SpecialK

Shooting on private property

I don't live here but this, but anyone near there may wanna look into this.

you need to be a subscriber to the paper to read full article.

Montague township officials, after hearing complaints regarding the recreational use of a handgun in a residential area of Chubby Lane, are mulling whether an ordinance is needed that would restrict how close to a private home a firearm may be discharged.

http://www.njherald.com/story/24089063/2013/11/27/montague-neighbors-hear-gunshots-seek-new-regularions

I understand this is a really old thread, but I think I need a little clarification... A friend has a big chunk of land out in Chattsworth... So as long as the 3 things arent in effect (no discharge zone, lead content too high, or noise level), and I dig a berm to catch the rounds downrange, it would be legal? For handgun/rifle/shotgun?

Check your town ordinances.

Also, NJ statute 2C:39-6 has a very subtle wording you should be aware of.

f.     Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(1)     A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

Versus:

A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(b)     Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

So it would seem as though ONLY if you're a member of a rifle or pistol club, can you go to "a place of target practice" versus "a target range or other authorized place" if you're not a member of a rifle or pistol club. Evan Nappen even says this in his book...

"A place of target practice" could mean anywhere where you can target practice, whereas "a target range or other authorized place" is a specific term. 

The FUNNIEST thing is the people that think they have the advise or law knowledge here are NOT lawyers, Judges OR Police..  NEVER take advice from anyone "just because they spend a lot of time on a firearms site......  Call the STATE POLICE, Or consult a Firearms lawyer... It would be funny to see how fast these people disappear into the darkness as soon as an ISSUE arises..  BUT my friend Kenny says.............. It was OK         Maybe if your lucky he'll visit you with some cigarettes   Im Very Surprised advice on a website is "allowed" by people who think they understand the law.. 

Check your town ordinances.

Also, NJ statute 2C:39-6 has a very subtle wording you should be aware of.

f.     Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(1)     A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

Versus:

A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(b)     Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

So it would seem as though ONLY if you're a member of a rifle or pistol club, can you go to "a place of target practice" versus "a target range or other authorized place" if you're not a member of a rifle or pistol club. Evan Nappen even says this in his book...

"A place of target practice" could mean anywhere where you can target practice, whereas "a target range or other authorized place" is a specific term. 

One can not twist the interpretation of this exemption into only just what you have stipulated, since to fully interpret this entire meaning in its' own context would require that a Board of Trustees or some other body in control of the club submits a list of names annually to the Supt. of the State Police.  The correct interpretation provides members of a registered club (who 's names are annually submitted) the ability to stop with long guns securely stored, INSTEAD of having to go DIRECTLY to and from.  In addition, there's a part of this statute that you left out which allows otherwise illegal temporary transfers at club ranges for up to 8 hours for the purpose of target shooting, competitions, etc.  If you're just two or three jamokes (that don't belong to a club that submits a list of its' members) going out into the woods with hand guns and swapping and taking turns with each other's guns, technically that could be considered an illegal transfer, and Nappen covers this in his book.  In addition, the convoluted NJ hand gun laws still state a "direct to and from" with only "necessary" deviations.  I'm a diabetic and take meds for it, so if I have to stop it's necessary in my book, but I might still have to tell it to the Judge (in 44 years of shooting this hasn't happened and it's extremely unlikely to happen).

Bottom line, it's good to be a member of an organized club that submits a list of names of its' members, as it entitles you to greater common-sense considerations, such as loaning or receiving a gun (even a hand gun) on match day because your's broke or is the wrong model and/or wrong caliber for the match, etc. 

Hope this helps.

Dave

Sorry Dave but it says nothing about long guns. It's all firearms. If you can find the part about long guns, please point it out to me.

I got this from Evan's book. I believe it's under the chapter about transport. Read it and you will understand.

Sorry Dave but it says nothing about long guns. It's all firearms. If you can find the part about long guns, please point it out to me.

I got this from Evan's book. I believe it's under the chapter about transport. Read it and you will understand.

We're BOTH right, lol!  Keep in mind that you don't even need a NJFID to transport guns or buy shells for long guns.  So folks who don't have a NJFID, who's names are submitted to the State Police, are permitted the additional luxury of NOT having to go DIRECTLY to and from...  This covers a shooter who moved into Jersey who already has a collection and uses it...

The part I said about pistols applies universally (the famous DIRECTLY to and from issue) whether or not the names of a clubs' membership are submitted or not...

Keep in mind that your NJFID is your "get outta Jail card", and allows you to transport an unloaded long gun all over the place, with such exceptions as Schools and Military Installations.

NJ gun law is convoluted, and you have to read more than a few pages of Nappen's book at once in order to apply the correct amount/type of laws.  Separate laws exist for the purpose of driving you batshit crazy, especially when ownership, storage, use, and transportation all have to be considered in the equation.

So the short answer is:  We're BOTH right!