siderman

What size spotting scope

I'm glad to see this thread, as I'm currently in research mode for a similar purchase with similar performance needs.

To tack on some additional questions to what OP originally asked, can anyone offer some experience or insight in regards to how one navigates the relatively subjective characteristic of glass quality?

I keep hearing how important the quality of the glass can be to the scopes usefullness, regardless of objective size or magnification, which sort of makes the whole thing a bit harder to figure out because that's not exactly an easily quantifiable metric.

One other thing I'm not 100% on what the minimum costs are going to be for scopes capable of certain uses or exhibiting certain characteristics. Examples:

-How much do I need spend to get a scope that can see .223 holes in regular paper at 300 yards?

-How much money is there to be saved if one can settle for a scope that can simply see the mark on a shoot-N-C at 300 yards?

-How much more demanding is it to want a scope that a partner can use to check shot placement and guide you in at 300 yards?

-How about being able to spot the holes in challenging or overcast weather conditions? Is a scope that can do this going to be significantly more?

Lastely, at what point do you need to give up on inexpensive and/or automatically included tripods and get something superior? What will a good tripod or alternate style of base generally cost?

I've seen the barska 20-60x60 mentioned several times aroumd here so I just stole one off epay. I did notice a signifigant price jump to the x80 lens. Hey, its a starter scope and supposed to be a decent, not great, one.

I have a cheap barska 20-60x80. You can definitely see .223 out to 100 pretty easily.

THe konus 20-60x100 with angled eyepiece is one of the best deals out there in a scope IMO though.