Chip

Transporting a firearm from home to work to the range?

I have gone through the procedure to acquire a FID and handgun permit, have been printed, and am just waiting to be approved. I intend to join a range in southern Bucks county PA, as it is the closest range to my home/work. Ideally, I would like to go to the range after work 1-2 days per week. The issue is that from work (in NJ), my home is 30 min in the opposite direction of the range. It would be much easier for me to simply bring my gun with me to work (locked in a case in the trunk, obviously) and go straight from work to the range. I am not certain of the restrictions on transporting firearms in NJ. I have heard that you are only allowed to transport a firearm to or from a range or gunsmith. Is this true? Would stopping at work for 9 hours between leaving my house and arriving at the range violate this rule? Do I need permission from my employer to have a gun (securely locked away) in my car in their parking lot?

Going to work for 9 hours would violate the rule in my opinion. Some people won't even stop for gas or a cup of coffee. You are only allowed reasonable stops between your house and the range or gunsmith. Going to work is a bit of a stretch. When it comes down to it, it would be up to a jury to decide if your definition of reasonable matches theirs. It's a pain in the butt but it's best to make the long drive back and forth so you keep of trouble with the law.

I have heard that you are only allowed to transport a firearm to or from a range or gunsmith. Is this true?

Yes. Also you can transport it to a business you own or to hunt.

Would stopping at work for 9 hours between leaving my house and arriving at the range violate this rule?

In my opinion, yes, and it's not a rule, it a LAW.

Do I need permission from my employer to have a gun (securely locked away) in my car in their parking lot?

Even if I could put guns in my car during the day, it's not the business of the company. Loose lips sink ships, or in this case, loose lips equal silver bracelets.

You could most likely do this, legally, with long guns....as long as you carried your FPID with you. I would highly recommend against doing this with a handgun, as working for 9 hours does not seem like a reasonable deviation. Honestly, I think your best bet is finding a range that is closer to your home, and only transporting your firearms from your house to the range. Even if you transport them legally, you still run the risk of your car being stolen while you are at work. Not worth the risk, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, It's something we all go through. It's inconvenient for me as well. The range's where I shoot are closer to my job than my home, but I have to back track to pick up my stuff when I want to shoot. It is what it is for the time being.

This range is the closest to my home and work. I live in Hunterdon county and work in Mercer. It's a dead zone for shooting ranges.

Then find a range that is open later so that you have time to go after stopping home. Regardless of the solution, I am simply advising that keeping your firearms in your car while you work a 9 hour shift isn't a wise idea. You do not HAVE to listen to what I say, it's simply advice.

This topic was brought up between me and a few fellow shooters at a USPSA match a couple weeks ago.

One shooter says he frequently transports a few pistols to work with him, keeps them locked in his car during the 8hr workday, then goes to the range after.

I will say that as the conversation opened up, I realized more people seem to ride the fine line of NJ's laws than I thought.

Bringing your guns to work and going to the range afterward seams reasonable to me.

You're not being clear enough. There is a difference between doing this with a long gun, and doing this with a handgun. Please specify what you mean.

I personally do not feel like going to work for a 9 hour shift is a reasonable deviation while driving from home to the range. Do I think the law is BS? Of course I do. But if the scenario were put in front of me, given NJ's current laws, I would NOT rule that stopping at work would be a reasonable deviation with a handgun in your car. I would try my hardest to turn to jury nullification. However given the choice between "Yes, it is a reasonable deviation" and "No, it is not a reasonable deviation" I would without a doubt decide the second option.

• Like 1

So it is reasonable for him to drive an hour round trip out of his way to have to go shoot? That would be the definition of unreasonable to me. My statement cannot be anymore clear. It is reasonable to do so, NJ is the unreasonable party in this issue.

Not to nitpick, but the statute doesn't say "reasonable deviations", it says "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."

When courts interpret statutes to try to derive their meaning, they look very carefully at the words that were chosen when the law was written. An appellate court reviewing this would note that if the legislature wanted to say "reasonable deviations", they very easily could have. By using the words "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances" a court could easily decide they meant something more than a "reasonable" deviation.

Does saving yourself a 30 minute trip after work qualify as a deviation that is "reasonably necessary"? My guess is that the State of NJ would say "no". If this was "reasonably necessary", it would basically free up every gun owner to bring their gun to work with them every day by simply planning on going to range after work. Not that I have a problem with that.

