StephanieSeven

IDPA @ Somerset, Sunday 5/15/11

End of the day its coke and pepsi. Some people have a definite preference for one over the other. Others can barely tell them apart.

Nice take on it and well put. At this point I really like IDPA, but not sure if that is because of the format or the club. I think more the latter. SCFGPA puts on a nice shoot for very little money. Smaller scale, which helps those of us that are vertically challenged (I'm not overweight, I'm undertall), and on a tighter budget. Lots to remember, but I had fewer brain farts this time (although I still managed to self-destruct). I enjoy USPSA also, but OB, for me is just too hardcore - too many stages, too many people, just kind of takes the fun out of it. CJRPC is somewhere in the middle. 5 stages I can do and I enjoy it, although the enjoyment diminishes as the day grows longer.

I've never kidded myself that either of these disciplines are anything but games. But, anything that has you shooting, moving, reloading, shooting over, around and through things certainly is better preparation for the real world than standing at the firing line and shooting static targets (that has its place too). Anything that gets you to put lead down range can be a help to you in dire circumstances, but I reiterate, they are both games.

Glad that you and Vlad made it yesterday, it demonstarated that you guys aren't of the USPSA or nothing mindset.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

Yeah - I had a couple issues yesterday myself. I think my thumb was resting on my slide release so I didn't get slide lock on one stage. Held up my time bigtime on that stage. I did really well on the headshot through the window stage though (stage 2). I think I came in 7th overall on that.

Glad that you and Vlad made it yesterday, it demonstarated that you guys aren't of the USPSA or nothing mindset.

I don't think either of us ever said we were. I far prefer USPSA and with the number of matches in the area I don't see myself shooting anything else with any kind of regularity, but if our area didn't have USPSA match in abundance I'd probably shoot IDPA. However, I'll stick to USPSA I think.

I won't comment on the odd "house rules" scoring.

Nice take on it and well put. At this point I really like IDPA, but not sure if that is because of the format or the club. I think more the latter. SCFGPA puts on a nice shoot for very little money.

Hard to argue that. $10 for non members and you get pizza? Thats their problem right there. If they want to reduce the number of people that choose to show up, they need to stop treating them so nicely.

Smaller scale, which helps those of us that are vertically challenged (I'm not overweight, I'm undertall), and on a tighter budget. Lots to remember, but I had fewer brain farts this time (although I still managed to self-destruct). I enjoy USPSA also, but OB, for me is just too hardcore - too many stages, too many people, just kind of takes the fun out of it. CJRPC is somewhere in the middle. 5 stages I can do and I enjoy it, although the enjoyment diminishes as the day grows longer.

If you have not already, you may want to give our (OB) Friday (1st & 3rd) matches a shot. These are run very similarly to SCFGPA - 4 stages shot at the indoor range two stages at a time with an 18 rounds per stage maximum.

I believe both of us would shoot any discipline that involves pulling a trigger and hitting a target. In the end it comes down to time. IDPA is just one of many things that I would shoot regularly if I had no other responsibilities.

If you have not already, you may want to give our (OB) Friday (1st & 3rd) matches a shot. These are run very similarly to SCFGPA - 4 stages shot at the indoor range two stages at a time with an 18 rounds per stage maximum.

I might try that. Can we just show up? I'm not an OB member.

I honestly don't know what the current rule on that is. Members pay $5 but I know at some point they had some issues with a different discipline and it ended up being $20 for non-members. I don't know if that rule is still in effect however.

I know it is at least $15 and you get no pizza.

lol. by saying that, you have commented on them. that one RO was definitely making a lot of odd calls.

That's what I hate most of that place... The SO coaching during your run. The shouldn't be saying anything but range commands and if you are doing something wrong just score the penalty. After the buzzer goes off I'm only specting to hear "muzzle", "trigger" or "stop" anything but that is just interference. The last time that I was there I left the match half way just because of that.

lol. by saying that, you have commented on them. that one RO was definitely making a lot of odd calls.

Sort of. I'm a match director and I will NOT get in debates about how other match directors run their matches, I respect the effort they put in because I know what it takes. I found the scoring surprising, but just because I don't understand the reasoning behind it it doesn't mean I'm to going argue about it or criticize it. When someone puts on a match, I play by their rules. That was the gist of comment, and in retrospect I probably should have not made it at all.

i emailed tom to ask him if he would make an announcement. i won't be at the next match either. people are ef'ed up. i can see accidentally taking something (i just took Luis's glasses Sunday) but you don't accidentally walk off with three mags. i'm hoping i just misplaced them but they are seriously MIA. last time i had them was that match.