DevsAdvocate

New range in West Paterson/Woodland Park?

While I also think $250 is steep, I will be trying it out for the year (can't pass up location). I have a feeling though at $350 next year or even $250 I will find myself up at Cherry Ridge driving the extra time for the price/facilities

No one said you have to join annually. It's $20 an hour to use the range. Not far off from the BH's $15hr or Paterson gunsmithing $18hr. Funny have everyone gets their panties in a wad soon as money is mentioned.

You do realize that it is nuts right? $250 is not bad, not a ton of money, but it is about value... and if you are a more than once a month shooter, you are better off going to Cherry Ridge, Shongum, Hacketstown,Tenafly or other private ranges.

$350 a year for membership, plus $75 for rifle, $425 + tax, almost $450 a year with taxes and you still have 1 hour slot and cant even bring your girlfriend/spouse.

Somerset Fish & Game, $90 a year is a freaking steal.

I feel bad for your folks up north, not enough shooting ranges. =)

but it is about value...

But how do you calculate value? For some people, a new "state of the art" facility, has value. There is something to be said about shooting at a range that has target movers that actually work properly... where you can dial in your desired distance. A nice, clean, friendly atmosphere is also a good thing, that for some people also adds to the value. And don't discount distance to the range. For some people, being 10-15 minutes away adds value as well. Now, since the range isn't even open yet, some of those "value adders" are still unknowns... but I wouldn't so hastily dismiss their price point as "nuts". For some people, it will be just right. The question is, will it be enough people...

ETA: And no, I won't be getting a membership. The 40-45 minute drive kills it for me. I will drop in hourly just to check the place out tho.

Because it's so wonderful here and it's so perfect. A Utopia of gun forums... /sarcasm. Really, have you looked around? Do you realize that for the most part the truly knowledgeable gun owners no longer post? The gun gurus are long gone and the mall ninjas are here to stay.

i guess that means youre not one of them? and when did i ever say this was a perfect forum?

• Like 1

ETA: And no, I won't be getting a membership. The 40-45 minute drive kills it for me. I will drop in hourly just to check the place out tho.

thats alot of money for just an indoor range. if its that far for you, its probably another 10-15min for me. for that price and distance, id rather go to cherry ridge. they may get business with hourly rates, but i dont see alot of memberships being sold, outside of local people.

But how do you calculate value? For some people, a new "state of the art" facility, has value. There is something to be said about shooting at a range that has target movers that actually work properly... where you can dial in your desired distance. A nice, clean, friendly atmosphere is also a good thing, that for some people also adds to the value. And don't discount distance to the range. For some people, being 10-15 minutes away adds value as well. Now, since the range isn't even open yet, some of those "value adders" are still unknowns... but I wouldn't so hastily dismiss their price point as "nuts". For some people, it will be just right. The question is, will it be enough people...

Absolutely right. =) I am not 15 mins away, and if I was, I would absolutely put it into consideration.

But what is a "state of the art" range? do the lanes come with back massagers? a free pee pee touch with every purchase. (just for radek)

thats alot of money for just an indoor range. if its that far for you, its probably another 10-15min for me. for that price and distance, id rather go to cherry ridge. they may get business with hourly rates, but i dont see alot of memberships being sold, outside of local people.

For me, IF it was closer, I might have considered it (at the discounted rate) just to not have to deal with tripping over gang bangers and rent-a-cops. I do agree that most of the membership will probably come from local (20 minute drive or less) people.

Absolutely right. =) I am not 15 mins away, and if I was, I would absolutely put it into consideration.

But what is a "state of the art" range? do the lanes come with back massagers? a free pee pee touch with every purchase. (just for radek)

"state of the art" may have been a bit of an overstatement on my part. I've probably spent a little too much time at the Bayonne range where the target movers routinely fall off the track, so I may have been overly impressed that RTSP has target movers where you can specify the distance and the target magically goes to that distance. ;)

As for the radek comment.. i'm leaving that one alone :icon_lol:

For me, IF it was closer, I might have considered it (at the discounted rate) just to not have to deal with tripping over gang bangers and rent-a-cops. I do agree that most of the membership will probably come from local (20 minute drive or less) people.

dude, its a public range, who says there won't be gang bangers and guys showing off to their girlfriends shooting out lights?

