Kaiser7

So does anybody here even own a muzzle loader?

I'm taking my 10 ga. percussion double out bird hunting this Sunday!

Maybe to get more activity on this ML Board we need a sub-forum of folks that use REAL BP and NO PLASTIC sabots???

Dave

Maybe to get more activity on this ML Board we need a sub-forum of folks that use REAL BP and NO PLASTIC sabots???

Seeing how this forum has less than 13% of the traffic as the next least visited section in Firearms Discussion, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Maybe its time for another black powder pistol meet up at SCF&G

Hmmmmm!

Keep me posted. I haven't shot real black since before Thanksgiving.

Have to shoot smokeless this weekend. Gonna have to soak in the tub and scrub the filth off me afterwards.

Seeing how this forum has less than 13% of the traffic as the next least visited section in Firearms Discussion, I wouldn't hold your breath.

Yeah I know, but I could dream....

Too may Kids and not enough "Old Timers". Too many pellet users and not enough REAL BLACK! Or is it that folks just get tired about reading, "What's the best HD Shotty or HG" threads?

Maybe I should write a few things or put some of my past writings up here as "stickies" to get things going a little more. If it's O-K with the Mod's that is? Of course I can email the stuff to you Jon and then you could post it. Would you be able to do that??

Thanks,

Dave

Whats a muzzleloader? :)

I went to Colliers Mills outdoor thingy in October and there was a guy there that made his own, the old fashioned way. It was pretty interesting talking to him about the time and craftsmanship that goes into it. If I were to buy one, it would be like that.

Whats a muzzleloader? :)

I went to Colliers Mills outdoor thingy in October and there was a guy there that made his own, the old fashioned way. It was pretty interesting talking to him about the time and craftsmanship that goes into it. If I were to buy one, it would be like that.

I'm a friend of that guy! His name is John. He's a member of the same Club that I am. The Garden State Black Powder Association. I was there too! I was doing the demo of the 10 ga. double barrel percussion shotgun! For 2 days! Maybe you saw me too??

If you're sincerely interested in shooting one of these rifles I can arrange for you to do so at the Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club's bi-monthly Black Powder League Shoots. You're welcome to come down (or up from Burlington Co.) to our range to see what we all do. Both pistol & rifle matches, so just let me know! Try before you buy!

Dave

Feel free to post anything that you'd like, and mention that you'd like it to be a sticky. I read every post on the entire forum, and will happily sticky any worthwhile threads.

Thanks! I'll get to work on it after this weekend. Have several articles on multiple aspects (rifle, pistol, shotgun) that were written for various Clubs that I belong to. I'll email them to you in MS Word and you can take it from there.

Dave

Currently own a few. T/C Renegade 50. - percussion, blued/wood. T/C White Mountina Carbine 50 - percussion, blued/wood T/C Omega 50. scoped, camo thumbhole stock, nickel, weatherguard finish

Nice collection you have there! Do you get to shoot them as often as you'd like to? Do you also use any BP hand guns?

Friend of mine has the White Mountain Carbine. Fast twist barrel, great for 370 grain T/C Maxi-Balls!

I have a Lyman Trade Rifle, .50 cal percussion, a T/C Hawken in .50 percussion and a Navy Arms Ithica .50 percussion round-ball only gun w/ slow-twist barrel.

Several reproduction Colt & Remmy Cap & Ball revolvers round-out the lot. Oh, and then there's my 10 ga. percussion double barrel shotty. I'm taking that bird hunting tomorrow morning!

Stay in touch!

Dave

I only have my .54 Renegade. I shot real BP and patched roundball back in the 80's when I hunted in Maryland. Back then, their blackpowder deer season called for traditional iron sights and BP, no BP substitutes. Most states have changed their "primitive weapons" season to adapt to the changing times and modern firearms.

Accuracy with patched roundball was okay in mine, not stellar, but the twist of the Renegade prefers those big lead projectiles like original Maxi-Balls and the old Buffalo Bullet. At today's prices for lead, it's not a rifle I like to plink with anymore. I used to go anywhere and find .54 Maxi-Balls on the shelf of a Sports Authority or a Ramsey Outdoor Store. Not today. The .50 cal. seems the preference they carry and sabot offerings seem to rule the shelves of what's in stock.

