Lunicy

Shotgun deer Q

I am new to hunting in this state. What do I use to hunt deer with a shotgun?

I need a slug gun.

Do I need an optic sight? (Scope)

Any other parameters

I ask because I was told that I need a scope to hunt deer legally. I can do 75 yards with a slug and my bead sight all day, but want to be legal, obviously.

I am new to hunting in this state. What do I use to hunt deer with a shotgun?

I need a slug gun.

Do I need an optic sight? (Scope)

Any other parameters

I ask because I was told that I need a scope to hunt deer legally. I can do 75 yards with a slug and my bead sight all day, but want to be legal, obviously.

Just a little background: I've been working with slug guns since before they were legal for deer hunting in NJ.

#1 NJ law requires that you have sights if you shoot slugs, Not necessarily optics.

#2 If you are going to limit your shots to 75-100 yds a smooth bore gun , with foster slugs, is fine and capable providing you can keep them in a 8" circle ALL THE TIME.

Good optics and mounts get pricey and for various reasons with some combos fall out of adjustment.

Questions: What shotgun do you currently have? Is it vent rib? What is your budget?

Just a little background: I've been working with slug guns since before they were legal for deer hunting in NJ.

#1 NJ law requires that you have sights if you shoot slugs, Not necessarily optics.

#2 If you are going to limit your shots to 75-100 yds a smooth bore gun , with foster slugs, is fine and capable providing you can keep them in a 8" circle ALL THE TIME.

Good optics and mounts get pricey and for various reasons with some combos fall out of adjustment.

Questions: What shotgun do you currently have? Is it vent rib? What is your budget?

I have a stevens and a jc higgins.

Both 12g, smooth bore. No vent rib. Nothing but the little bead front sight.

Budget is real slim.

I have a stevens and a jc higgins.

Budget is real slim.

I sold a JC Higgins on the forum here and it has been resold and up for sale again. It is scoped and I sold it with a test target. It's a pretty resonable shotgun. Let's see who has it and if they are willing to sell it. PM me and I'll see if we can get you fixed up on the cheap.

Frank

Budget is real slim.

If this is the case, then you are relegated to buckshot in N.J. unless you can formulate a way to get iron sights (cheapest route) on your shotguns. Why don't you opt for an inexpensive muzzleloader?

If this is the case, then you are relegated to buckshot in N.J. unless you can formulate a way to get iron sights (cheapest route) on your shotguns. Why don't you opt for an inexpensive muzzleloader?

I have a muzzle loader. That'd work.

Can I hunt during the 6 day shotgun season with it?

To be honest with you, I want to run the gamut. I want to hunt as much as possible. (not just deer either)

I just want to get started somewhere.

The last time I hunted anything, I was 12, in Indiana. (that was a while ago)

You can always just buy a barrel with adjustable sights, as that is what nj state law requires for slugs. A cheap muzzleloader is another good option. I bought a $100 traditions tracker off the forum and killed two deer with it last season.