deviated rationality

For those of you who have medical conditions

I was recently wondering how many of you with medical conditions that require medication to live have actually planned or prepared for a SHTF situation. If so, how have you done so? I know this is especially important for those of you that have heart issues, asthma, and diabetes.

I wondered about this myself. It comes down to survival of the fittest in this situations unfortunately. I know the pharmacies & grocery stores would be the best to be taken as a strong hold first. By taking them over you would have a source of trade but also make you a big target during these times

I'm a mild asthmatic, I have extra medications stockplied and continue to do so but in a post apolycptic world a bad asthma attack could easilly kill me. I have extra inhalers, steroids and nebulizers. I also have access to oxygen tanks so I cantake a nebulizer if the power is out. I do not have a lifetimes supply of extra meds availabe so much of my supply runs will also include medication and related supplies.

• Like 1

I have type 2 diabetes. Although I take insulin to help with my blood sugar I do not need it like a type 1. So just a 30 day supply for me. My Metformin I have a 120 day supply.

Taking over a pharmacy and or grocery store is not a plan for a SHTF event. You will not be the only one armed and ready for a fight. Moving around may be dangerous. The owner of the store may be armed as well. I think that the best way is to stockpile the things you may need and defend them.

I'm a mild asthmatic, I have extra medications stockplied and continue to do so but in a post apolycptic world a bad asthma attack could easilly kill me. I have extra inhalers, steroids and nebulizers. I also have access to oxygen tanks so I cantake a nebulizer if the power is out. I do not have a lifetimes supply of extra meds availabe so much of my supply runs will also include medication and related supplies.

I guess I can get some Prednisone and albuterol but I'm pretty much screwed.

The books with the recipies on how to make your own insulin out of sheeps blood would be the real "ITEM" to protect. He who holds the knowledge..... Hide those SHTF books and guard them well.

I would wonder if the body would just adjust. 100 years ago, there were no purple pills for stress, or boner pills. I would imagine if we cut down all the crap, ie Smoking, Baconators, etc... the body would start healing.

• Like 1

I would wonder if the body would just adjust. 100 years ago, there were no purple pills for stress, or boner pills. I would imagine if we cut down all the crap, ie Smoking, Baconators, etc... the body would start healing.

What was the average life expectancy 100 years ago, about 50 for a male and 54 for a female? Im 45, I want more than 5 more years.

Harry

Some drugs do last longer while losing potency but some actually get to be harmful. If you have an interest in this subject you should read One second after, it is a decent long term survival in after a massive collapse yarn, and addresses some issues other such books don't and it makes you think a bit harder about how far you are willing to go.

• Like 1

As an FYI, there are also antibiotics suitable for human use that can be purchased right in a pet store (if you know what to look for). This is just something to keep in mind if things degenerate to zombie apocalypse status.

But your best bet is to get healthy and stay healthy as Maks suggests. Ferfal says the same thing on his blog.

only the strong survive, sorry but it's true

And holding off a supermarket would be next to impossible. Not only are they too big, have lots of windows, but it's the first place "common folk" will go to if they need food. Stay home, stockpile, and wait till everyone else kills each other off.

• Like 2

Id make a quick raid to a pharmacy for antibiotics and that's about it. I have no other medical conditions.

It's a little too far but I would raid the plaza in Brick that has a Costco (pharmacy) and a Dicks (for ammo). I would then stockpile that stuff at a safer location and then wait for others to wipe each other out before moving around.

Leaving aside the moral implications of not preparing ahead of time and raiding later, you live in New Jersey. You will be lucky if you can make it within 2 miles of a Costco or Shop Rite if it comes to such and event. Of course, if you are willing to abandon any moral stand, you could rob those leaving the stores. I'd suggest preparing ahead of time if you really think the scenario's leading to such events are likely.

Leaving aside the moral implications of not preparing ahead of time and raiding later, you live in New Jersey. You will be lucky if you can make it within 2 miles of a Costco or Shop Rite if it comes to such and event. Of course, if you are willing to abandon any moral stand, you could rob those leaving the stores. I'd suggest preparing ahead of time if you really think the scenario's leading to such events are likely.