TC Cherokee 45 cal. & 32 cal.

Traditions Evolution 45 cal. inline

1851 Navy 36 cal. cap & ball

Haven't shot about 2 yrs. now!

Nice selection.

I kick myself today for having never bought a T/C Seneca or Cherokee. They are sweet little rifles. There is a slightly-used Cherokee .32 on the the Griffin & Howe website listing for $1,350! I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that price.

Man, that's crazy ! I used the .45 for deer, but being the gun's so light, it was wrecking my shoulder. I switched to the .32 for squirrel. Fun !

Nice selection.

I kick myself today for having never bought a T/C Seneca or Cherokee. They are sweet little rifles. There is a slightly-used Cherokee .32 on the the Griffin & Howe website listing for $1,350! I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that price.

I only have my .54 Renegade. I shot real BP and patched roundball back in the 80's when I hunted in Maryland. Back then, their blackpowder deer season called for traditional iron sights and BP, no BP substitutes. Most states have changed their "primitive weapons" season to adapt to the changing times and modern firearms.

Accuracy with patched roundball was okay in mine, not stellar, but the twist of the Renegade prefers those big lead projectiles like original Maxi-Balls and the old Buffalo Bullet. At today's prices for lead, it's not a rifle I like to plink with anymore. I used to go anywhere and find .54 Maxi-Balls on the shelf of a Sports Authority or a Ramsey Outdoor Store. Not today. The .50 cal. seems the preference they carry and sabot offerings seem to rule the shelves of what's in stock.

That .54 of yours is quite a nice rifle! I have a source that orders all of the various calibers/sizes of the T/C Maxi's as well as friends with molds that cast their own! Our league members in Old Bridge are quite active and have a monthly rifle match with a 20-round COF: (7) shots at 50 yards with your best (5) counting for score, then (13) shots at 100 yards with your best (10) counting for score. It's not uncommon for the aggregates to be in the 120's & 130's out of a possible 150 points.

Anytime you want to come down the Parkway for a visit to shoot the league with us you can as membership in the Club isn't required to shoot any of the league disciplines here at Old Bridge!

You are correct as far as the plastic sabots "taking over", especially in the big box stores. That's where my local guy shines--he'll order anything I tell him to and then once everyone finds it on his shelf--he sells out of it! So I definately have his ear, so to speak!

The Seneca & Cherokee rifles are collector's items at this point, but folks still buy them to gift to wives & younsters as they make great rifles for smaller-framed folks! I have a source for those as well.

Anytime you want to try to get together, I'd appreciate the opportunity.

Dave

TC Cherokee 45 cal. & 32 cal.

Traditions Evolution 45 cal. inline

1851 Navy 36 cal. cap & ball

Haven't shot about 2 yrs. now!

Let's fix that! How about a meet-up? I'll be shooting at Cherry Ridge the end of March!

Dave

Yeh, I gotta get up there one of these days ! We'll see how it goes, thanks !

If Cherry Ridge is "up there" you can always come to Old Bridge. We normally have an entire line of at least 10 shooters banging-away at once, lol! When the weather is "temperate" we have to run a second relay for both pistols & rifles, so the more, the merrier!

Dave

That .54 of yours is quite a nice rifle! I have a source that orders all of the various calibers/sizes of the T/C Maxi's as well as friends with molds that cast their own! Our league members in Old Bridge are quite active and have a monthly rifle match with a 20-round COF: (7) shots at 50 yards with your best (5) counting for score, then (13) shots at 100 yards with your best (10) counting for score. It's not uncommon for the aggregates to be in the 120's & 130's out of a possible 150 points.

Anytime you want to come down the Parkway for a visit to shoot the league with us you can as membership in the Club isn't required to shoot any of the league disciplines here at Old Bridge!

You are correct as far as the plastic sabots "taking over", especially in the big box stores. That's where my local guy shines--he'll order anything I tell him to and then once everyone finds it on his shelf--he sells out of it! So I definately have his ear, so to speak!

