ALTA

How is this for a basic / starter collection?

I figure it will be some time before I inherit some of the firearms that have been passed down through the family, so I am going to go ahead and start my own collection of "staples". I would like to keep the costs pretty reasonable for now, but do want quality pieces that I wont spend too much on upgrades in the future. Also interested in teaching my wife to shoot at our local range.

starter.png

Not sure how I feel on the Rem. 700, as I would eventually like to own a scout spec. rifle... any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

looks good. I have a 700 in 308 that I put in a Choate varmenter stock and added a biod. I can shoot 3-4 inch groups at 300 yards with that rifle. I have 2 Ruger 10/22's, they are great guns and highly customizable with basic tools. Both of my 110/22's were factory guns that were torn down and rebuilt by me. Mossbergs are great guns.

I like the look, feel and aftermarket accessories for the Buckmark but have no first hand experience with them.....yet.

Personally, I would start with a lower end 10/22, those bull barrels and the bipod in the front can get heavy if you're not shooting prone or from a bench - it would save you about $200 to start with.

I can't speak for the remington 700

I would also consider this mossberg http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/336/products_id/46907 with the two barrels as it's going to be more versatile for your needs.

Personally, I would start with a lower end 10/22, those bull barrels and the bipod in the front can get heavy if you're not shooting prone or from a bench - it would save you about $200 to start with.

I can't speak for the remington 700

I would also consider this mossberg http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/336/products_id/46907 with the two barrels as it's going to be more versatile for your needs.

Good thoughts, thanks. I believe the 10/22 bi-pod is detachable, does it still get front heavy w/ the barrel alone? This is something to consider, as my wife will be learning to shoot on it. Perhaps I will consider the carbine variant.

The carbine variant has a tapered barrel - it tapers quite a bit - the bull barrel is the same diameter at the receiver all the way out to the muzzle - usually around .9 something, almost an inch diameter. The cool thing about the 10/22 is it's the chevy 350 of the gun world, everyone makes aftermarket parts for it. Check out Tactical Solutions, Volquartsen, Power Custom, etc, and our friends at www.rimfirecentral.com

I suggested the 2 barrel mossberg because the 18" barrel is nice for home defense and the (I think 28") long barrel is good for shooting clays or upland bird hunting or waterfowling or informal clays. Then at least you've got a multipurpose gun.

I would go to a Remington 700 in either 30-06 or .308 or if you want to be cool, 7mm-08 is a wonderful round to shoot I love mine.

I also agree that either buying a base model 10/22 or a bolt version of a .22 would be the better buy. Bolt action .22's are wonderful especially the single shot ones, really makes you learn to take your time whereas with the 10/22 I always find myself just blowing through the mag.

Shotgun I won't comment, I'm a Remington guy through and through so either or is fine.

Buckmarks are nice, you can also look at a ruger mark III 22/45. After you get past the disassembly reassembly process the gun is a wonderful tack driver.

M

I would go to a Remington 700 in either 30-06 or .308 or if you want to be cool, 7mm-08 is a wonderful round to shoot I love mine.

I also agree that either buying a base model 10/22 or a bolt version of a .22 would be the better buy. Bolt action .22's are wonderful especially the single shot ones, really makes you learn to take your time whereas with the 10/22 I always find myself just blowing through the mag.

Shotgun I won't comment, I'm a Remington guy through and through so either or is fine.

Buckmarks are nice, you can also look at a ruger mark III 22/45. After you get past the disassembly reassembly process the gun is a wonderful tack driver.

M

RE: Bolt version, my old man has a Remington model 33 bolt action .22. It is the gun that I learned to shoot on, and absolutely love. I will be inheriting that one day, so wanted to go ahead and get something that is a bit different. Figuring that the 10/22 is so highly regarded, it would be fun to go in that direction. I think you guys have won me over on the SG, there is an area for shooting clays not too far from me, so the different barrels would be nice.

Looks like a good selection. I have a Remington 700 in .308 BDL-DM I picked up from Cabellas that I love. I agree with the previous posts on the lighter 10/22 barrel being a better option. Regarding the pistol, I prefer the Ruger Mk series over the Browning, but that's just my personal preference; you should handle both before making a choice. If you plan to shoot sporting clays, you might want to consider a semi over a pump.

Have fun!

just shot my father in laws new Ruger 10/22 Target w/bull barrel, bipod, scope and laminated stock yesterday and it will shoot exactly where you point it with Remington bulk pack. It is very heavy but amazing to shoot. I have a Browning Buckmark and it is a fantastic gun, reliable and super accurate. The Buckmark is a great gun to teach semiauto pistol operations to newbies with. Just don't take it completely down too often, you need the supplied allen wrench to do it. I like the collection but would add a full size semiauto 9mm.

I also think you should go to the basic 10/22 and get tech sights for it (peeps) for the ultimate marksmanship tool.

Also, consider a 308 700. It is a much more versitile round and out of a heavy rifle, it is not unpleasent to shoot.

I have both a remington SPS varmint in 308 and a 10/22 with tech sights, you are welcome to try them in bridgewater sometime

Guest schutzen-jager

more of an accumulation than a collection -

As already said, definetly some quality firearms you have there. Regardless of what caliber you go with for the Remington 700, you'll need to put some additional funds into a solid optic and the rings to mount it before you can really have fun with it, so factor that into your budget and the order you buy them in.

I had that same 10/22 and it was my first purchase. Never should've sold it. She would be a great first rifle for you and your family to enjoy. After that it's how you feel on what is important.