aijai

red dot sights

hello, just got my ar15 and looking forward to get a red dot sight for it. i cant afford to get the eotech sight or others on that level, i just want something but durable to use for target shooting that wont break the bank. is there anybody that own such a sight . my ar has a dominator 2 mount rear sight from rra. i have read about barska, tru glo, bsa,just dont know which one to get. help please. thank you in advance.

Not sure what your price range is, but I just picked up a used in decent condition Trijicon reflex sight for $200. If you have the carry handle on your AR, this will mount right on. Let me know if you want info on it.

I don't have any first-hand experience with this sight, the Lucid HD7, but I've been reading about it and it seems to be a lot of sight for the money. I'm not going to outright say, "Buy this!", but I do think that it's worthy of further research. Nice that they make an integrated package where you can purchase the components separately. Definitely take a look, here's the site...

http://www.mylucidgear.com/index.php

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I really like my Vortex SPARC - $200 (Less if you find coupons).

AIM Surplus has them for $185 with the coupon code bryanfreakinrocks http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=217&t=185369

Im still undecided on whether to get the Vortex or one the Primary Arms one

I have a primary arms sight for one of my AR's and I like it. It has the same look, mounts and function of an aimpoint without the price. I'm sure the quality isn't the same but the primary arms fits my needs. I have had this tp the range multiple times and practiced rapid fire drills while moving and ringing steal at 170 yards. With multiple trips and palcement/removal from storage, range bags and being banged around at the range it has held zero.

Down side, the markings on the adjustment dials suck and are not clear.

Yes and no. I actually would go for the PA one, every one I've seen have been excellent and personally I dislike the big controls on the Sparc in the field of view, BUT the PA will need a raised base and get a decent one. The cheap one is kinda crap, get the ADM one they offer, the price becomes about $160.

I have a Vortex now (glass though, so, a bit different), and I can make the claim that they are well made.

But I will still give the nod to Primary Arms. Aside from being a great, cheap, alternative to the high end stuff-- the guys at PA are AWESOME and I vouch for them every chance I get.*

* I am in no way affiliate to Primary Arms. Just a long time customer, and they have proven to me that they care more about the customer then their wallet.

Hey Guys,

I have no dog in this fight as I have neither site, but I was under the impression the PA sight had a pretty significant color shift, when compared to the Vortex...

Respectfully,

Harry

No real color shift in a PA. In fact I've put PA's side by side with T1's and M3's and the color seemed about the same and embarrassingly the PA dot was cleaner. No they don't have the durability of an Aimpoint but they can take a serious beating, and the have very decent battery life, though again not aimpoint kind.

The single biggest reason I would recommend against the vortex are its controls. They take up a considerable chunk of your field of vision and for a sight that is supposed to be shot with both eyes open, that's just silly.

Note: from what I hear the PA mount is fine, except despite its quick release lever, it isn't really a quick release mount in the sense that it won't return to 0. Put the PA in a Larue or ADM mount and it will work like magic, I know cause I own one and I know other people who do.

Primary arms microdot with the American defense qd mount bundled for $158. You won't be sorry if you are on a budget.

The reality is that all these cheaper sights that look the same are coming from the same place more or less. What you pay for is qc, packaging, and profit.

Primary arms doesn't operate on fat margins, you can tell by their retail prices for a lot of the third party products they sell. They check each sight themselves in addition to factory qc, they are honest about what their product is and is not, and they are also pretty good to deal with as a vendor. If you search on various forums, you can find plenty of torture tests of their sight. They are pretty reassuring.

Short of spending the money on an aimpoint, I haven't run into a dot that's both lots cheaper than an aimpoint and lots better than the PA sight.

American defense mounts are just top notch mounts.

The reality is that all these cheaper sights that look the same are coming from the same place more or less. What you pay for is qc, packaging, and profit.

Not sure if you can do better than this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89HEefl1KI4

• Like 1

The single biggest reason I would recommend against the vortex are its controls. They take up a considerable chunk of your field of vision and for a sight that is supposed to be shot with both eyes open, that's just silly.

I have no problem with the FOV with the Vortex SPARC. But then again, I haven't had a chance to compare it to the PA.

BUIS2.jpg

I have no problem with the FOV with the Vortex SPARC. But then again, I haven't had a chance to compare it to the PA.

I'm pretty sure they aren't referring to the field of view through the glass, but the field of view being blocked by the adjustment knobs. I can really see how those knobs would block some of your field of view, especially for shooting with both eyes open.

I was at the range the other day and the guy next to me swore by the tru glow red dot on his ar. I have also heard good things about he bushnell red dot. The one that kinda looks like a acog. If you ever get the extra funds I highly recommend an aim point.

Edit I just watched that video in the thread makes me feel even better about my aim point purchase.

Not sure if you can do better than this.

Which is why I said short of buying an aimpoint. However, they have lots of Swedish taxes built into the price, which is pretty steep for what they are.