JimmyAGR

Son just joined the Navy

My youngest, (19) came home last Wednesday and told my wife and I that he did not want to go back to college. He went and talked to a recruiter. Long story short he signed up today for the Navy. He almost aced his ASVAB and has chosen to go into the nuclear engineering program. Being former Navy, and with one of his brothers on his 6th year in the Navy I am very proud. Just wish he would have finished college, as he was ROTC and could have gone in as an officer. You always want better for your kids then you had for yourself. Just glad he has a good head on his shoulders, and will make something of himself. Just thought I'd share with my fellow enthusiasts as he often accompanies me shooting, so I will be losing one of my favorite shooting buddies.

Glad to hear someone is proud, i told my pops im training for the marines and he threatened disownment. They are of the mindset that people who join the military have no future or career so it gives them something to do. I tell ya, glad you're of the proud variety. I'd be damned proud if my kid joined. Thank you and your boys for their service now and future

Just wish he would have finished college, as he was ROTC and could have gone in as an officer.

If he likes it and wants to become an officer the Navy has a "Seaman to Admiral" program.

Yeah, officers suck

enlisted get the job done

Having started as a private, went to platoon sergeant, got commissioned and retired as a lieutenant colonel there are people that suck at all ranks.

Thanks for all the well wishes guys. It is appreciated. When I said I wanted better for him I meant I didn't want him to have to work so hard :). As far as getting his degree while he is in, I hope he does. His brother is going through that process now and luckily a lot of the credits from the Navy will count. I am very blessed that God gave me 3 great boys, proud of each of them. They were taught from a young age to love this country and to show respect. Glad the message sank in.

Just wish he would have finished college, as he was ROTC and could have gone in as an officer.

If he likes it and wants to become an officer the Navy has a "Seaman to Admiral" program.

Yeah, officers suck

enlisted get the job done

Having started as a private, went to platoon sergeant, got commissioned and retired as a lieutenant colonel there are people that suck at all ranks.

So true. And I have a Jarhead niece that's enlisted that's going to the Naval Academy. The Military Academys have openings every year for enlisted personel.

And congrats to the OP!!!

I did the same thing in 1964. (Army) Turned out to be the best thing I ever did. I grew up fast and learned about life and people. Went back to college later and raised a great family and most of all learned to love and appreciate this great country. The lesson cost me my left leg, but I would do it again!

I did the same thing in 1964. (Army) Turned out to be the best thing I ever did. I grew up fast and learned about life and people. Went back to college later and raised a great family and most of all learned to love and appreciate this great country. The lesson cost me my left leg, but I would do it again!

Vozella, thank you for your sacrifice. It's amazing how people deal with challenges. Glad everything turned out great for you.

So true. And I have a Jarhead niece that's enlisted that's going to the Naval Academy. The Military Academys have openings every year for enlisted personel.

Bravo for your niece. Getting into any of the service academies itself is a big accomplishment. Coming from the enlisted ranks is one of the few ways you can get in without a congressional appointment. Graduating from a service academy is a club that can benefit you the rest of your life.

I know someone in the Seaman to Admiral program now. He started out getting 30 credits in his spare time while on a carrier (can't remember which one). They basically cut him loose from the Navy, pay him and his tuition while he's going to school, and give him 36 months to get his degree. Can't remember but its like 5 years he owes them after school.

Griz as you know from your own service you get out of it what you put into it. The military gives you the opportunity, but you have to grab the bull by the horns. I really think this country would be better off if they had a mandatory service, 2 years or so. It would give a lot of kids direction and a sense of responsibility. Get them out of video game mode and show them a little about team work.

• Like 2

Thank you sir for your service, now do tell!

Congrats to both you and your son Jimmy. Nuclear engineering program sounds exciting. I'm sure he will learn skills that will serve him well either in a military or civilian career.

Griz as you know from your own service you get out of it what you put into it. The military gives you the opportunity, but you have to grab the bull by the horns. I really think this country would be better off if they had a mandatory service, 2 years or so.

Jimmy I agree with you 100%. I know a lot of people in the 60s who were being "led astray" shall I say and being drafted or joining to avoid being drafted got them straightened out.

This is another reason I give a lot of credit to young people who join voluntarily. They don't have but still go ahead and join. I joined at 17 and was out at 20. I had a totally different perspective on life and took all the opportunities afforded me.

I don't want to go on tooting my own horn but want to applaud the young people going into the military today whether it be 2-3 years or 30 years.

I really think this country would be better off if they had a mandatory service, 2 years or so.

I also say if they don't want to do that they should get a mandatory jail time, just to find out that it is not a place they ever want to go back to.

Harry

I use to think mandatory service was a great idea (when I was still serving), but not so much anymore. But for starters, its not for everybody.

Also, what makes our values so precious, IMO, is that they are protected by those few who volunteer to protect them. Sure the overall message is lost on the greater whole (like listening to the radio while driving today heading into the Memorial Day Weekend, and all the DJs are talking about is partying and [presumably] getting drunk... when the whole point of this weekend is to reflect and celebrate those who made the sacrifice. Albeit, everybody celebrates differently). But because of exactly that reason, the fact that the overall message can be lost, is what makes it that much more prominent.

So, even if my President doesn't give a rat's a** about our military traditions (and will probably mess something up this weekend related to the military, as usual), I know there is that 1% of the population-- my fellow 1% (and their families and friends who also understand)-- who hold those values close to heart. And that's fine with me.

• Like 1