bmanrkg3

Which AR barrel configuration?

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which configuration?

• 5.56 20" 1:7 Chrome lined.
    • 5.56 20" 1:9 Chrome lined.
    • 5.56 20" 1:9 NOT Chrome lined.

I've decided to go with Sabre defense for the barrel of my next upper, I'm just not familiar with which setup would be ideal for my use (Target, HD, SHTF) basically a tack driver of a service barrel.

If you have any other input for a brand I should consider, please chime in. (As well as what I've already asked)

Non chromed barrels are more accurate, The Chrome lined barrels were developed to eliiminate the need for more frequent cleaning under adverse conditions. Depending on your useage, you can have better results with a non chomed barrel provided you properly maintain your barrel. With current ammo available a 1:9 barrel should shoot 50-68 grain bullets with accuracy.

• Like 1

To just add, without the stated mission of the firearm, it's hard for me to vote in the poll. The twist rate depends on what grain bullet you intend to shoot. The common cheap .223/5.56 ammo is 55 grain so 1:9 is fine.

To get the Chrome lined barrel or not also depends on the mission. The difference in accuracy between the two is very small so for barrel life and cleaning, I'd have to go with Chrome lined. A sub-moa shooter would probably get a 1:7 twist, non chromed barrel.

A guy that just wants a good all around pretty accurate rifle would get a 1:9 or 1:7 chrome lined barrel as shooting 55gr, it doesn't make any difference.

I have two ARs. One is a Stag arms flattop carbine. The other a self-assembled lower and I put a 20" 1/9 twist A2 upper on it. Since you are asking about 20" barrels. I had a terrible time finding a govt profile NJ legal A2 upper. Everything seems to be an HBAR and that is what I ultimately ended up with. I really don't like the added weight (but gotta say, it is super accurate!). I guess all that being said, for your uses, maybe consider a carbine? HD and "SHTF" use the longer and heavier rifle may be a detriment. And my Stag Carbine is quite accurate as well so it might be your best bet.

I don't know... just talking out loud, I guess.

Anyone going to comment on the fact that Sabre was just raided by the feds and is the subject of ongoing litigation??

They manufacture barrels for the us military. The Feds raid places regularly... H&k was raided late last year...

From my intertube research. A 1:7 barrel with 62-77gr bullets are the best marriage for accuracy and consistency. You may have trouble with some 55gr's in a 1:7 so consider that before you make a decision. Seems 1:9 is best for the 55gr's, and 1:8 is an in-between jack of all trades that should be good for 55 and heavier, but the 1:7 will be better with 62gr and up.

Personally I go with 1:7 or 1:8, and I only use 62gr or heavier bullets. Lots of people say you can get away with 55gr bullets out of a 1:7 if they are FMJs.

Again, this is all interweb research that I have done over time. Could be wrong , right, or somewhere in-between.

From my intertube research. A 1:7 barrel with 62-77gr bullets are the best marriage for accuracy and consistency. You may have trouble with some 55gr's in a 1:7 so consider that before you make a decision. Seems 1:9 is best for the 55gr's, and 1:8 is an in-between jack of all trades that should be good for 55 and heavier, but the 1:7 will be better with 62gr and up.

Personally I go with 1:7 or 1:8, and I only use 62gr or heavier bullets. Lots of people say you can get away with 55gr bullets out of a 1:7 if they are FMJs.

Again, this is all interweb research that I have done over time. Could be wrong , right, or somewhere in-between.

I'm shooting cheap bulk 55gr JSP rounds out of a 16" 1:7 twist chrome lined barrel without a problem. I'm getting a bit over 1 MOA vertically and about 1.5 MOA horizontally with it. The limiting factor being my 3 MOA dot and aiming at a target with a 2 MOA bullseye as well s getting a consistent charge of varget compressed consistently. Barrels like what they like and don't like what they don't like, but in general, 1:7 is fine with 55gr ammo. Under that, and you may have issues.

My dream barrel is an 18" medium contour, but 0.75" from the gas block forward with a rifle legnth gas system, MP and HP tested and chrome lined with a 1:8 twist. Nobody appears to make it.

My dream barrel is an 18" medium contour, but 0.75" from the gas block forward with a rifle legnth gas system, MP and HP tested and chrome lined with a 1:8 twist. Nobody appears to make it.

Like this --> Black Hole Weaponry , not chrome lined though cause its SS.

I'm shooting cheap bulk 55gr JSP rounds out of a 16" 1:7 twist chrome lined barrel without a problem. I'm getting a bit over 1 MOA vertically and about 1.5 MOA horizontally with it. The limiting factor being my 3 MOA dot and aiming at a target with a 2 MOA bullseye as well s getting a consistent charge of varget compressed consistently. Barrels like what they like and don't like what they don't like, but in general, 1:7 is fine with 55gr ammo. Under that, and you may have issues.