• Like 2

This range is the closest to my home and work. I live in Hunterdon county and work in Mercer. It's a dead zone for shooting ranges.

HI Chip,

Welcome from Readington Twp, Where about in Hunterdon are you?

Which range in Bucks are you joining ?

There is a few places that you can go near Hunterdon County after you pick up your stuff at home

EFGA,

SCFGPA to think of a few.

I would have to agree with the consensus on this. As annoying as it is to have to go home to get your guns before heading to the range, the way NJ laws are written, I don't see any way around it. Unless, of course, you're talking about long guns, which you are allowed to keep in your car, as has been noted. Think about it this way: if your car were stolen or broken into, how would you explain the loss of your guns?

The trick would be to start your own business, since you would then be legally able to bring your guns from home to your place of business; then go to the range afterward.

Where about in Hunterdon are you?

Which range in Bucks are you joining ?

There is a few places that you can go near Hunterdon County after you pick up your stuff at home

EFGA,

SCFGPA to think of a few.

I'm in Ringoes and I'm looking to get a membership at Classic Pistol in Southampton. I did look into SCFGPA, but it's a private club and the membership requirements are a bit daunting. EFGA might be an option, but it's a bit further from my home than Southampton. It's also an un-lit outdoor range, so I wouldn't be able to shoot during the week for almost half the year - it would be dark by the time I could get there after work.

Whichever range I decide on, since the law says I have to go home first to retrieve my gun, that's what I'll have to do.

I'm in Ringoes and I'm looking to get a membership at Classic Pistol in Southampton. I did look into SCFGPA, but it's a private club and the membership requirements are a bit daunting. EFGA might be an option, but it's a bit further from my home than Southampton. It's also an un-lit outdoor range, so I wouldn't be able to shoot during the week for almost half the year - it would be dark by the time I could get there after work.

Whichever range I decide on, since the law says I have to go home first to retrieve my gun, that's what I'll have to do.

EFGA wouldn`t serve the purpose if you re looking into after dark shooting, you are right.

I go to Targetworld in Chalfont,PA , Maybe you should look into it. Open till 9am weekdays except monday. I think the annual membership should be the same as classic pistol and the distance would be the same , but since Chalfont is on 202 maybe easyer to get to for you.

http://targetworldinc.com/

Not to nitpick, but the statute doesn't say "reasonable deviations", it says "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances."

I hardly consider it nitpicking. I am glad that you corrected me, as I was wrong. To add, you are completely right that each and every word matters. In this case, the word that makes stopping at work for 9 hours before going to the range unreasonable is "necessary". Thank you, and +1.

Yes... gun laws in NJ are unreasonable. However, they are what they are.

+1 to what everyone here stated. There should be ranges by you. Furthermore, I get that you are new to firearms, right now, you have that mental high of going to shoot after work. This is a start. Think long term. You will probably end up joining a gun club once you discover the joy or rifle shooting, shotgun clays/trap/skeet, the joy of action shooting, etc.

Depending on how good you are with your boss, or the size of the company, speak with them about having firearms there with you. Otherwise, become your own business owner. =) Where in Mercer County are you? There are a few clubs in the area, depending on what your game is.

I'm going to throw this out there.... If you belong to a shooting club that meets the requirements in the exemptions, you have more privileges regarding traveling with guns than someone who does not. Take a look below. If you are a member, then the exemption is for "going to or from" , if you are not, you have to rely on 2b "Directly to or from". There are big implications with the omission of the "directly" when it comes to the law. It would imply that section 1 infers "indirectly" as it is clear that when the statutes want to communicate "directly" they do so.

This is just IMO. Take it for what it is, as most anything gun related in NJ, you would be guilty before being proven innocent, and may have to try to use this argument to convince a jury. Not a good situation.

f.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(1)A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(2)A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

(3)A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a)Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b)Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

edit:

Of course the "reasonably necessary" is still in play for a contradiction as others pointed out. Then again one could argue that on your way "to and from" the range, it was reasonably necessary for you to go to work to make a living.

g.tab.gifAll weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

How about this?

Going to EFGA, stop and pick up buddy and his firearms which necessitates a path not "directly to" the range...is this "reasonable"?