I'm just thinking you would have to hit those places ASAP and then stay away from them. To be honest It would prob be easier to just drive a car thru the wall of a local pharmacy (3 blocks from my house) grab some stuff and roll out. I would just grab antibiotics personally unless I am with someone who has a need for meds.

As for morality that kinda goes out the window in a really bad SHTF scenario.

If the **** hits the fan temporarily, id est Katrina, you are going to be prosecuted for driving your car through the wall of a pharmacy.

If the SHTF permanently, it won't happen over night. By the time you realize you need to rob for drugs or food, the government will have confiscated all of it. You won't have to blast your way into a drug store until you have you car searched at three checkpoints between here and there.

The "I have a gun, I'll get what I need" plan for SHTF will not work out in any conceivable scenario.

And when the S settles down and it is just fertilizer for the back yard garden, you are ok looking into the mirror knowing that you could have prepared and not taken someone else property?

Let even leave that aside, and lets say that you put your family ahead because they are your primary responsibility. If you have to drive through a stores window you already failed them by not being prepared. If something happens to you as you drive through that window (or as the owners shoots you, or as the thug down the street thanks you for doing the hard work and shoots you) you have failed them again buy leaving them with one less defender, one less pair of eyes to keep lookout, one less pair of hands to keep the home standing or forage.

Is it not easier, safer, and more moral to prepare ahead of time?

If your primary survival plan is looting, your are not that far from putting a colander on your face and scream "Who rules Barter Town?"

• Like 2

Drugs do have shelf lives.

They do, but mainly so you don't stock pile them. The main reason those are on there is because many people do not take all of the meds prescribed for them, and that is their way of "encouraging" people to take them all. Also, most meds have been known to be effective for 7-10 years and still be effective. Some exclusions to that are in the cillin, like Im pretty sure amoxicillin is bad right around their expiration date. I have to look all of that back up. Everything else (outside of the cillins)

Yes they do, but The drugs stay good long after their US expiration date. If stored correctly the drugs can last a very long time.

There was a study done a while back, bout 5 or 6 years ago. Basically when we went to war in Iraq the first time (1991) we were stationing most of our supplies and forward medical facilities in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. We did the job and left a lot of gear there for whatever reason (we were stationed there for a good long while after the war) and a lot of the connex boxes were left, and never opened up until we went back into Iraq. They opened up a few of them and found a TON of meds that were left in one or two boxes. It was estimated those boxes got up to 160 degree (in the desert sun) at some points. They decided to send back sample of all the meds and found that something like 80% of them were still usable.

Finding this information is a bit hard, as the Army owns it and refuses to let most of it go. However, it has popped up occasionally. As soon as I can find the sources I will post them up.

Some drugs do last longer while losing potency but some actually get to be harmful. If you have an interest in this subject you should read One second after, it is a decent long term survival in after a massive collapse yarn, and addresses some issues other such books don't and it makes you think a bit harder about how far you are willing to go.

This book was one of the most amazing books I have ever read. Scariest book too, within the first 30 pages or so; and that's just because I have some previous knowledge/training on what to do and what would happen should everything come to a grinding halt.

There aren't to many meds out there that can do harm after too long, as far as I know only the cillins (like I stated earlier) but I wouldn't take my word for it.

I'm just thinking you would have to hit those places ASAP and then stay away from them. To be honest It would prob be easier to just drive a car thru the wall of a local pharmacy (3 blocks from my house) grab some stuff and roll out. I would just grab antibiotics personally unless I am with someone who has a need for meds.

Also, unless you're lucky you would die trying to get through the wall of any modern building like that. you could try the front where the windows are, but even then most places would have metal gates that come down and you would still wind up killing yourself or injuring yourself to badly for it to be worth it.

Not to mention that you would be seriously damaging the vehicle that might be used to get you out of a hot zone a **** ton faster tan walking or carrying someone.

I ask this question a lot, and most everyone who doesn't have a clue says they would go to one of 5 places:

1. Gun store
  2. Grocery Store
  3. Police station
  4. National Guard armory
  5. Pharmacy/hospital

Almost everyone comes up with the same answers. That tells me a lot of people will die very quickly, and everyone will be going to the same locations. Me, I'll sit here and wait till everyone leaves, then do my own thing.