DJNEB

where to buy ak47??

i purchased my first ak, a GSG at cheyenne off of rt 130. i called them the other day and they said they dont sell, nor have ever sold, ak47 style firearms and made me sound like an idiot for even wanting to own one. i told them i purchased one from them a few months ago and they began arguing with me about it...

this leads me to my question - anyone know any place in central nj that handles ak47 sales? i am familiar with both cheyenne and sportsman center. neither have aks in stock. i also called dicks by the freehold mall and asked about a PG only shotgun and he said he didnt carry them due to vague laws, so i doubt he would carry ak47 styles either.

i would like to purchase another GSG or if they arent too expensive, an ak47 firing actual ak ammo. also, please let me know what they cost as i have yet to see any for sale. thanks in advance

You won't get the response you want asking for ak-47's. No gun store, much less NJ gs is going to tell someone over the phone "Why yes we have the type of firearm specifically prohibited in our state's statutes". Your best bet could be to look online. I'm sure Glenn will be here soon with a wealth of information for you.

You really only have one option of an AK-47 "style" rifle which isnt too expensive or hard to find and that is the polish milled model 1960. It is based on the type 3.

If by AK-47 you mean AKM, then there is a plethora of options including WASR-10s, arsenals, saigas and such.

http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/rifles/ak-pattern-rifles/cPath/209_214

Most of those are NOT NJ legal, but CAN be modified to be legal by an FFL

i may not have been clear - i do not mean literal ak47s. i mean nj legal ak style rifles. i am interested in the possibility of purchasing another one. i currently own a gsg 22lr ak i bought at cheyenne. i am interested in looking for a 7.62x39 ak style rifle. i am wondering what the price tag for those are, and where i would even purchase one in central jersey as i have only seen them in PA gun ranges i go to. i am not ready to spend any amount of money for a new gun tomorrow but i would just figure i would get some research going.

I have no idea what type of skill set you have.. but a saiga conversion can be pretty easily done..

Arms and ammo might have Saigas in stock..

A Saiga is Russian made rifle that has been converted to sported configuration to ease importation.... but under the BS you get things like chrome lined barrel.. they are not true ak47s.. as already discussed.. but they are solid guns.. you can check with him on price.. you would then pick things like furniture and a fire control group... once this process is complete you would essentially know the gun inside and out..

there is a link in my signature discussing the process in more detail...

If you want to take a ride, NY gun shows are loaded with compliant "AK" style rifles since they have similar stupid "Assault Weapon" laws to NJ. Just make sure not to buy a preban model (made before Sept 1994) since they are legal in NY and NOT in NJ. The prices are very competitive and there is no NICS fee up there.

The Middletown show is this weekend.

Paul at Arms & Ammo (PK90 on here). I just bought a Saiga from him last week in the caliper you are looking for. He does have a WASR there in that caliper. Give him a call.

i have heard that WASR's have been known to have problems. A Saiga is more what i would be interested in - how much did it cost you?

i may not have been clear - i do not mean literal ak47s. i mean nj legal ak style rifles. i am interested in the possibility of purchasing another one. i currently own a gsg 22lr ak i bought at cheyenne. i am interested in looking for a 7.62x39 ak style rifle. i am wondering what the price tag for those are, and where i would even purchase one in central jersey as i have only seen them in PA gun ranges i go to. i am not ready to spend any amount of money for a new gun tomorrow but i would just figure i would get some research going.

This is what I assumed you meant, but in NJ how you phrase things matters a great deal. Guns are made illegal by what letters they have etched into them. Nuff said.

i have heard that WASR's have been known to have problems. A Saiga is more what i would be interested in - how much did it cost you?

to buy a saiga and configure it to correct configuration would probably cost you between $500 and $1000 depending on how much you spend on the conversion parts.. it will also depend on if you do the labor yourself or if you pay to have the parts installed.. I strongly suggest you at least reach out to Paul at arms and ammo.. he may be able to help you.. or he may not.. but if you give him a call or stop in he can help you better than speculating online.. a properly converted Saiga and a WASR are IMO not even in the same class of gun.. but that is just my opinion.. while they are similar the quality of the Saiga will shine through although the quality comes at a price..

If you want to take a ride, NY gun shows are loaded with compliant "AK" style rifles since they have similar stupid "Assault Weapon" laws to NJ. Just make sure not to buy a preban model (made before Sept 1994) since they are legal in NY and NOT in NJ. The prices are very competitive and there is no NICS fee up there.

The Middletown show is this weekend.

Which is also illegal. If you don't pay for a pics fee, that means your not getting a background check which also means you are not buying from an FFL. You would be breaking the law. No NJ resident can buy a gun from a PA resident face to face, it must go through an FFL and therefore you are paying the nics equivalent in PA which I believe they call PICS.

Just wanted to straighten that up

M

Which is also illegal. If you don't pay for a pics fee, that means your not getting a background check which also means you are not buying from an FFL. You would be breaking the law. No NJ resident can buy a gun from a PA resident face to face, it must go through an FFL and therefore you are paying the nics equivalent in PA which I believe they call PICS.

M

He said NY (although for the sake of this argument, same difference)

M

NY does not charge for NICS, and FYI: NY law REQUIRES all transactions to go through an FFL at gun shows, even private sales, I don't think that is the case if it's not at a show, but since we NJ residents can't buy from non FFL's in NY anyway, it's moot.

And yes, NY is crappy, but if you're looking for compliant semi auto rifles (AR'S, AK's, PTR's, DSA's, etc.) it's a good market place. Your not going to find them in PA.

I never thought of that. NY would be a good place to buy since their laws are more restrictive than NJ. They probably would have more compliant made rifles available.

I am not personally familiar enough with NY law to make a specific statement.. but..

the laws may be more strict.. but they may also just be different..

I would not assume just because a gun is NY compliant it would also be NJ compliant..

just saying..

• Like 1

I am not personally familiar enough with NY law to make a specific statement.. but..

the laws may be more strict.. but they may also just be different..

I would not assume just because a gun is NY compliant it would also be NJ compliant..

just saying..

I'm no expert on NY law, but the parts I have read are very similar to the NJ AG's interpretation of our law under Title 13.

I think this is also similar to the expired federal ban, it seems these know nothing about guns politicians just plagiarized the same text for all the crappy states AW bans.

Also, the FFLs should know if it's legal in NJ if they are going to sell it to you, they are not allowed to sell it to you if it's not legal in your state. Not an absolute fool proof way of keeping yourself out of trouble but a likely good guideline.

Shore Shot has a Saiga hanging on their wall for $500. You could probably negotiate them down some. They also have an Arsenal Saiga Conversion hanging on the wall. I forget the price, but it is nice (i.e. has plastic furniture, cleaning rod, compensator, etc). That is more like $850, if I remember correctly (don't count on it).

not tryn to be a jerk, but why are we still naming threads with "AK-47" in the title. are we looking for trouble. again I am NOT tryn to be a fool, I would just like to know. theres even a thread on here called "building an AK-47" whaaat!

We follow all types of laws to be compliant, but we still say "AK-47"... why? If the author of this thread and other threads with that in the title does not understand thats one thing, but if you read one or two threads, or even the law you should know better. thank you.

not tryn to be a jerk, but why are we still naming threads with "AK-47" in the title. are we looking for trouble. again I am NOT tryn to be a fool, I would just like to know. theres even a thread on here called "building an AK-47" whaaat!

We follow all types of laws to be compliant, but we still say "AK-47"... why? If the author of this thread and other threads with that in the title does not understand thats one thing, but if you read one or two threads, or even the law you should know better. thank you.

I thought about this also. I suppose it is the easiest way to describe what you are talking about, and is just another example at how rediculous NJ laws are. I try to make the effort to say "AK styled rifle", and I notice many folks make the attempt as well, it just doesn't last long.

Technically there is nothing illegal with calling something an AK-47... So long as if the rifle in your possession is not a banned by name with "AK" in the model name, or containing too many evil features. Will it trigger a flag from the State if someone calles their rifle an AK? Maybe, but I suspect not. as so many people use the term AK in describing their NJ legal rifles, its a moot point. I also think that in this political environment, NJ doesn't want to go around trying to prosecute law abiding folks because their gun "looks like it should be illegal". Another recipe for a 2A infringement lawsuit.