can just send it to an ffl here if theyll accept it but im not sure 100% on that You don't have to be there with him and he doesn't have to be here with you. Just make sure you don't do a face to face handgun transfer out of state. Even with a nj pistol permit. That's a federal no-no

The only exception to pistol permits is direct inheritance - and I'm not clear on the law regarding out of state inheritance.

You CAN inherit handguns from out of state without needing PP's or registering them as long as they're not AWs. Same process as in state.