alec.mc

Transport Laws - Range bag, handgun in bag

Question concerning transport laws, I just picked up one of them Midwayusa range bags and they have a nice slot where I can store like 2 handguns inside.

Is it against NJ law to have a pistol in the same bag as the ammo? The handgun will be locked with one of them long slide lock locks.

Or,

Does the handgun have to be in a case, stored separately ( aka , sitting right next to it in the back seat of my truck )

Thanks

Question concerning transport laws, I just picked up one of them Midwayusa range bags and they have a nice slot where I can store like 2 handguns inside.

Is it against NJ law to have a pistol in the same bag as the ammo? The handgun will be locked with one of them long slide lock locks.

Or,

Does the handgun have to be in a case, stored separately ( aka , sitting right next to it in the back seat of my truck )

Thanks

Sounds like I have the same range bag as you do and I travel to and from the range with my pistols in the side pouches zipped closed and unloaded with no mags and the ammo is in the bottom of the large main compartment in their original boxes. I keep all the empty magazines in the side pouch designed to carry them. This is legal here in NJ.

-Scott

2C:39-6g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

2C:39-6g. All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

The confusion comes in with that one word, "unloaded". It isn't defined in NJ law. Some people say that loaded magazines constitute a loaded weapon, so they won't load their magazines until they get to the range.

Yet another shining example of why NJ gun laws are so bad.

yup the law is kind of vague, i remember the first time i went to the range, i went with 2 loaded mags, but mags were seperate from not inserted in the pistol and i was told very sternly this is a big no no by the range master... i didnt know, now i do know and knowing is half the battle! "G.I. JOE" hehe

The confusion comes in with that one word, "unloaded". It isn't defined in NJ law. Some people say that loaded magazines constitute a loaded weapon, so they won't load their magazines until they get to the range.

Yet another shining example of why NJ gun laws are so bad.

NJ doesn't have a lock on that stupidity. As I was in Ohio recently, I boned up on the laws. A loaded magazine there equals a loaded gun. The mag can be under the hood and the gun locked in the trunk...still loaded. The only loaded weapon you're allowed to have is your carry piece and it has to be on your person or in a holster in plain site on the seat. That said, I'd take that if it meant we could carry here in NJ like you can there.

How does a loaded magazine equal a loaded firearm? Until magazines start firing off rounds there is no way any interpretation could make that equal a loaded gun, unless said magazine is in the gun!

How does a loaded magazine equal a loaded firearm? Until magazines start firing off rounds there is no way any interpretation could make that equal a loaded gun, unless said magazine is in the gun!

I agree. Ohio has clearly defined it. If you have a loaded magazine anywhere in the car and the gun it goes into, anywhere in the car, the gun is considered loaded. I was just pointing out that stupidity isn't exclusive to NJ.

Most gun ranges don't want magazines loaded prior to going into your shooting lane. As far as the bag goes, I have something very similar. We have two handgun inside the bag, no zippers on our bag, velcro. The magazines are in outer pockets that are zippered. In the middle is the ammo. There are two zippers that close the top of the bag so the ammo and the handguns are both inside a zippered compartment. This bag is either locked in the trunk of our car or the locked in the toolbox of my truck when we transport it to/from the range.

The way I read this statute, while it is nice that the OP puts a lock on his guns, or stores them in locked containers, he is not legally required to do so. Note that the law says: "...shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported,..." Nor is there any mention of requiring that ammo be stored seperately, although most seem to think that it is prudent and not much of a bother to do that.

i doubt anyone does this but the law says, "or locked in the trunk of the automobile being transported in" do they mean if its not in a closed fastened case, gun box, or securely tied package? and if it does you couldnt carry your pistol in hand from the car to range spot! it would make alot of people nervous!!!! lol

I read that if you don't have a lockable trunk, say for example, you drive an SUV, that it must be in a closed fastened case, gun box, or securely tied package. If you do have a lockable trunk, then as long as it is unloaded, you can just toss it in there. I'm not really sure if that is right, haven't thought about it much, as I drive a SUV type vehicle.