ronhonda

USPSA Old Bridge 5/22/11

Depending on the people sitting in the chairs. Most help, some don't. But the same can be said to the people without chairs. Regardless, I am/will call people out for not helping. Not fair to me and others if we do all the work while others hang out and wait for their turn to shoot.

Would it not simplify thins that in addition to calling out who is shooting, on deck and in the hole, RO would also call out the people doing the reset?

Would it not simplify thins that in addition to calling out who is shooting, on deck and in the hole, RO would also call out the people doing the reset?

yes we ( I ) do. We yell tapers, and ask the squad to start setting up if they have not.

You know, you all make it sound like the match was some huge unpleasant chore, if I were to listen to all the complaints. Suggestions all welcome and such, but lacking offers to volunteer to implement them and actually help, they will likely be filed in the circular filing cabinet. It is a volunteer sport, everyone who works their a** in the morning also pays their match fee, and don't get payed to do it. It seems that 97 people find it cool enough, and yes when 97 people show up things get a bit slower.

I'd advise you contact Jim or Dave and volunteer to help, if you actually want to improve anything. Keep in mind that we've been running these match for some time now, have scored thousands of stages, and have tried hundreds of suggestions. It is easy enough to say "you should x" and "you should make people do y" until you are the guy that needs to break his back doing x or getting all frustrated harassing people to do y.

You know, you all make it sound like the match was some huge unpleasant chore, if I were to listen to all the complaints. Suggestions all welcome and such, but lacking offers to volunteer to implement them and actually help, they will likely be filed in the circular filing cabinet. It is a volunteer sport, everyone who works their a** in the morning also pays their match fee, and don't get payed to do it. It seems that 97 people find it cool enough, and yes when 97 people show up things get a bit slower.

I'd advise you contact Jim or Dave and volunteer to help, if you actually want to improve anything. Keep in mind that we've been running these match for some time now, have scored thousands of stages, and have tried hundreds of suggestions. It is easy enough to say "you should x" and "you should make people do y" until you are the guy that needs to break his back doing x or getting all frustrated harassing people to do y.

The match was not an unpleasant chore, none of the matches ever are. So if for whatever reason you see this as me complaining, it is not. I for one appreciate ALL the work and effort that is given to put on a USPSA match. Again not complaining.

Thanks to all that offered the extra mag holders... Nick & Marlo, really apppreciate it.

One of the newbies got DQ, almost towads the end, believe it was vlad's memory stage.. One had one guys get DQ before shooting his first stage of the day, then could not leave cause he carpooled.. didn't shoot one shot.

Moose

Vlad, not complaints here. I love the matches and I can't make it early for set up since I work late at nights but I all always make sure to be one of the last to leave the range and help all the way trough.

Tank you dedication and commitment to this matches. This is extensive to Slav, Dave, Jim, Ron Gumman and all those to actually make this happen.

Before the first shot? What, did he pull out his gun before the command to make ready?

Yup. The other newbie DQ'ed on Slav's stage but I was the one to give him the bad news. As always feel bad, but it is better for him and everyone else that he learn safe gun handling now, rather then later.

My earlier comments where kinda tongue in cheek, I know the match was good, but when I see people complaining about start times, chairs (Really Maks?, yes I know (or hope (yes these are nested parans, deal with it(I'm a computer programmer, they don't scare me))) that you where kidding), parking, etc, I like to remind them that those are the little things in life. We treat everyone like grown ups and trust them with guns, if they can't figure out how to park in a way that doesn't take up the entire range, there is no amount announcements and reminders that can fix that. Unless someone is volunteering to be a parking attendant?

We fully understand when people can't show up early and stay late. We know they have lives, so do we. We appreciate any help we get, either building, RO'ing, whatever. Without you guys these matches wouldn't be what they are. Yes, we get grumpy and tiered and irate sometimes, but we don't forget that most people do their part. Every now and then we get some people who think of this as a "payed service" and that their $15-$20 entry fee means they get to file a customer complaint. This is easily solved by putting them in charge of fixing the problem they discovered, they either fix it or shut up.

Yup. The other newbie DQ'ed on Slav's stage but I was the one to give him the bad news. As always feel bad, but it is better for him and everyone else that he learn safe gun handling now, rather then later.

My earlier comments where kinda tongue in cheek, I know the match was good, but when I see people complaining about start times, chairs (Really Maks?, yes I know (or hope (yes these are nested parans, deal with it(I'm a computer programmer, they don't scare me))) that you where kidding), parking, etc, I like to remind them that those are the little things in life. We treat everyone like grown ups and trust them with guns, if they can't figure out how to park in a way that doesn't take up the entire range, there is no amount announcements and reminders that can fix that. Unless someone is volunteering to be a parking attendant?

