QuePsiPhiSmkr

Addiction .....we call guns...weaponry...etc...

I started out with exposure to guns when I was in college through my father who was in the military. When he retired from his job, he really got into guns. I was too busy running around when he was trying to teach me.

Well, he passed away 10 years. I finished med school and my residency and I was too busy to get involved in guns or shooting. My father had an impressive collection. Four years ago, I wanted to get into shooting and a lot of resistance from my wife. I played and still paintball but recently, we had a burglary at our home with my wife and children present. That changed the game!!!!! I applied for my FID and several guns later..here I am.

Springfield, Smith and Wesson and so on..... Thanks to this forum, I have learn a lot....thanks for feeding my addiction and keeping my credit cards and bank accounts on fire!!!!

I can't even imagine if someone was trying to break into my house with my wife and kid at home. That's tough

I really wouldn't call it an addiction, more like preparation.

• Like 1

I hope the wife and children are OK, this can be traumatic to anyone.

When does an addiction become unhealthy? When it starts to interfere with all aspects of your life and inhibits normal functioning. If your not paying your mortgage because you need another Smith and Lesson (I don't know them) you may need a 12 step program. If it's just a hobby then your all good.

Hopefully the wife and kids are ok..

Congratz on finishing your residency..

Take a few classes for firearms training.. took two classes at gun for hire and the info you recieve makes well worth the time if you can fit it in your schedule..

Try to also go to some of the uspsa matches.

I agree with Ray, I wouldn't call it addiction, I would call it preparation. Ideally having multiple guns hidden in the house is not really a bad idea, as long as they are hidden well. You have the right to defend yourself in your home....doesn't do much good if you can't get to your HD gun.

Thanks for the input...I have attended and completed some NRA courses already.....they were pretty eye opening...I am going to make some USPSA matches....

Not sure down in your area if any of the clubs do it but the OBRPC had indoor USPSA style matches Friday evening (1st 2 Fridays of the month only), they are informal and very relaxed and a great start to this style of shooting. I did my first USPSA in March and if I had to do it all over again I would have done a few indoor matches prior to a USPSA match, but regardless that all are fun and just a great time.

Harry

I'm Old Glock Guy, and I'm a gun junkie. I started thinking as I was driving up to Cherry Ridge yet again yesterday, that when I joined this forum less than three months ago (3/11/2011) I owned a Glock 23, gen.? and about a hundred rounds of ammo. Shortly thereafter, I went out and bought 200 more rounds, keeping it quiet from friends and family for fear of being thought of as a gun maniac.

Just two and a half months later, I now have added a Glock 19, gen.4; a Ruger 10/22; and a Smith & Wesson 15-22. I'll be picking up a Beretta 92A1 in a few days, and I 'll be acquiring a Mossberg 500 shortly. I still have one P2P left, so I'll be starting another one of those annoying "What should I get?" threads sometime soon. In addition, I have almost 10,000 rounds of ammo (although more than half is .22LR) and my UPS guy or gal hates me. Also, I have a couple of knives, one cheap folder and one decent buck knife.

You guys constantly warn that it can become an expensive obsession, so I just wanted to let you know that you're all correct. The way I look at it though, is that it still costs less than golf. (I think.) :icon_e_confused:

I'm Old Glock Guy, and I'm a gun junkie. I started thinking as I was driving up to Cherry Ridge yet again yesterday, that when I joined this forum less than three months ago (3/11/2011) I owned a Glock 23, gen.? and about a hundred rounds of ammo. Shortly thereafter, I went out and bought 200 more rounds, keeping it quiet from friends and family for fear of being thought of as a gun maniac.

Just two and a half months later, I now have added a Glock 19, gen.4; a Ruger 10/22; and a Smith & Wesson 15-22. I'll be picking up a Beretta 92A1 in a few days, and I 'll be acquiring a Mossberg 500 shortly. I still have one P2P left, so I'll be starting another one of those annoying "What should I get?" threads sometime soon. In addition, I have almost 10,000 rounds of ammo (although more than half is .22LR) and my UPS guy or gal hates me. Also, I have a couple of knives, one cheap folder and one decent buck knife.

You guys constantly warn that it can become an expensive obsession, so I just wanted to let you know that you're all correct. The way I look at it though, is that it still costs less than golf. (I think.) :icon_e_confused:

i am a new gun owner too. started out last year when i saw a magazine from my neighbor ameircan rifleman i believe it is. i applied for my fid card and 6 weeks later i got a springfield xd 90. after several hundred rounds i decided to get a rifle. went to casos in jersey city where i got my first gun and ordered a rra lar15 operator series which was on sale. waited for a long nine weeks. now, i cant even put it down. fired several hundred rounds since i got it and still going. thinking of getting a super nova next.this hobby can become expensive, i try to get my ammo from the cheapest site i could get it, usually by bulk. buying it from the retail store is expensive.

• Like 1

yup, that's what happens, I was kind of anti gun before last year, I didn't understand. went shooting at shoreshot range, literally had a blast, my first buy was a beretta px storm .40, then a taurus 619 snubbie wheel gun in 38special/357mag and I thought that would be it but of course it wasn't, I had to get a rifle, so I picked up a nice saiga 7.62x39 from pk90 forum vendor and with the help of this forum and I did the full saiga conversion myself! so you know I had to get a 12 gauge it would not be fair not have one, right! I brought an h&r pardner pump, it's Remington 870 clone at dick's. now this year I thought to myself I wanna round out the calibers In my collection, one of each flavor! all paid for and ready for pick up a full size xd 45 who doesn't like a big 45? a subcompact xd 9 9mm cheap and fun to shoot, and a little itty bitty ruger lcp .380 it's a darn cute pocket gun, can't wait to pick them up, just waiting on my permits to come in. but I'm running out of excuses to buy stuff, I'll have 3 more permits to use after the extension, who knows what's next! have fun!

yup, that's what happens, I was kind of anti gun before last year, I didn't understand. went shooting at shoreshot range, literally had a blast, my first buy was a beretta px storm .40, then a taurus 619 snubbie wheel gun in 38special/357mag and I thought that would be it but of course it wasn't, I had to get a rifle, so I picked up a nice saiga 7.62x39 from pk90 forum vendor and with the help of this forum and I did the full saiga conversion myself! so you know I had to get a 12 gauge it would not be fair not have one, right! I brought an h&r pardner pump, it's Remington 870 clone at dick's. now this year I thought to myself I wanna round out the calibers In my collection, one of each flavor! all paid for and ready for pick up a full size xd 45 who doesn't like a big 45? a subcompact xd 9 9mm cheap and fun to shoot, and a little itty bitty ruger lcp .380 it's a darn cute pocket gun, can't wait to pick them up, just waiting on my permits to come in. but I'm running out of excuses to buy stuff, I'll have 3 more permits to use after the extension, who knows what's next! have fun!

That's a great story Dave, glad we converted you to OUR side.