The Seneca & Cherokee rifles are collector's items at this point, but folks still buy them to gift to wives & younsters as they make great rifles for smaller-framed folks! I have a source for those as well.

Anytime you want to try to get together, I'd appreciate the opportunity.

Dave

Dave,

When hunting season ends up north for me I may take you up on that offer.

Kevin

Hmm... I actually want to try a flintlock. I actually know how to load one, and prepare it for firing. They're pretty cool, but I never knew anyone still used them! I figured most were relegated to hanging over a fireplace.

Hmm... I actually want to try a flintlock. I actually know how to load one, and prepare it for firing. They're pretty cool, but I never knew anyone still used them! I figured most were relegated to hanging over a fireplace.

I'm a member of three clubs that shoot the "Holy Black" and two of them have folks that primarily use Rocklocks (Flintlock for those in Rio Linda, LOL). You be surprised at how accurate they truly are in the hands of a real "Shootist". My friend John built his own, made his own stock too! I stood next to him when he cut a playing card in half sideways at 15 yards distance! Those things CAN SHOOT!

So anytime you want to give one a try, just let me know, as it will well be worth your ride!

Dave

Dave,

When hunting season ends up north for me I may take you up on that offer.

Kevin

Sounds like a plan! Let's set a date as soon as you see your way clear to do so.

Continued success with the hunting! I'm bringing the 10 ga. percussion double out tomorrow morning to hunt some pheasant with friends. One of the guys is a friend of mine and his Dog is really great. I'm so looking forward to this trip!

Chat soon!

Dave

I'm a member of three clubs that shoot the "Holy Black" and two of them have folks that primarily use Rocklocks (Flintlock for those in Rio Linda, LOL). You be surprised at how accurate they truly are in the hands of a real "Shootist". My friend John built his own, made his own stock too! I stood next to him when he cut a playing card in half sideways at 15 yards distance! Those things CAN SHOOT!

So anytime you want to give one a try, just let me know, as it will well be worth your ride!

Dave

The finest I've ever seen was a flintlock pistol owned by my high school English teacher. I do yardwork for him for extra cash (How else do you think I pay for my shooting? XD) I went in to use the bathroom, and he wanted to show me the room he's dedicating to modern art. The room adjacent to it is all classical stuff, Realism, and various curios from around the world. The sort of thing you'd expect from a 19th century English gentleman. Well I picked up this beautiful Flintlock pistol, and asked if it had been in the family long. He told me that his brother had actually built it from a kit, he did a fantastic job of it too, it honestly looked antique. They really are pretty, if I had the time, I'd love to make my own Kentucky Rifle.

I shoot with folks who build cap locks & flint lock pistols from kits. Rifles too! You really gotta come up & visit us.

My son graduated from Rowan last May. I took him a couple times to Bob's to shoot hand guns with me. Nice memories! Now he's an engineer in Iowa!

Let's make a plan to have you do some shooting with us. You'll really, really enjoy it!

Dave

Dave, I know we've talked a few times over on MLF about getting together to shoot, but I just haven't been able to make it happen with my medical problems. Well, I finally (knock on wood) am done with all the surgeries. I had my last one in October, and I hope to be going back to work in another week or so. We should try to get together sometime this spring.

I tried finding some info online about GSBPA, but there isn't much out there. When is the next shoot?

Dave, I know we've talked a few times over on MLF about getting together to shoot, but I just haven't been able to make it happen with my medical problems. Well, I finally (knock on wood) am done with all the surgeries. I had my last one in October, and I hope to be going back to work in another week or so. We should try to get together sometime this spring.

I tried finding some info online about GSBPA, but there isn't much out there. When is the next shoot?

Glad to hear from you! Also glad that you're doing better after that long road to recovery!

The next Shoot is the last Sunday of this month, up at The Farm off of Rt. 94 in Vernon Twp. Other Shoots will also follow. Getting together is a great idea, so let's do it by staying in-touch!

Thanks for the email! The Club has a private FB Page. We also have a volunteer that's supposed to be doing a web site?? Hopefully he'll get it going better soon. In the meantime, send me a PM from either here or the ML Forum, and thanks again!

Dave