We fully understand when people can't show up early and stay late. We know they have lives, so do we. We appreciate any help we get, either building, RO'ing, whatever. Without you guys these matches wouldn't be what they are. Yes, we get grumpy and tiered and irate sometimes, but we don't forget that most people do their part. Every now and then we get some people who think of this as a "payed service" and that their $15-$20 entry fee means they get to file a customer complaint. This is easily solved by putting them in charge of fixing the problem they discovered, they either fix it or shut up.

Ooh oh oh, another bright idea.

valet parking. =) $5 and we park your car for you. It is a win win. Cars will be parked like a NYC Garage, and you can just roll up, and go shoot. :icon_mrgreen:

Thats good. You'll never hear me complain about that. We can adapt to more shooters, my guess is that with some changes OB can handle about 120 shooters, and CJ about 90. Beyond that it become an impossibility without dedicated RO's (who would have to shoot on a different day and have lives too, so thats almost a non-starter), more pits (which has issues with permits, building codes, financial), or some form of miracle. However to sustain 100 shooter matches will take shooters actually cooperating to keep the match going and more people learning to RO, run scoring, etc, and extra volunteers to fill in the 20 different jobs that need to get done every morning.

Match staff tries very hard to make thing seem easy, but every match takes 5-10 hours of prep BEFORE the day of the match (sometimes more), showing up at 7:30-8am, and we often do not get home until 8pm. And then there is the post match work of scores, classifier submissions, prize checks, reports to the parent club, etc. Don't forget we'd like to shoot the match too and have fun doing it, but half the match is spent running around solving problems.

Sad part about CJ is that before that %#^^%$#%*%$&%^#$%^$^&((#**#*$^^$@#%^$(()$%) Pinelands commission requirement for the bloody runodd pool, we COULD have easily done 7 or 8 stages AND still have pits left over for members.

As far as the scoring, and flow goes, a lot is dependant on your Squad. If you have shot together before, or you mesh pretty quickly and people get a handle on what they need to do, and WHO does what, within one stage you can really get it down to a science. I've bben lucko so fat, my first 2 matches were with a group that had been shooting together for a while, and they meshed me right in, This one I had Vlad, Matt, Denton, and a couple of other guys who really knew their stuff.

Mine is missing. :(

I felt bad DQ'ing him, I always do. But I don't hesitate because the alternative is far worse.

Same here I had to DQ someone on stage 4 a new shooter as well.

180 from right to left while reloading.

Same here I had to DQ someone on stage 4 a new shooter as well.

180 from right to left while reloading.

Everyone does that at least once, despite the fact that we cover that specifically in new shooter briefings.

In my case it was going left to right on account that I am not wrong-handed.

Can someone decypher the scoring sheets for the stages? Time and Penalties are clear, but not sure how Points, Hit Factor, Stage Points and Stage % are calculated.

Points is the total points you scored. ie, alphas, charlies, deltas. Hit factor is really what matters, ie how you get classified. Hit factor is points after penalties divided by time.

Points is the total points you scored. ie, alphas, charlies, deltas. Hit factor is really what matters, ie how you get classified. Hit factor is points after penalties divided by time.

Correct. In addition stage points are calculated as follows: The high hit factor for the stage for a given division is considered 100% and the shooter who shot that hit factor gets the maximum possible points for the stage regardless of how many points he actually managed to shoot. Every other shooter earns stage points based on his factor taken as a percentage of the high hit factor. The sum total of stage points for the match is used for match ranking.

Sad part about CJ is that before that %#^^%$#%*%$&%^#$%^$^&((#**#*$^^$@#%^$(()$%) Pinelands commission requirement for the bloody runodd pool, we COULD have easily done 7 or 8 stages AND still have pits left over for members.

As far as the scoring, and flow goes, a lot is dependant on your Squad. If you have shot together before, or you mesh pretty quickly and people get a handle on what they need to do, and WHO does what, within one stage you can really get it down to a science. I've bben lucko so fat, my first 2 matches were with a group that had been shooting together for a while, and they meshed me right in, This one I had Vlad, Matt, Denton, and a couple of other guys who really knew their stuff.

Just joined CJ this week. (along with 3 other NJGF members) was interesting to note they were talking about that they have space to eventually go up to 15 pits?!? Talk about having an Area match.

Too bad I cant run for office the first year.

An are match is a non starter in NJ because of our mag capacity limits. That is all that should be said about that.

We've had a "factory gun" area match or two at a long time ago, basically Production/Limited10/Revolver (and now SS) when it was hard to find a location for an area match but now we have many clubs from Virginia to Pennsy willing to put an Area match on so it wont happen.