Blue

Wildly open to interpretation like most of NJ's gun laws. Broad brush words like "reasonable" are ripe for abuse, and basically gives the state Carte Blanche to go after anyone they find in possession of a gun while traveling via public pathways. They can drag you to court on illegal possession charges, then argue in front of a jury as to why your course of travel was not "reasonable".

After-all, who determines what is reasonable? The cop that stopped you? The supervisor? The local prosecutor? The AG? Its complete and utter nonsense, and is why the Anti crowd loves to use the word "reasonable" in all of their campaigns. It has no place in any laws, and ranks up there with "justified".

In the end, every individual needs to make a determination as to what level they would like to interpret the exemptions, with all of their subjective and open to opinion rules and contradictions. Chances are if you err on the side of caution and adhere to the litteral wording, the state would be less apt to drag you through the justice system. If one were to stretch it, they may smell blood and try to go for a conviction if they feel they have a chance of convincing the jury you are some gun-nut bad guy looking to drive around with a HG abusing the laws.

• Like 5

I go to Targetworld in Chalfont,PA , Maybe you should look into it. Open till 9am weekdays except monday. I think the annual membership should be the same as classic pistol and the distance would be the same , but since Chalfont is on 202 maybe easyer to get to for you.

http://targetworldinc.com/

It is a bit closer that CP, but only by about 3 minutes according to google maps. I will definitely check it out before I decide where to join.

Wildly open to interpretation like most of NJ's gun laws. Broad brush words like "reasonable" are ripe for abuse, and basically gives the state Carte Blanche to go after anyone they find in possession of a gun while traveling via public pathways. They can drag you to court on illegal possession charges, then argue in front of a jury as to why your course of travel was not "reasonable".

After-all, who determines what is reasonable? The cop that stopped you? The supervisor? The local prosecutor? The AG? Its complete and utter nonsense, and is why the Anti crowd loves to use the word "reasonable" in all of their campaigns. It has no place in any laws, and ranks up there with "justified".

In the end, every individual needs to make a determination as to what level they would like to interpret the exemptions, with all of their subjective and open to opinion rules and contradictions. Chances are if you err on the side of caution and adhere to the litteral wording, the state would be less apt to drag you through the justice system. If one were to stretch it, they may smell blood and try to go for a conviction if they feel they have a chance of convincing the jury you are some gun-nut bad guy looking to drive around with a HG abusing the laws.

A jury will decide what "reasonable" means.

• Like 1

I'm going to throw this out there.... If you belong to a shooting club that meets the requirements in the exemptions, you have more privileges regarding traveling with guns than someone who does not. Take a look below. If you are a member, then the exemption is for "going to or from" , if you are not, you have to rely on 2b "Directly to or from". There are big implications with the omission of the "directly" when it comes to the law. It would imply that section 1 infers "indirectly" as it is clear that when the statutes want to communicate "directly" they do so.

I think your on to something here, IF you are going to a NJ range that complies with the conditions listed in subsection 1 of the law you are quoting. I highly doubt any PA range is submitting membership lists to the NJSP, so that exemption is out for the OP.

I think your on to something here, IF you are going to a NJ range that complies with the conditions listed in subsection 1 of the law you are quoting. I highly doubt any PA range is submitting membership lists to the NJSP, so that exemption is out for the OP.

FYI Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Clud (CJRPC) does that. If you are a member there your name is submitted annually and the indor range is open 24hrs for members.

This may sound like a bizarre idea, but I wonder if any ranges "board" guns. What I mean is, for a reasonable fee, could I simply leave my gun at the range and not have to worry about transporting it?

I looked up CJRPC which Luis mentioned, and their facilities look very nice. Logistically, I'd spend just about as much time driving from work to home to Classic Pistol as I would driving directly from work to CJRPC. This would only work out if they would be willing to board my guns, obviously. I think that might be worth their (rather steep) membership fees. Does anybody know if they do this, or who I would ask about it?

This may sound like a bizarre idea, but I wonder if any ranges "board" guns. What I mean is, for a reasonable fee, could I simply leave my gun at the range and not have to worry about transporting it?

Interesting idea. I've thought the same thing, it would convenient if anyone would do that. I'll bet most places are afraid of the potential liablility, in case a gun should happen to disappear.