Kaiser7

So does anybody here even own a muzzle loader?

Now I know within the hunting community there is supposed to be a group that thinks it's only fair, sportsman if you will, to use black powder weapons since it prevents you from getting a quick follow-up shot should you miss, which, considering musket-ball ballistics, is more than likely. But do any of you in the NJGF community use black powder guns on a regular basis, whether it be for hunting, or for target shooting?

I think it would be fun to shoot them, especially something like a Jaeger Rifle, or Kentucky long rifle, but I would think the BP community would be rather small. Just wondering what feelings you guys have about BP weapons.

Guest schutzen-jager

maybe 2 or 3 times a year - .50 traditions hawken + .36 1861 navy - enjoy shooting them but hate cleaning them -

I bought a thompson center .50 about 3 years ago, black synthetic stock and stainless metal. I might have 10 rounds through it. Dont really even want it anymore. Its collecting dust in the corner of my closet.

I bought a thompson center .50 about 3 years ago, black synthetic stock and stainless metal. I might have 10 rounds through it. Dont really even want it anymore. Its collecting dust in the corner of my closet.

Haha, I'll take it. But how do they ignite? I Imagine it's percussion cap?

I like Flintlocks personally, simply because of the way they look, what with the huge flint sitting in the (dog I believe it's called? Or maybe that's matchlocks) and the fact that it has to strike the frizzen and stuff. Hell, half the fun of BP guns is just naming all the ye olde time named parts.

Yes, some folks who are into BP are fanatical. Some have dropped metallic cartridges entirely too in their fanaticism.

I've posted a pic of my muzzleloader here before. I've been shooting a T/C Renegade .54 caplock for three decades now, and still load the same load that proved most accurate in it: 110 grs. of Pyrodex & 430 gr. Maxi-Ball. Produces a bit more than 1,900 FPE at the muzzle. I've also had good results accuracy wise with various weights from the old defunct Buffalo Bullet Company as well, but never used them on game. The Renegade is the only muzzleloader I own right now. Cleaning them is the only gripe I have. I heard some of the newer powders shoot cleaner but it's not enough for me to change my load.

The only modification I've made to mine since I purchased it was add sling swivel studs, a T/C peep sight and a T/C bead front sight. I drilled the center out of the solid metal bead to which I added a tiny spot of white automotive paint. Also added a fiberglass rod to prevent any problems should the hardwood rod ever break in the field. Mine has proven to be very accurate and reliable over the years. I've had complete penetration on whitetail deer with the 430 gr. Maxi-Ball at 10 yds. out to 80 yds., but I have no recovered projectiles to ascertain bullet deformation. It simply makes one big hole going in and a slightly bigger one coming out. It's a very easy gun to shoot offhand with the forward muzzle balance and with the set trigger you can adjust it to a feather-touch pull that breaks like glass.

But do any of you in the NJGF community use black powder guns on a regular basis, whether it be for hunting, or for target shooting?

I run real black in all my gunz, and that includes my 1911, with the exception of my AR. But I use Triple Seven in my 25.20 cause real black fouls it up too damn fast.

With regards to black powder guns, I don't own front stuffing muzzleloaders, but I have a pair of Ruger Old Army cap and ball revolvers I use twice a month, and I also use a Winchester 1887 shotgun, and Winchester 1873, both made before smokeless was wide spread, twice a month as well.

After joining the Darkside two years ago, you learn what works, and how to clean up real quick. I can get everything clean in about 30mins. Which reminds me, I still have to clean my gunz from a big match in PA last weekend.....maybe this Sunday I'll find time...... :nomention:

Own one? Yes. Shoot it? Not in over 30 years. I will admit that they are great fun. When I lived in NE PA there was a big Rendevouz once a year at Wally Hart's (of Hart benchrest action fame - Hart barrels is his uncle) range in Wapwallopen, PA. A lot of the events were based on old time competition formats. Like shooting at a tomahawk, blade facing you, to split the ball and break two clay pigeons on either side of the blade. Shooting at dental floss suspending a ham - break the string - win the ham. Lots of fun, but as others have pointed out, cleaning the guns is not.

Not sure what to make of the current crop of "modern muzzleloaders". To my way of thinking not a whole lot of difference than using a bolt action rifle. What with scopes, some with electronic ignition, etc. etc. Not judging, just not my cup of tea. If I'm going to shoot a ML, I want it to bear a resemblance to ML's of yore.

Here's my Berdan Wesson caplock rifle (Replica Arms). Somewhat unusual for its short OAL and the use of a box lock, rather than one inletted into the stock. IIRC, I used 60 grs of FFG behind a patched round ball measuring .455".

2vmu7pc.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The in-line bug never bit me yet. But I don't lament those who use them. When equipped with a scope some rifles are true 200 yard hunting tools. I like the challenge of the caplock, although my flintlock buddy tells me I'm still cheating. Every now and then my rifle's been known to produce a good group off the bench:

My Deer hunting weapon of choice is a TC Encore muzzle loader. With the exception of deer drives once or twice a season it's all I use in NJ. I have been shooting muzzle loaders since the early 70's, before there was a season. The inlines have such an advantage over shotguns that I would not consider using one except for drives where buckshot is the only safe choice. Only one shot has never been a problem. I've taken 77 deer since 1996 with the Encore, only two needed a follow up and that was my fault (yes I keep records). Many times I have shot, reloaded, and shot another from the same herd while they stood around wondering why deer #1 laid down. As a hunting tool the Encore is a 200yd deer gun and on the range I have shot to 300yds and no have problem staying on a 12" steel plate. If you take the time to learn how to load consistantly you will not have a problem. Needless to say I don't buy beef, and I bucther and grind my own.

with an extra barrel in centerfire it makes a darn fine groundhog shooter too!

I not only own them, but I shoot them & teach others how to shoot 'em too!

Member of three clubs that shoot the Holy Black: Old Bridge, Monmouth, and the Garden State Black Powder Association (shoots on a Farm in Sussex Co.)

Dave

I not only own them, but I shoot them & teach others how to shoot 'em too!

Member of three clubs that shoot the Holy Black: Old Bridge, Monmouth, and the Garden State Black Powder Association (shoots on a Farm in Sussex Co.)

Dave

What's the Garden State Black Powder Assc all about??

The GSBPA is a group of Reenactors that hold monthly Shoots from February-November up on a Farm in rural Sussex County NJ, as well as (2) Shoots a year (March & October) at Cherry Ridge. Great bunch of folks! They also run a Rendezvous annually on Columbus Day weekend up on a Farm in Sussex Co. In addition to black powder rifle shooting, we also do black powder shotgun shoots at clay birds launched in the air, and I run a pistol shoot or two up on the Farm. Most members have period-correct clothes, although they aren't required to join in on the fun! Our members also participate in Hawk Throwing, Long Bow, Arts & Crafts, Cooking, Trekking, Novelty Shoots, Woods-Walk Shoots, etc. We're the largest black powder (only) group that I know of in NJ!

We're having a Shoot this Sunday! Wanna come and have some fun??

Dave

The GSBPA is a group of Reenactors that hold monthly Shoots from February-November up on a Farm in rural Sussex County NJ, as well as (2) Shoots a year (March & October) at Cherry Ridge. Great bunch of folks! They also run a Rendezvous annually on Columbus Day weekend up on a Farm in Sussex Co. In addition to black powder rifle shooting, we also do black powder shotgun shoots at clay birds launched in the air, and I run a pistol shoot or two up on the Farm. Most members have period-correct clothes, although they aren't required to join in on the fun! Our members also participate in Hawk Throwing, Long Bow, Arts & Crafts, Cooking, Trekking, Novelty Shoots, Woods-Walk Shoots, etc. We're the largest black powder (only) group that I know of in NJ!

We're having a Shoot this Sunday! Wanna come and have some fun??

Dave

Fourth Sundays are tough for me, I got a Cowboy shoot in Jackson, and I need to get in the groove for the PA State BP shoot in July. Then I have to get in the groove for the MD State BP shoot in August.

The Match at Cherry Ridge of which you speak, is it the one listed for Oct 30th??

Fourth Sundays are tough for me, I got a Cowboy shoot in Jackson, and I need to get in the groove for the PA State BP shoot in July. Then I have to get in the groove for the MD State BP shoot in August.

The Match at Cherry Ridge of which you speak, is it the one listed for Oct 30th??

Sorry for not getting back to you right away! YES I just checked the Club's schedule, and we're due to shoot at Cherry Ridge immediately after our Meeting in the Clubhouse is over. Come on over and check us out & say hello!

Dave

I don't have one. But how do you load one at a range. Are you suppose to point the gun at the direction of the target all the time at a range!

Easiest way to learn is to show-up at a shoot & get some smoke on yer face, LOL! What are you doing this Sunday? We're having a League Shoot at OBR&PC. Novelty Match, should it should be fun for all ages! Come on out, the gate is open, bring eyes & ears. No charge to watch & ask questions, or maybe take a shot or two, cause we're THAT FRIENDLY!

Dave

Easiest way to learn is to show-up at a shoot & get some smoke on yer face, LOL! What are you doing this Sunday?

Dave

Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately I will be busy on Sunday. It would be fun. I wonder if anyone has ever put an Acog on.