Sign in to follow this  
Pizza Bob

1911 Mags - McCormick?

I've always used Wilsom Mags for my 1911's, but there is a great sale on McCormick Power Mags right now, and I wondered how they stacked-up? I'm not real crazy about the metal followers in the McCormicks, but have no rational reason for that bias. If they are as good as Wilsons I can live with the followers. What say you? Anyone with some first hand experience with these?

Thanks.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I prefer Wilsons, have about 40 in all CALs. But received 2 chip's 38 super yesterday and will keep them also. JMHO. If they are on sale -buy-em!

I've always used Wilsom Mags for my 1911's, but there is a great sale on McCormick Power Mags right now, and I wondered how they stacked-up? I'm not real crazy about the metal followers in the McCormicks, but have no rational reason for that bias. If they are as good as Wilsons I can live with the followers. What say you? Anyone with some first hand experience with these?

Thanks.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Hey Bob - I have two McCormicks in my mess of 45 mags. I use them as the first mags I shoot because they're 8rds. I have no idea how many rds through them. Seem to hold up well. Feed 200gr SWC and 230 ball well. BTW where's the sale?

Thanks everyone. That was exactly what I was looking for. The special is at CMC's website and applies only to the Black 8-rd Power Mag, here...

http://www.cmcmags.com/Powermags.html

You also get free shipping on orders over $10 - yes that is $10, I did not forget a zero. Such a deal - quality 8-rd mag for $24 with free shipping - doesn't get much better than that. I just ordered some. FYI - the free shipping is USPS Parcel Post, so they will take a while to get to your door.

Thanks again.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I use the Power Mags in my SW1911 and haven't a single misfeed. The only weird thing with these is that once my slide locks back on an empty mag, I can't release it with the magazine inserted. Works just fine with a loaded mag though. Also, the stock Act mags that came with the gun work just fine. Must be the unique follower the power mags use.

At $23 and free shipping, these are a steal so feel confident and stock up!

thanks for sharing this deal with us!

Out of curiosity, when you say (in reference to posts like SSlav and Vlad but not directed at anyone in particular) " I prefer these mags over these mags" besides one or the other not functioning, is there any reason to prefer one over the other?

Do you just like the way one looks or how they feel, or is it just random without any real reason? I have seen people say in the past that while they had never had any issues with how some magazine worked, they liked some other type better. I don't completely know why though.

Sure, that's a reasonable question. If it was looks alone I'd love the ACT/Novak/Nighthawk/everyone-else mag. It looks neat and functions (but it is somewhat fragile on impacts). The reasons I like the CMC are:

a) stainless body, it means no rust. I'm not sure about the new black CMC's in theory the finish should last

b) I like the follower design

c) I like the strength of the tubes. They tend to not crack, bend, etc when stepped on, dropped on hard surfaces, etc

d) I like the witness hole layout. By being staggered small holes they weaken the mag body less then the slots on Wilson's or the linear holes on ACTs.

e) When they do get messed up it is generally the feed lips which can be reformed back to normal a couple of times with just a leatherman

f) They are cheap

g) I like the 10rd mag design with the large rubber basepad because they are easier to grab off the belt, shove into the gun, and most importantly the big plastic chunk acts as a over-insertion stop. I don't like the Wilson weld on stop, I have seen them shear.

h) They are easy to take apart and clean.

Lots of mags have some of these features, its just that CMC ones have all of them. There are 2 or 3 types of really good mags there (CMC, Wilson, Tripp) but CMC win it for me and they are the cheapest of the bunch.

• Like 1

Sure, that's a reasonable question. If it was looks alone I'd love the ACT/Novak/Nighthawk/everyone-else mag. It looks neat and functions (but it is somewhat fragile on impacts). The reasons I like the CMC are:

a) stainless body, it means no rust. I'm not sure about the new black CMC's in theory the finish should last

b) I like the follower design

c) I like the strength of the tubes. They tend to not crack, bend, etc when stepped on, dropped on hard surfaces, etc

d) I like the witness hole layout. By being staggered small holes they weaken the mag body less then the slots on Wilson's or the linear holes on ACTs.

e) When they do get messed up it is generally the feed lips which can be reformed back to normal a couple of times with just a leatherman

f) They are cheap

g) I like the 10rd mag design with the large rubber basepad because they are easier to grab off the belt, shove into the gun, and most importantly the big plastic chunk acts as a over-insertion stop. I don't like the Wilson weld on stop, I have seen them shear.

h) They are easy to take apart and clean.

Lots of mags have some of these features, its just that CMC ones have all of them. There are 2 or 3 types of really good mags there (CMC, Wilson, Tripp) but CMC win it for me and they are the cheapest of the bunch.

This has got to be one of the most informative posts I have read here in a while, thanks.