Thats great to hear. As I said I'm only going on interweb research. I'll add a +1 to the notch that says 55gr is find out of a 1:7. I've also read instances where people have reported 55 gr bullets "coming apart" from over-spin before they get to their target. I'm sure it really depends on a lot of things, such as that barrel and ammo's individual characteristics.

They manufacture barrels for the us military. The Feds raid places regularly... H&k was raided late last year...

Other links on this page as well.

The intertubes were alive with chatter when this went down. The owner was arrested, company filed BK, was bought out, etc. I'd be careful about buying one of their weapons.

Like this --> Black Hole Weaponry , not chrome lined though cause its SS.

That's also not a medium controur. It's looks like a chubby midweight or strangely cut HBAR variant.

closest I ahve found is this

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=b-18i-556&cat=158&page=1&search=&since=&status=

Well ****... I just want a decent barrel in one of those configs... the majority of what i shoot is 55gr (winchester) and I stated the use for it in the first post "ideal for my use (Target, HD, SHTF)"

Easy, if you are shooting mostly 55gr 1:9 would be the choice. If you plan on going for more precision shooting with heavier bullets, like 68gr and still want to be able to shoot lots of 55gr even 62gr , a 1:8 twist would serve you better, though I don't see a 1:8 choice listed.

Also, barrel length strictly dictates velocity. What range are you looking for the rifle to be effective at , both for target shooting and SHTF? A 20" tube is pretty long for a multi-purpose rifle IMO. The only purpose for barrel length is to push the bullet at a higher velocity during its flight trajectory. The maximum effective range you plan for the gun should determine barrel length. Example, a 14.5" barrel should be just as accurate as a 20" barrel at 300 yards. Push that to 600 yards, and the 20" should have an advantage as the projectile will have more velocity behind it making it less prone to wind deflection.

Easy, if you are shooting mostly 55gr 1:9 would be the choice. If you plan on going for more precision shooting with heavier bullets, like 68gr and still want to be able to shoot lots of 55gr even 62gr , a 1:8 twist would serve you better, though I don't see a 1:8 choice listed.

Also, barrel length strictly dictates velocity. What range are you looking for the rifle to be effective at , both for target shooting and SHTF? A 20" tube is pretty long for a multi-purpose rifle IMO. The only purpose for barrel length is to push the bullet at a higher velocity during its flight trajectory. The maximum effective range you plan for the gun should determine barrel length. Example, a 14.5" barrel should be just as accurate as a 20" barrel at 300 yards. Push that to 600 yards, and the 20" should have an advantage as the projectile will have more velocity behind it making it less prone to wind deflection.

Agreed. Multi purpose, 55gr, HD/SHTF/Target up to 300 = 14.5", 1:9 Chromed.

Bravo Company

Lewis Machine and Tool

Danielle Defense

Also, I'm not entirely certain the 1:7 or 1:8 ratio should be categorized as a sub-optimal fit for 55gr bullets. I'm not aware of much hard evidence of 1:7 being less accurate than 1:9s when shooting 55gr bullets. The few anecdotal range reports I've seen on other forums largetly showed quality 1:7 barrels as being capable of shooting 55gr factory loaded ammunition accurately.

It's worth mentioning that most common 55gr factor ammo is not inherrently MOA capable to start with. Given that, I'm not sure that even a casual plinker is going to seem much benefit from trying to optimize for the common budget ammo at the cost of the potential to experiment with 75gr bullets on occasion.

Reports of lighter bullets spinning themselves apart in faster twists are generally specific to specialized varmint bullets significantly lighter than 55gr [in addition to often being discussed only on a theoretically basis]

Ironically, a barrel that I'm very interested in, is the Sabre Defense 18" CMV steel chrome lined midlength gas system w/ flutes both fore and aft of the gas block w/ 1/7 twist. Since Sabre's demise, I haven't found this barrel anywhere. I've come across a few users of this barrel on the 'net, and all had great things to say about it's accuracy. The only niggle w/ that barrel is the midlength gas system, vs an intermediate or rifle length system. From what I've researched, it was one of the better accuracy offerings using CMV steel vs. SS.

As to the OP's barrel quest, CMMG may have what you're looking for. I know they make/made an 18" CMV steel, chrome lined, rifle length gas system, 1/7 twist in a medium weight contour (it might have been an HB contour...it's been a while).

BTW, I voted 20" 1/7 chrome lined. I think this gives the most versatility in ammo weights, w/ negligable accuracy loss combined w/ the corrosion resistance of CL.