Is it legal to fedex a gun to a friend in another state whom you are going to visit...fly there , and then fedex the gun home to yourself??This would be easier than checking it at the airport and flying it in checked luggage

No. On the other hand, you can FedEx it to an office at your destination and pick it up yourself, then do the same on the way home. Of course, the ultimate legality of this depends on whether you live and are visiting a retarded state like New Jersey, California, etc.

• Like 1

No. On the other hand, you can FedEx it to an office at your destination and pick it up yourself, then do the same on the way home. Of course, the ultimate legality of this depends on whether you live and are visiting a retarded state like New Jersey, California, etc.

There's a difference between residential versus commercial? Even if neither has an FFL license?

There's a difference between residential versus commercial? Even if neither has an FFL license?

For example, If you were traveling to Phoenix, you could have your gun shipped overnight to the FedEx Phoenix office. You would arrive at the offfice after your flight and pick it up yourself (after producing identification). No transfer has occurred. In order for anyone else to receive it, they must be an FFL.

No transfer has occurred. In order for anyone else to receive it, they must be an FFL.

Under Federal law you can ship it to yourself in another state and as long as no one opens the package its okay. I can see your point about having to ship it to the FEDEX office for pickup in NJ as NJ might look at that as a transfer even if the person accepting the package doesn't open it. Look up FAQ on ATFs website.

The problem may be getting FEDEX to accept the package addressed to yourself. You are required to tell the common carrier IIRC that it is a firearm. Anytime I've done so they said it was company policy to accept a gun for shipment to anyone other than a FFL or a manufacturer. I was always doing that so there was no problem.

All, you can indeed Fedex or UPS a gun to YOURSELF care of another person, which would include a friend or even a hotel:

FAQ B9:

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

• Like 1

For what its worth, I tried UPSing a rifle to myself at a hub but of course the guy the behind the counter said they could only ship it to a dealer or manufacturer even though I told him about the ATF law. I called customer service afterwards to and they said no, despite their website saying

UPS accepts packages containing firearms........from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law, and when such shipment complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package

unless im reading it wrong :blink:

How is it easier than checking it with your luggage and flying with it?

worried about a canceled flight and the gun ending up not where I am...a guy was arrested at Newark at customs cause he was rerouted thru Canada and entered US with a gun illegally...and the airlines screwup much mire often than fedex.. and often I fly with carryon so having to check a bagthat makes it more of a hassle( im a bit lazy)