Scottcba1

A good age for kids to start shooting?

Over the Easter weekend I was showing my Dad pics of my MP 15-22 rifle when my Nephew walked up and said he would like to go shooting. He is 13 and a well rounded kid with his head on his shoulders. I told him I have no problem taking him to the range and explaining safe handling/firing of a gun as long as both his parents say its ok. Im waiting to see if his parents approve of this trip.

When do you think is a good time for kids to learn how to shoot? Im aware it will differ from kid to kid depending on their maturity level but whats a rough age?

-Scott

When do you think is a good time for kids to learn how to shoot? Im aware it will differ from kid to kid depending on their maturity level but whats a rough age?

-Scott

It all depends on the kid.

A kid that grew up around guns will be ready much sooner than a kid who's never seen one in person. There are some adults who aren't mature enough to have them.

• Like 3

Depends on the child:

Does the child know the rules of gun safety? If yes you need to help apply the rules.

Does the child have a long enough attention span to listen and obey?

Does the child have communication skills enough to listen and ask questions?

Is the child frightened of loud noises? Children don't have the damage to their ears that adults do so they hear detter and more acutely then adults. With that in mind, do you have proper fitting hearing protection for the child? Plugs and muffs may be needed if a child is frightened by noise, even some airguns can be intimidating to some little ones.

Do you have a range where you can be alone with the child so they aren't distracted by others. It sucks to have a kid at the range shooting a 22 and to have someone show up with a 30-06 and scare the crap out of the kid. Not to say the guy with the 30-06 doesn't have a right to be there but if you can find a place and time where there will be minimal distractions the session will go better.

I suggest long guns to start teaching a child, handguns are too easy to swing the wrong direction, with a long gun you can fairly easily grab the stock and re direct the muzzle.

I have taught kids who were 6 and had no gun experience to shoot. I have also had difficulties teaching 11 year olds who think they know it all. Get them learning before they think they know it all. Use targets like paper plates or large spinners so the child can see results and not have to focus on a 10 ring. This yealds better results and increases interest.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

PM me if you need any other assistance.

Ron

I started taking my son shooting at 5.

Nearly all Cub Scouts start shooting BB guns at 5-6 years old in first grade, if they attend camp. If they follow the rules and appear safe, they can start shooting 22's with close supervision. My son was shooting my Savage bolt 22 around 6-7 years old, having a great time. At 11 he is nearly expert with all my 22's, iron sights and optics, although he prefers iron sights.

He's tried bigger guns, but doesn't enjoy them so we stick with 22's. At this point we can sit on adjacent benches and he'll shoot 22's and I'll shoot whatever on the bench next to him. I keep an eye on him, but he really could be alone.

So, start early, monitor safety, and you'll be great.

The one good thing about starting at Cub Scouts is that you have some experienced range officer (not you) keeping an eye on the kids, possibly telling them to stop doing them unsafe in a gruff manner, and it sticks with the boys.

My two daughters 9&12 go to the range with me. They like to shoot their Ruger 10/22, S&W MP9 and Browning Buckmark. The only rule they have to follow is they are not to touch any guns until is their turn (Besides following the NRA safety rules).

They really enjoy themselves.

AS soon as they can pull the trigger.

All kidding aside 13 is fine IMO.

Last time Mike G took me to OB, I saw a guy teaching what looked to be his daughter who couldnt have been much more then 8 or 10 how to shoot an ar15 from prone.

I thought that was awesome!

My daughter started a little over a week ago and she is 11, I have had her read all the safety rules, went from cover to cover with the NRA first step pistol book, and went over everything with her for quite a while before she ever went with me. Went over all the rules at the outdoor and indoor range with her and watch her like a hawk and point out anything so she doesn't learn bad habits. She loves it, she likes to shoot her Marlin 795, My Walther P22 and even let her shoot my Glock 19 with 1 round in it at a time and she did well, she prefers the 22LR over the 9mm, but she is not afraid to shoot any gun. Didn't let her shoot my 336A 30-30 because we didn't have it with us, but I would let her with some help from me fire a shot if she wanted just to get a feel for it. She also shot my lever action Marlin 39a but it's a tad too heavy for her compared to the 795.

She does well, and pays attention to everything going on around her as well as everything she is doing, and to boot she doesn't mind cleaning the guns when we get home and can field strip all of them, a little trouble with the P22 with the take down tabs that are a little tight, but other than that, she can break them all down the right way.

All depends on the child as far as age as others have said, but I think every child should at least learn how to properly handle, respect and not be afraid of firearms in general, if they like shooting, great, our next generation is borne, but if they don't at least they will learn that guns don't kill people.

Harry

Trout and I started shooting when were some where around the 5-6 year old range... As some one posted earlier it really depends on the child.. Some have the mindset to be able to wrap their head around what you are teaching them. I think that as long as you go into it with an open mind, realizing that it will be a learning experience for you as well as them you will be fine... Don't forget to make the first experience pleasurable for the child and that will foster the desire to do it again. small interactive targets such as plastic water bottles and the like work great for that. The 22 is the perfect gun to start a child with, as they can shoot a lot of rounds with little felt recoil. Good luck and enjoy...

My older nephew is almost 15 and has already bagged three bucks in the last year and a half. It all has to do with maturity and the kids ability to pay attention, follow instructions, and obey safety rules. His younger brother is 13, and has already shot himself in the foot with a .22 for not following instructions...

Thanks for all the info guys! Well we made the trip to SS today and we picked the right time! I knew it was gunna be a good day from the get go. My Nephew ran up to the car before I could even get out cuz he was so excided to go! The awesome crew at SS took care of him right from the minute we walked in the door and we were in the range going over safety steps once more before even taking the guns out of there cases.

He really enjoyed himself. He loves the M&P 15-22! Went back to that gun the most. I will give him credit he tried everything I brought with us even if it was only one shot like the 12ga with 00Buck shot. He didnt want to try the slug after that! :sarcastichand:

He thought the Glock G22 had too much kick and only shot it three times. He was doing well with my Ruger SR9 till he adjusted his grip when I was grabing more ammo and the slide "bite" him. That was my fault for not telling him to wait while to took my eyes off him to grab the ammo to reload the next magazine. Wasnt a fan after that.

But the day went on and by the end he was shooting the M&P 15-22 out at the 20yrd mark and hitting the 8" targets with every shot! He took his first spent case from each weapon as souveniors(sp?) and even kept his target that had the best grouping. I was impressed & proud!

-Scott

It all depends on the individual child, but at whatever age you start them, be sure to keep it fun and interesting for them.

A piece in njShoot here.

Kudos on introducing a new kid to the sport! I can't remember how young I was when I first started, all I remember is my dad held the rifle up for me and I handled aiming and pulling the trigger. Probably around 5-6yrs old.

I exposed my daughter to them once she was old enough to start being curious, as long as there wasnt any kind of time constraint I allowed her to see, touch and hold any of my guns when she asked, but she was also taught that she was NOT to tough anything without asking, especially anything she found OUTSIDE of our home, with occasional integrity checks with a couple of airsoft pistols, which she passed every time, going to get my Wofe or myself, and not handling them. I started working on the basic 4 rules when she was 6, and once she was old enough to remember them, and recite them, she went to the range..end of her 2nd grade school year shooing "Her" pink AR (.22 kit). As posted before it all depends on the individual Child, and parent.