vladtepes

can you legally own a double sided knife? not carry.. just own..

like a dagger? would not be carrying this in any capacity..

Not sure, but I have one on my Hang Gliding Harness that also has a hook knife for a less than perfect landing so you can cut yourself out but I only carry it if I am flying over water.

Be interested in seeing the real scoop on this type of knife is.

Harry

"Weapon" means anything readily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury. The term includes, but is not limited to, all (1) firearms, even though not loaded or lacking a clip or other component to render them immediately operable; (2) components which can be readily assembled into a weapon; (3) gravity knives, switchblade knives, daggers, dirks, stilettos, or other dangerous knives, billies, blackjacks, bludgeons, metal knuckles, sandclubs, slingshots, cesti or similar leather bands studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood; and (4) stun guns; and any weapon or other device which projects, releases, or emits tear gas or any other substance intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or permanent injury through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air.

A dagger is a double-edged blade used for hitting, stabbing or thrusting. They often fulfill the role of a secondary defense weapon in close combat. In most cases, a tang extends into the handle along the centreline of the blade.

Daggers may be differentiated from knives on the basis that daggers are intended primarily for stabbing whereas knives are usually single-edged and intended mostly for cutting. However, many knives and daggers are capable of either stabbing or cutting.

NJSA 2C:39-3(e)

e.Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

First, what is "possess?" It's not defined in the statutes, but does possess mean on your person out and about in public, or is the simple act of ownership possession?

Also, from what I've read, self-defense is not a recognized lawful purpose in NJ. Is for display purposes lawful, or collecting? Who knows?

• Like 1

I believe however dont quote me on it that a double edge knife falls into the same category as a baton that you may own it as long as you have legitimate reason

Legitimate reasoning you speak of applies to carrying said knife

I'm going to go with the "razor blades embedded in wood". My legal purpose is extreme shaving.

I am going to attach some razor blades to a METAL PIPE that way I do not have the prohibited "razorblades in wood".. hopefully there is no substantially identical listing that I missed.. :icon_e_wink: