FearThisInc

Cheapest prices on bulk ammo purchase?

I am looking to purchase some ammo in bulk.. I have a M&P15 which says is in the 5.56 NATO / .223 caliber.. I was looking on some sites and trying to find the best price on purchasing bulk ammo.. Was thinking of getting like 1,000 rounds or something like that to start.. Just wanted to see if anyone on here can recommend a reputable site that has good prices and also a good product.. Thanks

If you don't mind steel cased ammo, Sportsman's guide has Brown Bear 55gr .223 steel cased - 1000 rounds for $219.27 + shipping.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/1000-rds-55-gr-fmjbt-223-556x45-mm-ammo.aspx?a=515028&bi=156559

SG Ammo has it for $197.90 per K + $16 shipping = $213.90 shipped

http://www.sgammo.com/product/brown-bear/500rds-223-brown-bear-fmj-55-grain-556-223-ammo

Is there a problem shooting steel cased ammo? Just wondering what the major differences are.. Any damage to gun??

You'll get a lot of differing opinions on this subject.

Steel doesn't dissipate heat as well. Steel doesn't necessarily form to the chamber as well and seal like brass so tends to run dirtier because of blowback. Steel can cause extra wear on the extractor.

Will it matter? Probably not.

...Steel can cause extra wear on the extractor....

Internet myth. A really soft coated mild steel case wearing out a high quality piece of very hard/resiliant steel is not going to happen. I have never seen proof of this and if this was true, then there would be many many AKs and such out there with worn extractors. Before you go on saying "yeah but the AK was designed for it" it doesnt matter, steel is steel and the steel "wearing" on the steel doesnt care if it is in one gun or another.

Even if it did wear it out, with the money you save by shooting steel case it wouldnt matter if you had to buy a new one every now and then (but that will not be the case)

I need 7.62x51 (.308) to stockpile!! :icon_mrgreen:

Just got my 1K order of .308 from Aim My link

$476 shipped. Brass case, noncorrosive, boxer primed. Going to be using this weekend at the NRA rifle clinic at CJ. I am also going to try reloading it in the future as well. I'll post up on a new thread a review of what I think of it after Sunday.

So you're saying that the steel won't wear out an extractor?

Of course it will wear more tecnically, but it will not wear out an extractor at any particularly fast pace. Just because it is steel on steel doesnt mean it will wear out crazy fast....look at steel punches. Hardened tool steel vs mild steel: you can punch 1" holes in 3/8" plate for years every day with the same punch and it doesnt wear out. Steel on steel...but one is much harder.

Of course it will wear more tecnically, but it will not wear out an extractor at any particularly fast pace. Just because it is steel on steel doesnt mean it will wear out crazy fast....look at steel punches. Hardened tool steel vs mild steel: you can punch 1" holes in 3/8" plate for years every day with the same punch and it doesnt wear out. Steel on steel...but one is much harder.

I don't think anyone suggested that it would wear out an extractor in 5 shots. It's simply the rate of extractor wear. Is it faster with steel? Probably, but I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the hardness of the steel versus the difficulty to pull the spent casing out of the chamber or a combination of both. If you wish to not deal with any of these issues, including other rumors of damage, shoot brass.

My 'go to' vendor for 5.56 is Palmetto State Armory.

I usually buy Federal XM193 or XM855,(or PMC Xtac) for $320/1K shipped. I prefer brass cased ammunition myself.

Many people have issues with Ammoman for whatever reason, but I have had nothing but positive experiences with him. He is about 10 mins away from me, and his cash and carry price is very competitive on the calibers I shoot.

Your mileage may vary.

Jeff