Avi

Gun powder possession Law

Is there a law either federal or n.j which limits the amount of gun powder one can have at his residence?

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Hodgdon%20Basic%20Manual.pdf page 15 has the federal info. Local fire code and such can overrule.

Short version

25lbs can be transported in private vehicles.

50lbs in private vehicles in an approved magazine.

20lbs stored in a residence in original containers

50lbs in a portable wooden box with walls having a nominal thickness of 1 inch.

100lbs in a fixed wooden box with walls of 1 inch.

etc.

25lbs can be transported in private vehicles.

20lbs stored in a residence in original containers

So I can transport 25lbs, but only keep 20lbs in my house....that just doesn't seem logical. I also remember that we came to the conclusion you could store 36lbs at your house.

Anybody else find it funny that the fire codes require you to store a flammable substance in a wooden box?

so better something that gives easier rather than creating a really big hand grenade.

That's exactly the reasoning. Containing it in wood doesn't allow the pressure inside to build up as it would with metal. The wood gives sooner creating a fireball instead of exploding as steel would.

Guest schutzen-jager

different set of federal + state laws for black powder -

so under all estimates it looks like 20ibs at a time is definitely ok FEd & State, that should be plenty for me unless i get addicted to reloading like some on here

I can see different powders adding up but if you only are using 1 or 2 that'd be a lot of powder and lots of reloading to do. :)

Harry

Wood is also a preferred container material because of its fire protection/insulation propertied. If I recall correctly, the fire academy taught us that it takes fire 1 hour to burn 1 inch of wood. If you have 1 inch walls on your container it would ideally provide an hour of fire protection without breeching the walls.

Anybody else find it funny that the fire codes require you to store a flammable substance in a wooden box? :banghead:

No,

This makes perfect sense. Smokeless powder burns under heat but EXPLODES under heat and pressure.

The wooden box will burn and release pressure so there is no explosion.

Black powder is another story.

I've been keeping the few bottles of powder in a 50 cal ammo can... i guess this is a bad idea then according to the federal guidance?

Probably. Ammo cans have seals designed to melt before the ammo cooks off, but I don't think they are designed to expel the amount of gas you get from a can full of powder.

Anybody else find it funny that the fire codes require you to store a flammable substance in a wooden box?

so better something that gives easier rather than creating a really big hand grenade.

That's exactly the reasoning. Containing it in wood doesn't allow the pressure inside to build up as it would with metal. The wood gives sooner creating a fireball instead of exploding as steel would.

Wood is also non-conductive, and not prone to static discharge.

What about an out building like a shed or barn? How much is allowed there?

Not to skirt your question (I don't know about storage limits in out-buildings) but I would not store my powder in such an unstable (temperature-wise) setting.

Powder should be stored in a cool dark place if you want to maintain its combustion properties.

Zombies may not care about a few hundred f.p.s., but my 600 yard match targets would certainly reflect the changes in the powder from poor storage.