A private range is at least some sort of an entry barrier for safety. =)

I really hope they have a special like Brick Armory and Shore Shot do for forum members, even better, would be special hours, uspsa/idpa/fun matches. But you are right, they are yet to open, but I hope they listen to the people.

If they had a monthly indoor USPSA match, I would no doubt drive up there monthly for it.

dude, its a public range, who says there won't be gang bangers and guys showing off to their girlfriends shooting out lights?

They're not going to want to make the drive, just like I don't :onthequiet:

I would like to see the finish product before I give it my blessing. Too bad it's an hour away for me. I'll just do the hourly thing like most others will do and blast away.

In the end it is a public range.

With the cost to join and the "extras" you have to pay for, it is not worth it IMHO.

If I lived closer to CJ or OB, I would join in a heartbeat for roughly the same amount of money.

If I lived closer to PA I would join Topton.(Membership is $50-$75 a YEAR)

Luckily I still have my Riverdale membership. I can come and go as I please.

$350 a year for membership, plus $75 for rifle, $425 + tax, almost $450 a year with taxes and you still have 1 hour slot and cant even bring your girlfriend/spouse.

Wow didn't even price that out, just glad I'm close to OBRPC, cheaper and I can shoot in or out and 24 hours a day at the indoor, and CJRPC is even cheaper from what I understand, especially if you put in work hours and get others to join.

Harry

For me, the distance is worth it. Plus the fact I have SDOs means I'll be there during some weeknights and most Fridays. When the weather is good I'll just shoot over to PA for my $20/yr outdoor range.

I figured two things here:

1. It's close (=<20min) so it's worth a shot for $250 for one year. It's a little steep, but I don't have to worry about "range membership Sundays" (like at CR), and it is indoor (yay! I can shoot when it's crappy out).

2. If I decide it's not worth it, I can take solace in the fact that I helped support a new range in Morris County that I would still use even without the membership (just much less).

3. The utility of paying extra to use a rifle is not there... THAT is a waste of money.

And no, I won't be getting a membership. The 40-45 minute drive kills it for me. I will drop in hourly just to check the place out tho.

It looks like that's going to be my story as well. Now if someone would really open a range in West Paterson/Woodland Park...

Ok guys..final comment since I think the forum owner wants me/this thread done and gone. We hear all of your concerns. Is everything perfect (i.e. pricing/hrs etc..) NOPE...we are just opening and feeling everything out. Could things change over time - absolutely. If the opening price is too steep, then all we ask is you give it a try at the hourly rate. Meet us, see the facility and make your own decision if you want to commit. We have appreciated the input over the past few months during our build out. Now that we are ready to open (next two weeks or so), we will be onsite and listen to feedback in person. Trust me, we will listen and when appropriate, make changes. Be well all.......

• Like 1

Not sure, but I don't think the thread is getting out of hand, and as a few things earlier in the thread, ie; no reloads was your initial thoughts, and after hearing the comments from the folks here you changed that plan to allow it.

There has been a loot of good input, and some bitching and moaning but it is what it is, and you as a business owned and operator would rather know the real thoughts of your customers and/or potential customers. It may get a little brash at times, but honest feelings from your target audience should be considered very valuable to you. Yes there will be thing you can do, some you can't but working with and for your customer is what will make your new range a success.

Harry

• Like 1

Ok guys..final comment since I think the forum owner wants me/this thread done and gone. We hear all of your concerns. Is everything perfect (i.e. pricing/hrs etc..) NOPE...we are just opening and feeling everything out. Could things change over time - absolutely. If the opening price is too steep, then all we ask is you give it a try at the hourly rate. Meet us, see the facility and make your own decision if you want to commit. We have appreciated the input over the past few months during our build out. Now that we are ready to open (next two weeks or so), we will be onsite and listen to feedback in person. Trust me, we will listen and when appropriate, make changes. Be well all.......

So... uh... Where's the range? :icon_mrgreen: