SpecialK

Arming My Community

While I hate when anti's use a tragic event to push their agenda I see that the time is right to spread information about protecting oneself. Recently there was a liquor store clerk shot and killed while working his late night shift less than 500 feet from my doorstep. I have decided that I am going to go door to door in the immediate area (to start) offering information about how to apply for a FPID and offering help filling out the forms. This may sound familiar to you as it has been done in NYC by one Hispanic group http:// http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/10/28/bodega-owners-may-soon-be-armed-and-dangerous/ I am seeking any help in preparing a possible flier to hand out to interested people. Nothing fancy just information printed in black on white paper. What information to be included is the important part.

So far I plan on bring the forms necessary to apply for a FPID and the information flier. The flier would have information about where to buy guns, ranges to go to, and resources such as nj2as.com, njgunforums.com, njshoot.com and any other sources that could be found. I will personally offer to help fill out the forms and answer any questions they may have.

Any suggestions and constructive comments on this matter would be appreciated.

• Like 2

While I hate when anti's use a tragic event to push their agenda I see that the time is right to spread information about protecting oneself. Recently there was a liquor store clerk shot and killed while working his late night shift less than 500 feet from my doorstep. I have decided that I am going to go door to door in the immediate area (to start) offering information about how to apply for a FPID and offering help filling out the forms. This may sound familiar to you as it has been done in NYC by one Hispanic group http:// http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/10/28/bodega-owners-may-soon-be-armed-and-dangerous/ I am seeking any help in preparing a possible flier to hand out to interested people. Nothing fancy just information printed in black on white paper. What information to be included is the important part.

So far I plan on bring the forms necessary to apply for a FPID and the information flier. The flier would have information about where to buy guns, ranges to go to, and resources such as nj2as.com, njgunforums.com, njshoot.com and any other sources that could be found. I will personally offer to help fill out the forms and answer any questions they may have.

Any suggestions and constructive comments on this matter would be appreciated.

PM sent

• Like 1

I think it is a great idea, but want you to be safe. The one issue I can predict is the phone call made to local 911 by a extremely sheep like neighbor. Be prepared and be cool.

I think this is a great idea. Through just conversations at local sporting events or neighborhood gatherings I have converted about 5 people this year so far. I think you will have better numbers if you stick with the folks that show some interest. Dont press the ones that dont, their opinions might be set.

• Like 1

I think it is a great idea, but want you to be safe. The one issue I can predict is the phone call made to local 911 by a extremely sheep like neighbor. Be prepared and be cool.

I think this is a great idea. Through just conversations at local sporting events or neighborhood gatherings I have converted about 5 people this year so far. I think you will have better numbers if you stick with the folks that show some interest. Dont press the ones that dont, their opinions might be set.

I plan to dress the part. Probably polo and khakis. I have a high and tight for summer time and will be introducing myself as an Iraq war veteran who lives in the community. I have no interest to force anyone into it, only looking for those that are concerned about their safety and want to do something about it. I hadn't thought about someone calling the cops on me, but seeing as I am doing nothing illegal I am not concerned. Being prepared for the possibility will help me a lot and i'm always cool when talking to the cops :icon_mrgreen:

Thank you for your ideas and support!

I plan to dress the part. Probably polo and khakis. I have a high and tight for summer time and will be introducing myself as an Iraq war veteran who lives in the community. I have no interest to force anyone into it, only looking for those that are concerned about their safety and want to do something about it. I hadn't thought about someone calling the cops on me, but seeing as I am doing nothing illegal I am not concerned. Being prepared for the possibility will help me a lot and i'm always cool when talking to the cops :icon_mrgreen:

Some towns (welcome to NJ) require a permit to go door to door regardless if you are selling something or not. Check with your town FIRST.

I recommend that your flyer start with something like "Exercise your right to protect yourself legally, let us show you how, for free..." You need a big catch phrase that will not turn off the majority of the people. It wouldn't hurt to include the case law that supports that the cops are not responsible for your personal protection. (I know that wording isn't quite correct).

• Like 1

Just remember you will be under a high degree of scutiny and keep everything I mean everything you do even not just firearm related, by the book. Which I'm sure you do already.

And thank you for your service.

Some towns (welcome to NJ) require a permit to go door to door regardless if you are selling something or not. Check with your town FIRST.

I recommend that your flyer start with something like "Exercise your right to protect yourself legally, let us show you how, for free..." You need a big catch phrase that will not turn off the majority of the people. It wouldn't hurt to include the case law that supports that the cops are not responsible for your personal protection. (I know that wording isn't quite correct).

Thanks for the heads up! I checked local ordinances and there is only a law that requires a permit if I am selling or making a profit. I do feel I need to give this a title for the top of the flier. Something like "Community Safety Project"

Thank for the post!

What a great idea! Another cool option to handing out the actual applications is to host them in PDF format on a website. This way you do not have to take on the expense of running off copies or running out.

Slav

I thought about that, but I feel having the forms on hand will make more of an impact. If someone has it already sitting on their coffee table they are more likely to fill it out.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Although I agree with you, there are ways to avoid that. You don't knock on the door and open with "I'm here to help you guys get guns!! Just fill out these forms, give me a call if you have questions." You need to gauge it. Start it off by being friendly, and say something along the lines of "I'm sure you have heard about the unfortunate shooting down the street, I wanted to talk to you about the benefits and drawbacks of security systems, and why having the means to protect your family are important." "What do you mean by that?" "Well security systems may be a deterrent to some burglars, but it will not stop those who are not deterred. If someone means to do you or your family harm, the security system cannot actually 'protect' you, and the police may not get there in time." This should give you at least of an idea of how they will respond to "having the means to protect you and your family."

Thanks for the heads up! I checked local ordinances and there is only a law that requires a permit if I am selling or making a profit. I do feel I need to give this a title for the top of the flier. Something like "Community Safety Project"

Thank for the post!

Why not get a permit from the town anyway? Then you've attempted to comply with the law if they (for some reason) try to throw the book at you. Might also be neat to see if there are any community policing programs in place and see if you can partner with them.

In general, I like the idea - similar to a voter registration drive.

Just an idea... Perhaps along with the info sheet you can also get a local range to offer discounted safety courses for first time shooters. They may also be willing to offer a small percentage off of firearms for those from your community that bring in your flyer with their pistol permit or FID.

Why not get a permit from the town anyway? Then you've attempted to comply with the law if they (for some reason) try to throw the book at you. Might also be neat to see if there are any community policing programs in place and see if you can partner with them.

In general, I like the idea - similar to a voter registration drive.

I am exempt from the permit if I have a vendors license which the state of NJ gives to veterans for free, so perhaps I will file the application for my vendors license.

I am exempt from the permit if I have a vendors license which the state of NJ gives to veterans for free, so perhaps I will file the application for my vendors license.

Excellent! Wouldn't hurt to keep a copy of the statute on your person just in case.

Thank for the post!

If you list stores and places for purchase you might be seen as advertising for them. I would think without places to purchase your project would take on a community awareness feel rather than an advertisement.

Your vendors permit might absolve you from getting a ticket in this regard but the people of the community might twist it into a few gun shops trying to make a buck off of a tragedy.

• Like 1

If you list stores and places for purchase you might be seen as advertising for them. I would think without places to purchase your project would take on a community awareness feel rather than an advertisement.

Your vendors permit might absolve you from getting a ticket in this regard but the people of the community might twist it into a few gun shops trying to make a buck off of a tragedy.

yeah. I was thinking I would only offer help in buying a firearm. I would not list stores. I plan on setting up an e-mail that is just for this and people could e-mail me questions like "Where is the best place to buy a gun?" and I can address the issue of obtaining a firearm then.

What about having some of them come to you, organize a small informal meeting at the library or park.Maybe you can talk to a friendly shopkeeper or two and see if they'll let you keep a stack on the counter with a date/time. And please tread lightly so as not coming across as some kind of vigalante getting a posse together.Its a good thing you're doing but as someone else said watch out for the scared sheep.

I have decided that I am going to go door to door in the immediate area (to start) offering information about how to apply for a FPID and offering help filling out the forms.

What you're doing is commendable and I wish you the best of luck. Just understand that in effect you're advertising to the rest of the neighborhood that there may be guns in your residence. Subsequently that might increase the chances of your home being burglarized while you are gone.

Plan accordingly and be safe.

I concur!

Perhaps, making a picture ID Badge to pin on, making yourself look more official. Wouldn't a mailer reach more people and say what you need to say? Most people would rather avoid face to face encounters.

I actually agree with Ray Ray on this. Also, gunnyr makes sense as well. My initial thought was that it was a fantastic idea, but putting some thought into it raises some concerns about privacy, the fact that you are "advertising" to your neighbors that you have weapons and are willing to use them (not entirely a bad thing) could come back to bite you.. Some may view this as the organization of a militia type group. Some people will shut the door wondering what your agenda is..

Say for instance, you needed to protect yourself in an HD situation. The cops or media come knocking on your neighbors doors and the ones that were opposed to your idea start spitting anti gun venom on how you tried to get everyone to buy a gun and arm themselves, and your the crazy gun Guy on the block, etc... vigilante stereotype. looking for a fight, we knew this would happen, etc.. people suck.

You also run the risk of talking to the "wrong" people, the ones you are trying to protect yourself against, making you a target because you oppose their lifestyle and could be seen as a threat..

Now, obviously I'm not suggesting you put your tail between your legs and run and hide, nor am I suggesting you not try and help your neighbors, but look at the other side of the coin and make sure it doesn't back fire on you for trying to do the right thing.

Disclaimer : none of the negative views posted above are how I would feel if you were my neighbor, just trying to show what could happen. I commend you for looking out for the neighborhood and neighbors. I think for this to be done right, the gun part needs to be a soft sell, perhaps coupled with other self protection ideas.. could you get the help of the victims family?

Good luck and I would welcome you in my neighborhood!