liquidskin

My first purchase - Glock 17 Gen 4

Hey folks,

Yesterday was a good day. After years of wanting to become a gun owner, it finally happened. I know you guys love pics, while they are nothin special - I'm happy to share it with you all.

img4776b.jpg

img4777dx.jpg

img4781g.jpg

img4782q.jpg

This pupppy came from the highly recommended Shore Shot. My plan was to get my hands on a few of the suggested "first timer" 9mm's and hopefully be able to walk out with something. I shot the Glock 19 and the Springfield XD9. I wanted to try the Sig P226, but it was busy there with a few groups and that one was out on the range - I couldn't wait anymore, I HAD to have the Glock.

I was working with Phil, who was super the whole time. He took out a G19 3rd gen and I spent a few minutes handling it. I knew I shot it pretty well, but I didn't want to be too quick to decide (even though I only shot two guns to begin with..) I asked Phil how it looked in my hands and he didn't seem 100% on the fit. Keep in mind I have quite large hands. He took the G17 out to compare and I instantly felt more comfortable, it fit like a glove. Unfortunately, the rental G17 was being used. Part of me said to wait it out and try the gun before I buy, but Phil assured me that it would be very similar to the G19 and at this point we were just trying to get the fit right. Ok, I'm sold... G17 it is...

Wasnt thrilled to find out about the 10 round mags. On the plus side, it came with 3 mags, while the G19 only had 2. I should have asked, but I thought in my head "oh, there's gotta be a 15 rd mag for this gun somewhere, I'll just get it later if its that important to me". I think I may have been wrong, based on some Google'ing I did today. Oh well.

I also wanted to get a box of ammo to take home. Being that this gun is primarily for HD and just having fun at the range, what good would it be without ammo? Based on my "homework", I knew hollow points were the way to go for HD rounds. There wasnt much of a selection in 9mm hollow points, as a matter of fact I think I got the last box.

img4783oy.jpg

Admittedly, I dont knot much about ammo, but after doing some research after buying I think I regret getting this box. From what I gathered, this is a slow round and not the best choice for HD. Some feedback on that would be great. For HD, I want the best of breed. If this isnt it, I'll just shoot it at the range and forget about it.

Long story short, I'm overall very happy with how everything went down and what I took home. I spent hours with it in my living room racking it, cleaning it, dry firing... all that good stuff that a newbie would be dying to do. I cant wait to fire it, and am very proud to finally be a gun owner.

Thanks

Ryan

You'll have alot more Home defense ammo choices buying online, I have Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition for my home defense ammo in my 9mm.

For blowing rounds off at the range I had good luck with PMC bronze ammo,I put about 1200 rounds of PMC through my Berretta without a single issue.

Nice pistol btw

Very nice, Congratulations on the FIRST purchase because if your anything like many around here, it won't be your last.

I gave the Gen 3 of this gun and really like it but and have many others but it's a darn good first choice that you won't be disappointed with at all. Great all around fun and practical gun to have in the stable.

Harry

Also just purchased my first gun. After 2 months of research while waiting for my FID, it basically came down to the Beretta 92A1 or the Glock 17 G4. Shot both at the range and decided to go with the Beretta for the better (overall) reliability, safety features, and better looks. Very pleased with my decision!

You have a great gun....good luck with it!

Thanks guys!

Something I noticed was the mags are really tough to load. I have to use the speedloader to get more than a few rounds in. Is there a break-in period to loosen up the springs?

This can be the case with new magazines. Just keep loading them and they will get easier. Also, I recommend the UPLULA pistol loader.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Something I noticed was the mags are really tough to load. I have to use the speedloader to get more than a few rounds in. Is there a break-in period to loosen up the springs?

Congrats on a great pistol. Use that loading tool that came with your pistol. You will be able to do it in your sleep. BTW that spring needs to be stiff and should stay that way. If you are a notherner I'll be happy to service your pistol(not that it will need it).

Also, I recommend the UPLULA pistol loader.

I just watched a YouTube demonstration of this... WOW! I NEED THAT! Little pricey for a piece of plastic, but probably worth it.

Is it correct for me to have the mags fully loaded to ease in the break-in or could that have some adverse affect?

And if anyone knows anything about getting a higher capacity mag, I'd be interested in hearing about that too...

Thanks!

I just watched a YouTube demonstration of this... WOW! I NEED THAT! Little pricey for a piece of plastic, but probably worth it.

It is money well spent, and let me tell you, you will be thinking about getting a second one as a backup just in case something happens the the first one. Once you use one you won't want to load a mag again with out one.

Harry

Congratulations on your first purchase! I recently got a Glock 19 to go along with my G23, and I love it. Shoots a lot smoother than the 23. If the 17 is like the 19, which I would believe it is, you're going to love it.

BTW, I got that Uplulu loader recently, and I can't believe I got along without it for as long as I did. Makes getting those last rounds into a mag so much easier. (And faster!)

Joejaxx, it was $595 before NICS and tax. I felt that was a fair price for a NJ shop. Could I have gotten it online cheaper? Probably... but with anything else, the personalized service you get in a small shop is often worth the premium.

Joejaxx, it was $595 before NICS and tax. I felt that was a fair price for a NJ shop. Could I have gotten it online cheaper? Probably... but with anything else, the personalized service you get in a small shop is often worth the premium.

all said and true but budsgunshop is way cheaper and send it to tru value ffl in linkoln park nj for a 35 xfer fee

all said and true but budsgunshop is way cheaper and send it to tru value ffl in linkoln park nj for a 35 xfer fee

Sorry, have to differ with you. Bud's is NOT always cheaper. I just experienced this, and went with a local FFL instead, who was able to order my Beretta 92A1 significantly cheaper than Bud's, CTD, or any other dealer (internet or gun shop) out there.

Buds is sometimes cheaper but not always. I just recently picked up a G17 and got it at a great price from a forum vendor and local FFL.

Some one from NJ, a couple of years ago, posted on Glock Talk about cutting the grip down on his G17 so that it would take G19 magazines. He wanted the longer sight radius, and the gun came out really good.... I have seen where some people have done this for other reasons, such as wanted a G17 but not limited to 10rds like here in Jersey.

something you could look into if you don't mind a difference in the grip.